Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
MORS PRINCIPIUM EST - INHUMANITY
Listenable Records - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

cover.jpg

Coming totally straight out of left field, Inhumainty is one of the most enjoyable surprises of the year. The debut album of the Finnish Mors Principium Est, Inhumanity is rooted deeply in melodic death metal but it constitutes this new wave (third?) of bands striving to put themselves on the map. After the onslaught of bands the past couple of years imitating the likes of In Flames and Dark Tranquillity and boring a wide majority of us, it would seem a little premature to get so excited over this album. The influx of those bands has died down and some newcomers are rising to the challenge and show that they are not trying to imitate but rather to create and Mors Principium Est (ok that is the last time I put their entire name) establishes just that.

One of the biggest reasons that I was able to warm up to the album is the fact that I did not hear other bands in the music. That was the problem that many other new melodic death metal bands were having, the unshakable feeling that you had heard their music somewhere. I just do not get that feeling with Insanity instead we are treated to great music.

From the blistering, galloping and melodic opener “Another Creation”, that might feature the best solos of the album (the solo in “Inhumanity” is also really good), to the moody keyboards of “The Lust Called Knowledge” (coupled with some cool bass work) this band has definitely brought something new to the table. The keyboards here are not used like bands such as Children of Bodom instead they are used to add ambiance and mood and for the most part one rarely hears them. The singing is aggressive and similar in style to Pekka’s of Kalmah but probably more high-pitched.

The biggest draw that this band has going for them is the fact that Inhumanity sounds very polished and nothing that one would expect from a debut. It sounds like this band has been around a couple of albums. This undoubtedly will help them in the future and if they are able to take the positives and strive to improve this band should be one to watch out for.

Listenable Records Website
Mors Principium Est Official Website

The biggest draw that this band has going for them is the fact that Insanity sounds very polished and nothing that one would expect from a debut
you mean Inhumanity? ;)

yeah, this album is definitely one of the best releases this year. the keyboard is not overemphasized but rather rounds up and the songs.
and the melodies are simply great.
(btw, i find MPE's singer and Kalmah's singer have about the same pitch )

Actually, as far as originality goes, I think the use of the keyboards isn't at all that far removed from other melodic death bands--they seem to emulate the more recent Dark Tranquility sound pretty faithfully, and this is to say nothing of the Stromblad worship in Another Creation. It has it's moments, and some pretty distinctive and creative leads, and winds up more or less as the best melodic death album in a while...although really, is that much of an accomplishment? But I digress.

One Inch Man said:
A decent album, but insanely unoriginal.

What a load of shite, unoriginal to an untrained ear! [a great album]