Motley Crue Update - Tommy and Mick speak, video from Leno, more tour dates + BOD

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
The four members of MÖTLEY CRÜE were recently interviewed by Metal Edge magazine for a cover story about their upcoming reunion tour. Several excerpts from drummer Tommy Lee's portion of the interview follow:

Metal Edge: Over the years, you were always the most vocal about not going back to MÖTLEY CRÜE. Why go back now?

Tommy Lee: "I'm here… You know, I played on a couple of tracks, and [our manager's] been talking about people wanting us to come out and do some shows. I was like, 'Well, I'm making another record right now, the timing for this is fucking terrible, there's so much shit going on, but maybe I can kick the thing off and get it started...' I'm not sure, there's a lot of open things here, so we'll see what happens. Fuck, we haven't even rehearsed! [Laughing] [note: the interview was conducted prior to the press conference on Dec. 6 announcing the reunion tour] Here we are making a video and recording songs. This is so fucking weird. [Laughing]"

Metal Edge: Have you guys even been in contact at all?

Tommy Lee: No! Me and Nikki [Sixx, bass] were in there to record… Yesterday was the first time the four of us were even in a room together!"

Metal Edge: Did that feel weird?

Tommy Lee: "Yeah, it was fuckin' strange! And seeing Mick [Mars, guitar] was really freakin' me out… Really freakin' me out. I was sitting there yesterday when he walked in, and I was like, 'Whoah!' It made me extremely sad — it's just fuckin' crazy! The doctors are saying he's going to be fine by February, but they must know something I don't know. We're all supporting him, and we're all being buds, but it looks painful. I don't know what to say. It's quite a shocker, actually."

Metal Edge: How did the new material come about?

Tommy Lee: "One of the songs is a cover [ROLLING STONES' 'Street Fighting Man'], which I didn't play on — I think Josh Freese [A PERFECT CIRCLE] did. I think 'If I Die Tomorrow' came from SIMPLE PLAN. I played on that one, and 'Liar' is another one I played on. Then there's 'Sick Love Song' — that's the one that I told everyone should be the first single, but nobody's listening to me around here! I guess I can't expect them to, when you just jump in and everybody's already got it figured out!"

Metal Edge: It doesn't sound like getting back together was very organic.

Tommy Lee: "I'm going to be really honest with you, I just think this is all really rushed. First of all, my heart wants Mick to get well, and then let's go fuckin' rip it, it'll be awesome for one last time. But he's not in good health right now, and a lot of this doesn't feel good to me. Everyone else is in a good headspace here, but if I were running the show, I'd wait 'till he was absolutely one hundred percent, then go fuckin' rip it. This is scarin' me, but the doctors are saying he's gonna be fine. Who do I listen to around here? Paul Stanley [KISS] just had a hip replacement [at the same time as Mick], and he's still walking with a fucking cane, and that dude goes to the gym every day, he's in shape! That was only two months ago, and we're already talking about doing shows here!"

Metal Edge: The tour's set to start in February. Do you know how long it's supposed to last?

Tommy Lee: "From what I know, it's something like 35 shows in America, then Europe, Japan, Australia… But this shit could only last a week, we don't know…"
---
The four members of MÖTLEY CRÜE were recently interviewed by Metal Edge magazine for a cover story about their upcoming reunion tour. Several excerpts from guitarist Mick Mars's portion of the interview follow:

Metal Edge: Other members of the band have said that they view the reunion as something vital in your recovery process. Do you view it that way?

Mick Mars: "No, because I refuse to be exploited. We all have reasons to come back. They have their side projects, but I don't think those are anything to oserious. It's really rough for me being out on the road, it's rough keeping up with the schedule. It's rough enough for a healthy guy, but I weigh 112 pounds and I'm not fully recovered yet, and I've done all this stuff already that 's really wearing me down faster than I can heal."

Metal Edge: Was it rough for you on the road the last time MÖTLEY toured?

Mick Mars: "Pretty much. There's a lot of flying around, playing live at radio stations, then playing live at night, doing promotions like Macintosh — two, three, four places in a day. Even on a Lear jet, I still couldn't get healthy."

Metal Edge: Do you feel like you're recuperating at a decent pace now? Are you optimistic about being healthy enough to head out on tour in February?

Mick Mars: "Probably by then. It all depends how much they're going to schedule in between. It's kind of like if you wake up from a deep sleep, and have to go straight to work and can't go back to sleep — you're going to be tired. You need to catch up on sleep before you can really be awake. I have to be healthy before I really start working again."

