Most Memorable Concert?

stryder

Jan 9, 2008
Murrieta
I thought it would be fun to share thoughts on Live shows so:

1) 1970 Led Zeppelin Honolulu International Center :Smokin:
(somebody past me a hand rolled cigarate, Maui Waui)

2) Santana with Buddy Miles on Drums Diamond Head Crater 1971 :cry:
(somebody gave me a of suger cube L-25)

3) Black Sabbath with Ozzy , I think Montrose opened 1974 or 5:zombie:
( I was peaking and the rectifier went out)

4) Kiss with Cheap Trick , I think 1974/75 , it was the Destryor tour. o_O
( Can you smell the honey oil?)

5) Genesis , RUSH and Floyd always great shows, I have seen all there tours since 1975 :headbang:
(What I ca remember)

I am kinda dating my self but 50 is the new 40 and yes I was 12 when I saw Zep, I am a bit bias towards some bands because I worked the show so excluded them.

Pink Floyd is the best live act I've seen. I've seen them 5 times, and I would rate 4 of them is my top 4 concerts of all time. The best sound and light show of any live act..and I've been to over 100 shows not counting club gigs. Best one was probably in 87 in Oakland at the indoor coliseum arena..that was in surround sound. The one at the outdoor coliseum in 88 was great too. It was raining that night and it actually made the lasers look even cooler. Only disppointing one was at Hughes Stadium in Sacto a couple of nights earlier. Not all the lights were working properly, but beyond that they were being so tight-assed about letting people in just a few at a time that we didn't get in until 20 minutes after the show started..and it was RESERVED SEATING. *grrrrr* Genesis in '82 at the Greek was awesome..sound was perfect. I've seen Yes 15 times, but the best one was Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe in '89 at Cal Expo. The shows in 91 and 04 were excellent too. Rush has been good every time I've seen them, but the Test for Echo tour in 96 is definitely up there, along with the show in 90 at Arco promoting Presto. Grace Under Pressure in 84 at the Cow Palace was really good too. Styx on the Paradise Theatre tour (Oakland Arena 81) kicked some major ass..great show. Def Leppard in 87 at Arco was the best hard rocking concert I've seen. And finally, Emerson Lake and Palmer in 97 at the Concord Pavilion. Best set list they've played in the 7 times I've seen them, and I was in the front row.

The title of the thread is "most memorable" so I'll list two that were just that...in the wrong way.

1990 - Billy Joel at the Sports Arena in LA. My wife and I leave the concert and come out to....nothing, my truck got stolen while we were in the concert. And we were in South Central LA at Midnight!!

2007 - Police Reunion tour at the Honda Center in Anaheim. Everything was fine until :puke: we got barfed on by the guy above us in the nosebleed section! Yuck!

The most memorable and "good" concert I've seen is probably Aerosmith in Denver in 1998 or so. Steven Tyler is just too freakin good!

Easily Dream Theater's Images and Words at the Boardwalk in Sacramento, 1992. They were fairly unknown and I met all the guys. Portnoy was so awesome. He and James LabRie were very friendly and appreciative of the support. Myung was quiet. Petrucci was surrounded by guitar freaks (like Sorrell, LOL). KevMo was kind of a prick. But what a night!

1) 1970 Led Zeppelin Honolulu International Center :Smokin:

Jealous! I was 14 when they came to Oakland in '77...about a year shy of becoming a total fanatic.

Been to a lot of good shows, but if I had to choose a most memorable, it would have to be Rick Wakeman at the Fox Theater in Stockton in 80-something. This place was literally a club. The caped Wakeman was surrounded by keys and pitchers of beer on a tiny little "stage" (more of a raised platform, really). We stood there about three feet away watching in awe the entire show. Waited around out back afterwards for about a half hour, until becoming aware of our surroundings (Stockton at 1am is not a good place to be hanging out in some alley.)

Yep, that was the best. :worship: :kickass:

One I forgot to mention the Police , there first tour Haloween night in San Fran , they thought people were crazy , they don't have Haloween in england, everybody wqas dressed in costumes,

I was at the Hughes stadium show for Floyd, it was cloudy night and the sky openend up and all the folks I was with had indulge in some chemicals , except me I got to babysit and drive , I did see Aerosmoth in early 70's ,I was front center , Tyler would lean forward and his scarfs would be right in my face , I broke 2 ribs from the audience crushing forward, bruises on my chest lasted for months , damn to be young again.

I am going to see Blue Cheer Sunday night, great blues band " Summertime Blues"

Soory about the car , but it was a pinto

1988 - The U.S. Monsters Of Rock tour--Van Halen, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken, Kingdom Come. Memphis, TN at the Liberty Bowl stadium, high 90s all day long. We burned up! But we weren't as fired up as the music was. A great show from all five bands. Things got quite interesting between the final two sets(Scorpions & Van Halen). A trash fight broke out among the entire 40,000+ capacity. The only thing you could see for minutes on end were wadded up rappers and Coca Cola cups flying through the air. It was chaotic, but fun. Guess you can contribute that insanity to the heat and impatience.

