ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
http://www.googlism.com/what_is/p/pain_of_salvation/

pain of salvation is a swedish progressive metal band
pain of salvation is truly a gem among progressive music
pain of salvation is a very well recieved prog band from sweden
pain of salvation is a 3rd edition dungeons and dragons adventure campaign set in the lands of greyhawk
pain of salvation is back with a follow
pain of salvation is still able to
pain of salvation is gewoon beter dan dream theater
pain of salvation is making serious inroads towards becoming a premier progressive metal band
pain of salvation is one of the bands that i found randomly a couple of years ago
pain of salvation is that the tech and weirdness is becoming more subtle
pain of salvation is finally complete
pain of salvation is daniel gildenlow on lead vocals and guitar
pain of salvation is the band “reality” which was formed by daniel gildenlöw when he was 11 years old
pain of salvation is confirmed for progpower us 2001
pain of salvation is an innovative progressive metal band from sweden
pain of salvation is daniel gildenlow
pain of salvation is something new and difficult to describe
pain of salvation is on tour with dream theater in europe right now
pain of salvation is taking a lot of time
pain of salvation is about taking the bad with the good and taking the good with the bad
pain of salvation is the strong sense of melody
pain of salvation is 1 of the best bands ever
pain of salvation is a band you need to hear
pain of salvation is wel gaaf
pain of salvation is an outfit you really need to
pain of salvation is nearly as complex as their music
pain of salvation is in a class of its own
pain of salvation is not to enter the realm of mere "music" or "tracks"; the band represents the causal link between noise
pain of salvation is really starting to make some headway
pain of salvation is very present in this track
pain of salvation is a name that represents the balance in life and the need for sacrifice when one wishes to accomplish
pain of salvation is real back
pain of salvation is both totally metal and beyond metal
pain of salvation is growing and it begins to blunt as one of the best bands of progressive metal
pain of salvation is all about
pain of salvation is a dark
pain of salvation is probably one of my favorite fates warning esque bands at the moment
pain of salvation is a band that releases only high quality albums
pain of salvation is a swedish band in the progressive metal genre
pain of salvation is a very technical progressive metal group that does not make the mistake of letting a focus on
pain of salvation is all about into one tune
pain of salvation is swedish
pain of salvation is a very eclectic swedish progressive metal band
pain of salvation is a criminally unknown band
pain of salvation is not less than the remaining bands that want to be the second dream theater
pain of salvation is without any doubt one of those exceptions
pain of salvation is een draai van 180 graden
pain of salvation is a 180 degree turn
pain of salvation is by far my very best band of the moment
pain of salvation is that they are not afraid to experiment
pain of salvation is one of the largest and most successful bands currently at balsta
pain of salvation is running with high speed towards the top of my list
pain of salvation is from sweden
pain of salvation is my favorite and
pain of salvation is one of today's best
pain of salvation is echter progressief in de letterlijke betekenis van het woord door akoestische passages of klassieke invloeden niet te schuwen
pain of salvation is now serving
pain of salvation is no exception
pain of salvation is no longer involved in the project
pain of salvation is your band
pain of salvation is now officially my second
pain of salvation is hasonló stílusban mozog
pain of salvation is niet weg te slaan uit deze spelers
pain of salvation is a swedish progressive metal band with a unique style
pain of salvation is nothing but stunning
pain of salvation is hardly known at all
pain of salvation is not a dream theater clone/ typical prog
pain of salvation is really some brilliant musicians
pain of salvation is ok
pain of salvation is today's leading progressive band
pain of salvation is a unique mixture of what progmetal let some band do
pain of salvation is a good album
pain of salvation is without a doubt one of the best concept cd's released last year
pain of salvation is great
pain of salvation is playing progpowerusa november 15th
pain of salvation is scheduled to
pain of salvation is the respect
pain of salvation is
pain of salvation is the band man
pain of salvation is another band who aren't afraid to take a political stand
pain of salvation is a band in
pain of salvation is not your average dream theater clone
pain of salvation is a new band within the
pain of salvation is very much about balance and contrast and sometimes having to take the pain to achieve something
pain of salvation is zeker een band om in de gaten te houden
pain of salvation is making music for the listeners of prog metal / rock
pain of salvation is one of progressive metal's most promising bands
pain of salvation is an amazing progressive band from sweden
pain of salvation is always an inspiration for musicians

Can someone answer this one for me: what is so progressive about "progress" rock/"metal"? The fact that it sounds like music from the eighties or the excessive guitar masturbation (in some cases)? Thanks in advance. :)

I totally agree Naggamaneth, prog metal is anything but progressive- but Pain of Salvation isnt the band to be accusing of unoriginality.

Naggamanteh said:
Can someone answer this one for me: what is so progressive about "progress" rock/"metal"? The fact that it sounds like music from the eighties or the excessive guitar masturbation (in some cases)? Thanks in advance. :)
Can you answer me how in the world you can lump POS into the category of prog that sounds like music from the eighties and has excessive guitar masturbation? Because that simply isn't the case.

buchkoba00 said:
Can you answer me how in the world you can lump POS into the category of prog that sounds like music from the eighties and has excessive guitar masturbation? Because that simply isn't the case.
I was making no reference to POS whatsoever; I hardly know them. I think I heard one track and I enjoyed it. However, I posted the question in this thread because I thought some POS fans also like other bands that fall into the progress rock cathegory and I honestly wanted to know why the genre is called the way it is.

Naggamanteh said:
I was making no reference to POS whatsoever; I hardly know them. I think I heard one track and I enjoyed it. However, I posted the question in this thread because I thought some POS fans also like other bands that fall into the progress rock cathegory and I honestly wanted to know why the genre is called the way it is.
OK then - I'll give it a shot.

"Progressive really falls into two categories: Progressive Metal and Progressive rock.

Progressive rock DID start out as what you might call the dictionary definition of progressive, different and new. Bands like Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant etc.
As time went on, this style of music stopped being about really different wacky music but a style of music unto itself. Think of New Wave from the 80's. It was called New Wave because it was a totally new style of music that no one had heard before. Now the term New Wave is associated with a style of music (cheesy 80's crap).

Then came prog metal, and took SOME elements of prog rock and expanded on them with METAL. Again- what started out as different and new because a style of music. Prog metal.

I think that far too often metal bands get thrown into the prog metal category. Symphony X would be one example, just because they play really fast solos and long songs doesn't really make them prog, but that is another argument.

So yeah, there certainly are a shit load of copy-cat "prog" acts out there. Fortunetly there are some bands that I would still call progressive in the "dictionary" sense of the word, Pain of Salvation would be one of those bands.