Aggressive Drums: The Recording Guide (FaderWear Guides)

Recorded the drums on this with some advices took from the book!!
(Drums are all acoustic, the drummer is a monster hitter)

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that i cant get right with overheads...
Does exact distance from the microphones to the center of the snare also mean exact same height from the floor (spaced pair)?

Awesome book. i read it like once a month :rofl:

Well, it doesn't matter that much really. Most of the time I have them at different heights.

But i suppose they shouldn't be much different in height?
not exactly but i don't know..... "not so much" :rofl:

But i suppose they shouldn't be much different in height?
not exactly but i don't know..... "not so much" :rofl:

Most of the time the snare is a little more to the left side of the kit (from drummer's perspective), so unless you want the OhLeft to be farther away from the kit horizontally, the only way to get the distance the same from the snare as the OhRight is to raise it up a bit.

I find that it also helps because the OhLeft is now a little farther away from the Hi Hats, which always tend to be a little louder than you'd like in the Ohs, especially if they're a basher. Google drum OH mic pics and you should find plenty of examples where the OhLeft is considerably higher up than the OhRight.

Hi guys,
I know the aesthetics of this won't fit everybodys taste here (almost zero timing corrections, oldschool/human/natural vibe), but here is my first drums recording ever :

It's also the first album I totally produced, engineered, mixed, mastered...etc.
If you like the band : http://www.facebook.com/sutrahmusic

The book was really an amazing help, thank you a lot for writing it !
I'm glad I didn't had to use a lot of samples on drums in the end (they're between 70 to 90% natural, depending on the parts).
I even used the kick mic !

Hi guys,
I know the aesthetics of this won't fit everybodys taste here (almost zero timing corrections, oldschool/human/natural vibe), but here is my first drums recording ever :

It's also the first album I totally produced, engineered, mixed, mastered...etc.
If you like the band : http://www.facebook.com/sutrahmusic

The book was really an amazing help, thank you a lot for writing it !
I'm glad I didn't had to use a lot of samples on drums in the end (they're between 70 to 90% natural, depending on the parts).
I even used the kick mic !

I think this is amazing!