Wow, this is tough to try and narrow it down to just 5 shows, as I have seen a lot of incredible shows over the years....

1. 2007 - Nightwish (Roseland Theater, Portland, OR): Took my 10 year old son to their show at a small place in downtown Portland, Oregon. My current favorite band, and they made a wonderful memory for my son and I. We were in the front row, and my son got a stick form the opening band's drummer, a set list from Nightwish's singer Anette, and she shook my son's hand. They sounded great live, and were very enjoyable to watch.
2. 1985 - Day On The Green (Oakland Stadium, Oakland, CA): Victory, Metallica, Yngwie Malmsteen, Y&T, Ratt, and The Scorpions. I am fortunate that I got to see Metallica on this day with Cliff Burton. (If you've ever seen the "Cliff Em All" home video, the live performance of "For Whom The Bell Tolls" was recorded at this concert), Yngwie bored me, and Ratt looked great, but sounded terrible. Y&T has always been one of my fav bands, and they were playing for a hometown crowd and kicked serious ass, as was Metallica. The Scorpions were awesome as well.
3. 1997 - Rush (The Gorge, George, WA): This was on the "Test For Echo" tour, and took place at a beautiful outdoor ampitheater know as The Gorge. It is basically set up right on the edge of the Columbia River gorge in central Washington. 3 hour set, no opening band. It was my second time seeing Rush, and it was an absolutely perfect setting. Up until Rush played Rio sometime later, this was their biggest outdoor show, with over 20,000 people in attendance.
4. 1996 - KISS on the Reunion tour (Tacoma Dome, Tacoma, WA): I was a HUGE KISS fan as a kid, and had never gotten the chance to see the original lineup in makeup, so this tour was a dream come true for me. Felt like it was 1977 all over again. They looked great, sounded great, and show with all the pyro and stuff was incredible!
5. 1991 - Queensryche (Seattle Center Coliseum, Seattle, WA): The "Empire" tour, in which they did the "Operation: MIndcrime" album in it's entirety. QR at their peak. Unbelievable show in their hometown on New Year's Eve. At the stroke of midnight, they counted down to the New Year with lasers on the ceiling of the building, and toasted the crowd.

Honorable Mention:
1. Dream Theater on the "6DOIT" tour: Saw this tour at the Warfield in San Francisco. It was the first time I met Koelling and Sorrell in person. It was an "evening with" show. More memorable than the show was Koelling's hospitality to me, who was a complete stranger to him at the time.
2. Journey on the "Frontiers" tour. Outdoor show in Eugene, OR. The last good Journey album, and really the last tour with the classic Journey lineup. Bryan Adams and Sammy Hagar opened the show.
3. Judas Priest on the "Angel Of Retribution" tour: Reunion with Rob Halford on vocals. Outdoor venue in Vancouver, WA similar to the Chronicle Pavilion in Concord, CA. Had never gotten the chance to see Halford with Priest, so this was a great show. Queensryche opened, and they sounded amazing as well.

Robby

Triumph - 1983 Never Surrender tour. My very first concert. All of the Triumph shows after that (Thunder Seven, Sport of Kings)
Van Hagar 5150 tour. First time seeing EVH live... awesome.
Queensryche on the Empire. All of Mindcrime live with Degarmo!!!
All the Dream Theater shows I've been to.

Since we are in our way back machine...

Yes - Going For The One tour with Donovan. 1977
1_1296_1.jpg

And the Yes Tormato Tour in 1978 were killer!!:headbang:
1_1381_1.jpg

I saw Frank Zappa first row at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion on Dec 31 1977 He played for 4 hours it was AWESOME!:kickass:

I was at CAL JAM II on 3/18/1978 at the Ontario Motor Speedway with Aerosmith, Foreigner, Heart, Ted Nugent, Santana, Frank Marino & Mahagony Rush etc... nothing like hangin out with 250,000 people. Went to sleep the night before in sleeping bags and woke up in a sea of people...

This was Aerosmith's set that day...:headbang:

01.Rats In The Cellar
02.I Wanna Know Why
03.Big Ten Inch Record
04.Seasons Of Wither
05.Sweet Emotion
06.Lord Of The Thighs
07.Dream On
08.Chip Away At The Stone
09.Lick And A Promise
10.Get The Lead Out
11.Get It Up
12.Draw The Line
13.No More,No More
14.Same Old Song And Dance
15.Milk Cow Blues
16.Train Kept A Rollin

Those are some old favorites, I've been to a million great shows since

1988 - The U.S. Monsters Of Rock tour--Van Halen, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken, Kingdom Come. Memphis, TN at the Liberty Bowl stadium, high 90s all day long. We burned up! But we weren't as fired up as the music was. A great show from all five bands. Things got quite interesting between the final two sets(Scorpions & Van Halen). A trash fight broke out among the entire 40,000+ capacity. The only thing you could see for minutes on end were wadded up rappers and Coca Cola cups flying through the air. It was chaotic, but fun. Guess you can contribute that insanity to the heat and impatience.

