More metal bands should do what Pain of Salvation are doing...

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
One of the trademarks of the Pain of Salvation sound is their ability to create complex multi-part vocal arrangements. You can hear this on such tracks as "Water" and "Waking Every God". Most metal bands don't seem to concentrate on this area of their music. They can create great music and a great vocal part... but they don't worry about enhancing the vocals with additional secondary vocal parts... I am not talking about backing vocals for the chorus... but multiple simultaneous vocal parts... I think more concentration on this neglected area of music could enhance metal. It is creative and adds an extra, deeper element to the music...

Apart from that vocal thing I really think that the music world should draw more attention on those guys - they are simply unique and creative - not like so many of those "artsy" groups that think they reinvented music but, in fact, offer nothing but dull stuff or musical incompetence in the guise of art.
I saw POS live once (on Dynamo this year) - they can live up to what they offer on their CDs!

One problem is that it's rare in most bands for more than one or two people to have a decent singing voice. PoS is quite lucky to have 2-3 good singers (Mr. Langell has sounded a bit off at times, live) and one f*cking amazing singer ;). Still, when bands have the personelle for it, there's no reason not to do some vocal counterpoint, where appropriate. If you're looking for other bands that do vocal counterpoint, here are some well known and not-so-well known artists:

Queen
Savatage (starting with _Handful of Rain_)
Gentle Giant (probably the progenitors of complex vocal counterpoint in rock music)
Echolyn (a group that sounds a bit like GG)
Underground Railroad (a group that sounds a LOT like Echolyn)
Bad Religion (just to throw in a SMART punk band that does it)
Genesis (1970-1975 -- PG and PC do counterpoint)

Now and Forever,
lmjh

Hey M. Harper.........which Echolyn would you recommend for starters? Actually, which is their best? From what I've read, I was leaning toward "Suffocating the Bloom".

They've been on my "to checkout" list for a while now.