most strategic bass trap placement

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
im ordering some OC 703 from a supplier in my area. Its gonna be $142.00 for 12 sheets of 2 inch. Now i ask you, what is the most strategic placement for my room?

I was thinking the 2 corners next to my speakers to be 8 feet tall by 2 feet wide by 4 inches thick. Now thats already 8 sheets. Then maybe the remaining 4 to be one to my left wall, one to my right wall and 2 as a cloud above me.

Thoughts?

My room is 16 feet long, 12 feet wide and my ceiling is 8 feet tall. I am at the end of the room facing a big window.

i also just saw an ad on craigslist for 200 sqft of egg crate style studio foam for $100. Should i maybe buy this and use it for early reflections on my left and right as opposed to bass traps?

I was thinking the 2 corners next to my speakers to be 8 feet tall by 2 feet wide by 4 inches thick. Now thats already 8 sheets. Then maybe the remaining 4 to be one to my left wall, one to my right wall and 2 as a cloud above me.

Thoughts?

My room is 16 feet long, 12 feet wide and my ceiling is 8 feet tall. I am at the end of the room facing a big window.

Can you afford to get twice as much? That way you could superchunk the 4 main corners floor to ceiling, cover some wall-ceiling corners, cover your first reflection points and have some left over to treat the back wall. In a room 16' x 12' x 8', you're going to have some serious modal issues to deal with as the 8' mode will reinforce both of the other modes at certain intervals. All that means is the more bass trapping, the better. If you can afford it, it will be one of the best investments you can make in your studio.

Can you afford to get twice as much? That way you could superchunk the 4 main corners floor to ceiling, cover some wall-ceiling corners, cover your first reflection points and have some left over to treat the back wall. In a room 16' x 12' x 8', you're going to have some serious modal issues to deal with as the 8' mode will reinforce both of the other modes at certain intervals. All that means is the more bass trapping, the better. If you can afford it, it will be one of the best investments you can make in your studio.

not at the moment, this is the only money i will have for a little while so i have to make it last and place it the most efficient way possible. I could always make the corner traps 2 inches thick, that way i can do all 4 corners, but then they wont be nearly as effective (i wouldnt think so at least)

I could always make the corner traps 2 inches thick

2" won't reach down anywhere near low enough to be effective at all. 4" straddling is the absolute minimum for useful corner treatment.

I'd say go with your original plan for now, but superchunk the front wall-wall corners instead of flat panels. If you're making 8 triangles per sheet, it will use the same amount of 703 as your original plan, but be a bit more effective and reach a bit lower. Then, when you can afford it, superchunk the back 2 wall-wall corners. You'll LOVE the difference.