Monsters of Rock in LA almost became a riot. When Metallica came on and played Creeping Death, the croud rushed the field and the LA Memorial Coliseum where they had chairs... Security couldn't stop it! They had to stop Metallica's set 3 times to try to regain order, there was this sea of chairs being passed forward until they reached the stage, and this monsterous 30 yard wide mosh it broke out at mid field.. totally crazy.. it was all general admission after that! lol Great show... It was over 100 degrees that day too... I think that show was in mid July...

2. 1986 - Day On The Green (Oakland Stadium, Oakland, CA): Victory, Metallica, Yngwie Malmsteen, Y&T, Ratt, and The Scorpions. I am fortunate that I got to see Metallica on this day with Cliff Burton. (If you've ever seen the "Cliff Em All" home video, the live performance of "For Whom The Bell Tolls" was recorded at this concert), Yngwie bored me, and Ratt looked great, but sounded terrible. Y&T has always been one of my fav bands, and they were playing for a hometown crowd and kicked serious ass, as was Metallica. The Scorpions were awesome as well.

I was at that show..only it was in 1985. What a great day that was!

Check this out, I had no idea Day on the Green was on Wikipedia :)

4/1/06- Dream Theater played Radio City. I am happy to say, I was there! What a show it was! Opening up the second half with an Orchestra!!!!!

Opeth's Ghost Revries tour. I caught a few shows, and LOVED the opening ballet! hahaha

Let's see..in chronological order:

~ June 1981 - Van Halen (Fair Warning tour), Oakland Coliseum
This was my very first concert, so of course it's among the most memorable.
~ November 1983 - Queensrÿche and Dio (QR - EP tour/Dio - Holy Diver tour), San Jose Civic Auditorium
Little did I know at the time that I was pregnant with my daughter at this show..she also "saw" a Black Sabbath show while in utero *g*.
~ September 1989 - Metallica (And Justice For All tour), Cal Expo Amphitheater (Sacramento, CA)
This was the very first show I went to alone..my then-husband had left me & our 2 young children about 6 months earlier, & it was very empowering to go alone, as I'd always been the one to stay home with the kid(s) so he could go to concerts when we were together.
~March 1997 - Power of Omens (Eyes of the Oracle 'tour'), Medieval Knights (San Antonio, TX)
A huge show for me on a personal level, & the very first show ever by Power of Omens, the first band I ever worked for.
~January 2001 - Symphony X (V tour), The Beehive (Pittsburgh area, PA)
Symphony X's second US show ever, and the first time I ever met the band..little did I know then that I'd be where I am with them now.

Let's see..in chronological order:

~ June 1981 - Van Halen (Fair Warning tour), Oakland Coliseum
This was my very first concert, so of course it's among the most memorable.
~ November 1983 - Queensrÿche and Dio (QR - EP tour/Dio - Holy Diver tour), San Jose Civic Auditorium
Little did I know at the time that I was pregnant with my daughter at this show..she also "saw" a Black Sabbath show while in utero *g*.
~ September 1989 - Metallica (And Justice For All tour), Cal Expo Amphitheater (Sacramento, CA)
This was the very first show I went to alone..my then-husband had left me & our 2 young children about 6 months earlier, & it was very empowering to go alone, as I'd always been the one to stay home with the kid(s) so he could go to concerts when we were together.
~March 1997 - Power of Omens (Eyes of the Oracle 'tour'), Medieval Knights (San Antonio, TX)
A huge show for me on a personal level, & the very first show ever by Power of Omens, the first band I ever worked for.
~January 2001 - Symphony X (V tour), The Beehive (Pittsburgh area, PA)
Symphony X's second US show ever, and the first time I ever met the band..little did I know then that I'd be where I am with them now.

Um....in a few months you can add one more concert to that list. :headbang:

I loved Cal Expo , on a summer night with no wind it was a great place , freakin city ordinace shut it down , noise code violations my ass , kids screaming on the park rides were louder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Drummer
2. 1986 - Day On The Green (Oakland Stadium, Oakland, CA): Victory, Metallica, Yngwie Malmsteen, Y&T, Ratt, and The Scorpions. I am fortunate that I got to see Metallica on this day with Cliff Burton. (If you've ever seen the "Cliff Em All" home video, the live performance of "For Whom The Bell Tolls" was recorded at this concert), Yngwie bored me, and Ratt looked great, but sounded terrible. Y&T has always been one of my fav bands, and they were playing for a hometown crowd and kicked serious ass, as was Metallica. The Scorpions were awesome as well.

It was actually August 31 1985

Scorpions, Ratt,Y and T, Metalica, Rising Force and Victory