Most emotive Katatonia lyrics?

VampiricYouth

Jul 15, 2005
If you could pick one line out of Kataonia's entire lyrical career which you found the most emotive, which would it be?

I'd have to say

"Headlights fuck the city" off of Deadhouse.

Those four words just conjour up the image of someone standing in the rain on a wet road in between incoming and ongoing traffic in the early hours of the morning, their headlights making the rain drops very pronounced and giving quick penetrations on the city buildings as they drive past.

Maybe I'm crazy.

"Id like to try to live my life again, Id like to see where Ive been going wrong"
STRAINED

shit....really its that whole song

I overdosed on heroin once....I had just bought a shower at a truckstop for 45 minutes....went in....shot up.....fell out....hit my face on the floor.....about 1 hour later my friend who was waiting for me figured something was wrong......so he get into the room somehow(I think it was a screwdriver) and there I was all blue and not breathing....he called an ambulance.....they came in and cut all my clothes off of me....forced some tube down my throat.......the whole time I thought everything was cool.....I felt really at peace...they kept asking me questions and I thought I was answering them....but I wasnt breathing.....not untill they pulled out the tube and I puked all over......then this hot EMT took me to the hospital....I hit on her a few times......and then I sang STRAINED to myself in the back of the ambulance on the way to the hospital.......half dead......I listened to TD for that whole year.......nonstop....I identified with it....its desperation.....and sadness....but especially the song STRAINED.....

Reece

"let's stay here for a while. is something gonna happen today?"

"and if you really think you've seen me. i have to prove you that you're wrong"

"Look at me now they have cut my hair"

"the sound of falling when the pictures are moving between the memories"

"i never thought i would laugh again
i should be knowing this it used to be me"

"somehow i never leave this deadhouse
somehow i don't mind being gone"

"the sun with its blue sky outside
shining down on all you happy people
i'm wasting my day for rain"

and every single lyrics of tonight's decision.

"Wherever you are I am not."

"Your smile has decayed it will never be the same."

"Any colours to express apart from bleak is hard."

While all simple really, those seem to have a lot to say.

This is my first post by the way, so hello everyone! :wave:

'I'd like to try to live my life again / I'd like to see where I was going wrong'

That really gets me.

'You would never sleep at night if you knew what I've been through'

'The sound of falling when the pictures are moving between the memories'

'I'm the evidence / You passed the test and that's so good for you'

It sounds so sad and bitter.

'KEEP IT QUIET HERE / I WILL NOT TOLERATE YOUR NOISE / THIS IS WHERE I LISTEN FOR THE FORGIVING VOICE / IT HAUNTS MY DREAMS'

There was one night where that, out of nowhere, just went straight through me.

'Tonight my head is full of wishes, and everything I drink is full of her'

'They bless me with their fingers crossed'

'In time we all call out for relief / See two lovers meet / Pass you on the street'

'We went in / My voice was thin / When I told you to remember....'

I don't know, but when he says it in the past tense like that, it really gets to me.

'And if you come by just this last time, I'll be here / And I will talk to you like if this had never been'

'In your eyes, in your eyes, you're alive / But in my eyes, you're a lie'

'In the water I saw you drown / Down the water I saw you drown'

'Any colours to express / Apart from bleak is hard'

And last but not least:

'I want to be forgotten'

EvilVince said:
"If you only knew what I would do for you"

or

"If you die I will die too"

I find those lines very, um, cancerian.

-Vince

I LOVE the lyrics to evidence. Those lines to me give the feeling of someone who loves anougher so much that it becomes to much to bear that the feeling isn't felt by the other party.

Thats how I am at the moment....

"how could this go so very far that I need someone to say
what is wrong not with the world but me" from Tonight's music

Whole "Clean today".

Also "time to catch something since my ticket says the end" from At last.

I always saw "headlights fuck the city" as viewing from a distance, where you see the skyline and a stram if lights going into it.

Lots of Kat lyrics hit me pretty hard in places, but a few lines from "The future of speech", "Evidence" and "One Year From now" and Chrome' more than others.

Thing about Katatonia lyrics are that they're not very well written, no offence intended, but sometimes they just don't read as very grammatically correct, but there's just something about them...

It's the same with drums, the beats are incredibly simple for most songs, especially those off of discouraged ones, but they were played with such emotion that the drums, instead of just setting a beat, actually conveyed the same melancholy as the rest of the album.

"burn down my house
make something happen
stab me in the heart
to make something stop" - Chrome

the desperation to overcome the unbearable tedium.. so perfectly conveyed in these words.

"so much I want to ask you
had no time to let me do so
there is no light in my pathway
you must tell me where to go" - Sulfur

"but everything is now, a film on rewind
I was with you alone
winter was gone" - March 4

I saw someone that I've loved for so long again on March 4th.. two year ago I had said goodbye to him and thought I'd never see him again.. but there was just so much that I wanted to tell him, so much that I wanted to ask him.. but we had to part.. I really felt like there was "no light in my pathway". Then I saw him on March 4th two years later, everything's changed - just like all Katatonia songs, there are never the optimistic endings that so often appear in corny Hollywood movies - I saw him.. I wanted to tell him everything that I had no chance to say, but like Jonas sings in March 4: "but everything is now, a film on rewind".. he's changed, moved on, gone.. will "never return a second time"..