Aggressive Drums: The Recording Guide (FaderWear Guides)

Since you keep a lot of drums natural, how do you usually deal with bleed while editing? Strip silence, volume envelopes, sidechain a gate from a trigger splat, or just get it right with mic placement?

Thanks guys!

Since you keep a lot of drums natural, how do you usually deal with bleed while editing? Strip silence, volume envelopes, sidechain a gate from a trigger splat, or just get it right with mic placement?

I always try to record with minimal bleed. Editing is not different; if I need to move a snare hit, I will cut every track and the bleed will follow the hit.

I was more or less talking about getting rid of excessive bleed on natural drum tracks and how you prefered to do it. I am working on some live tracks of a band and need to keep everything natural and it's taking me a little longer than I expected.

I was more or less talking about getting rid of excessive bleed on natural drum tracks and how you prefered to do it. I am working on some live tracks of a band and need to keep everything natural and it's taking me a little longer than I expected.

Well, I don't have any special tricks. I just gate, expand and lo-pass. You can try a de-esser on the drums. Multiband compression might help too.

About tom tuning: I remember reading about how you should start tuning them from the floor tom and end with the smallest tom, because if you start the other way around, you may end up with the floor tom being extremely low tuned and potentially messing with the kick drum and/or being almost unusable for playing.

About tom tuning: I remember reading about how you should start tuning them from the floor tom and end with the smallest tom, because if you start the other way around, you may end up with the floor tom being extremely low tuned and potentially messing with the kick drum and/or being almost unusable for playing.

That might be the case if the drummer is using huge rack toms, but it's very uncommon these days. Where did you read that? The difference in tuning between the last rack tom and the floor tom is usually bigger than between the rack toms.

Actually, I really enjoyed your parallel drum buss compression article. Clearly laid out, nice pictures & to the point.

It's certainly helped on a personal level as I never quite figured out what approach to take..... I've never really been happy with parallell compression before up until now. Thanks, man!

-0z-