More Rush questions

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
I've decided that my next purchases from the Lee/Lifeson/Peart collection will be Fly By Night and A Farewell to Kings. I was thinking of adding Permanent Waves to the list, but I don't know a whole lot about it. Is it a good 'un?

Also, when I was six or seven (early eighties here folks), I remember watching some space-age animated film with a very cool soundtrack. I'm certain the end credits said "Music by Rush".
Can anyone else shed some light on this?

W

I've decided that I'm the resident Rush expert, so I shall answer your questions.

Permanent Waves is an excellent album and, it has been reported, was the first album ever released in 1980. Great stuff on it - Spirit of Radio, Natural Science, lots of other goodies too. I'd get it before Fly By Night and A Farewell to Kings, actually.

What other Rush albums to do you have?

Hmm, don't know about the animated film with a very cool soundtrack. Don't know anything about them doing music for a film.

I have 2112, All The World's A Stage, Moving Pictures, Exit Stage Left, Chronicles (which is spinning as I type) and both Retrospectives. I'll be getting Fly By Night just because I *really* like "In The End" and want to hear the studio version. Farewell to Kings is on the list just because of "Closer to the Heart" and "Xanadu". What other reasons do I need? :)

W

Wrathy, why don't you have anything post-Moving Pictures? Hmm? Hold Your Fire is one of the greats, and Counterparts is even better. In fact, the only post-Moving Pictures albums I'm not too keen on are Power Windows and Vapor Trails (their latest one, which I can't seem to get into).

Fly By Night is great stuff though, and A Farewell to Kings is frickin' awesome - Permanent Waves is just better, that's all. And don't bust a gut getting Caress of Steel - some OK stuff but hardly a must-get just at the moment.

All my post-Moving Pictures stuff is on Retrospective II and the second half of Chronicles. I like most of it but want to catch up on some of the earlier albums first. I quite like what I've heard of Grace Under Pressure though.

W