FaderWear Guides

Fuck yeah dude, I'll get in on that; my mom's an editor and the apple definitely doesn't fall from the tree in that respect!

Daunt -

I had done parallel compression in the past and didn't really like it. After reading your guides I decided to try it again... and it rocked for this project! I had to cut everything from 50hz down out of the parallel comp to keep things from getting muddy, and I didn't send the OH to the comp. It gives a nice punch to the drums... thanks for posting these, and reminding me to try this again! skol!

Wow, thanks!

I will try cover every aspect of drum recording on my guide:

• Drummer
  • Drums
  • Cymbals
  • Drum Heads
  • Drum Tuning
  • Recording Room
  • Setting the Levels
  • Building a Headphone Mix and a Click Track
  • Choosing the Right Microphone and Placement

• [*]Cymbals
      [*]Snare Drum
      [*]Kick Drum
      [*]Toms
      [*]Ambience
      [*]Drum Triggers
  • Sampling the Drumkit
  • Combining the Takes
  • Microphone Preamps and Pre-Processing

Anything missing? I also need a name for the guide. Something like "Aggressive Drums: The Recording Guide".

Wow, thanks!

I will try cover every aspect of drum recording on my guide:

• Drummer
  • Drums
  • Cymbals
  • Drum Heads
  • Drum Tuning
  • Recording Room
  • Choosing the Right Microphone and Placement

• [*]Overheads
      [*]Snare Drum
      [*]Kick Drum
      [*]Toms
      [*]Ambience
      [*]Drum Triggers
  • Microphone Preamps and Pre-Processing

Anything missing? I also need a name for the guide. Something like "Aggressive Drums: The Recording Guide".

You might wanna consider telling somethig about editing as well? Sampling etc.

Sampling the kit is a good idea, thanks! Editing is not recording :)

That could be a whole other guide.

Many of us here don't know to properly edit once recorded, I will admit I'm one of them. I just pan, remove all the silence/noise from certain tracks (toms), put some snare and kick samples then compress/EQ each track accordingly all into the main drum buss then call it a day.

:lol:

Tell me the hardest parts of drum recording? If I don't know the solutions, I will try to find them :)

Its not drum RECORDING, but when you get to the editing guide, I would love to see a section on phase alignment. I'm completely uninformed about that topic. :erk:

But in regards to recording, I think something on setting up overheads correctly (to preserve the stereo image the best) would be great :worship:

It's partly recording, partly editing... I would love to read something about composing different takes to one master drum-take.
I still don't know how to approach that.

It's partly recording, partly editing... I would love to read something about composing different takes to one master drum-take.
I still don't know how to approach that.

That's a good idea, thanks! The only problem is that it is very different in different programs. I know how to do it in Pro Tools with using the playlists, but haven't found a good way to do it in Cubase/Nuendo. Any suggestions?

Hmm... are Pro Tools Playlists some kind of composing-function?
Logic has that, too, so maybe Logic-Users can transfer at least the workflow of aligning different drumtakes.

But in regards to recording, I think something on setting up overheads correctly (to preserve the stereo image the best) would be great

the trick to keeping everything sounded cherry with the OH's is to base it all off of the snare

if using an x/y config, position the mics so that the snare is directly inbetween the capsules...you don't necessarily have to point them right at the snare, but make sure to keep it centered

if using a spaced pair, make sure your mics are equidistant from the snare...and the kick as well, if possible. this will keep the snare down the middle when you pan the OH's out wide, and will give you a realistic and phase coherent image of the kit. i was mixing a track a couple months ago where the OH's were totally out of alignment, and the snare would drift out to the left of the image as you panned the left OH mic. it was a total PITA, and thankfully it was just a song that i was dicking around with, because i would hate to have someone expect me to deliver a killer mix with those tracks.

Quick question about parallel compression: What processing do you tend to use on the "clean" tracks, if any, to make it sit well with the compressed track? Just whatever would normally be used anyway, if you weren't using the parallel comp?

Do anything you would normally do. Make it sound good and then add the parallel compression. Just don't overcompress the individual tracks.