Metal Edge: It seems like everyone's got their different reasons for going back to the band. Why do you think MÖTLEY is getting back together right now?

Mick Mars: "Greed. No on my part. And I won't say on everyone else's part, but there is greed around me. There's greed in everything, though, not just this. It's everywhere."

Metal Edge: For those that aren't familiar with the disease, what exactly does it do to you?

Mick Mars: "It changes up your spine, it affects your eyes, you can't see as clear with them. Right now, my disease has gone up to my brain stem and into my throat and stuff — I have one vocal cord working and the other is dead. I have a team of doctors trying to figure out how to get it back so that I can have a full voice again. It's like there are bones growing over your bones and shifting it up — like if you were to put a brace on your back, then try and stand up, you can’t do it. It gets to your hands, it gets in your elbows, it gets in your knees, any place there are joints. It starts in the hips, and that's why I had the one replaced and need to do another one. It has nothing to do with age — you could be 17 or 18 years old and have it, and what happens is, they need to cut it out, or it goes through your whole body."

Metal Edge: It sounds excruciatingly painful.

Mick Mars: "It is, it is… And you go to the doctor, and they give you the quick fix, so I had to get myself off that whole thing, too. They don’t try to treat it, they just give you pain pills. Well, why don't you do anything about it? Overseas they do things, they have remedies, and they work like eighty percent of the time, but over here, the doctors really don't seem to know a lot about it, and it's really upsetting."
---
During their live performance on "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" on New Year's Eve, MÖTLEY CRÜE announced that, per intense fan demand, they are adding 25 new dates to their "Red, White & Crüe Tour 2005 ... Better Live Than Dead", presented by VH1 and VH1 Classic. Reuniting for a major tour for the first time in six years, MÖTLEY CRÜE has been the hottest ticket around. Since initially going on sale December 11 with the first 25 dates, the tour is now #1 on Pollstar's "Top 50 Tours."

After the initial 25 dates were announced at a Los Angeles press conference on December 6, fans in markets where dates had yet to be announced took to the Internet with "Bring The Crüe" campaigns, with thousands of fans using online petitions and the support of local radio stations to plead with MÖTLEY CRÜE to bring their show to them. At last count, campaigns had been launched in over 30 cities in North America.

According to Billboard magazine, this is the touring industry's worst year in history. Despite that, MÖTLEY is seeing great success. Allen Kovac, CEO of 10th Street Entertainment, MÖTLEY CRÜE's management company, said, "As soon as the initial tickets went on sale for the tour, we got offers for 70 more cities ... but we can only schedule 25 shows because of our European schedule so MÖTLEY CRÜE have let the fans decide where they are going."

Following is a complete list of MÖTLEY CRÜE's initial North American arena dates. The new dates will go on sale to the general public on Saturday, January 8 but fans wishing to get a jump on box office demand can get tickets early by going to www.vh1.com beginning January 3. Canadian fans can also get tickets early by going to www.hob.ca beginning January 3.

Feb. 14 - San Juan, PR @ Coliseo De Puerto Rico
Feb. 17 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ Office Depot Center
Feb. 18 - Tampa, FL @ St. Pete Times Forum
Feb. 20 - Greenville, SC @ Bi-Lo Center
Feb. 22 - Cleveland, OH @ Gund Arena
Feb. 23 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Center
Feb. 25 - Detroit, MI @ The Palace
Feb. 27 - Ottawa, ON @ Corel Centre
Feb. 28 - Hartford, CT @ Hartford Civic Center
Mar. 03 - New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
Mar. 04 - Philadelphia, PA @ Wachovia Spectrum
Mar. 05 - Boston, MA @ Fleet Center
Mar. 06 - Washington D.C. @ MCI Center
Mar. 08 - Columbus, OH @ Schottenstein Center
Mar. 10 - Chicago, IL @ Allstate Arena
Mar. 11 - Moline, IL @ The Mark
Mar. 12 - Milwaukee, WI @ US Cellular Arena
Mar. 14 - Minneapolis, MN @ Target Center
Mar. 15 - Kansas City, MO @ Kemper Arena
Mar. 17 - Dallas, TX @ Nokia Live
Mar. 19 - Phoenix, AZ @ Cricket Pavilion
Mar. 22 - San Diego, CA @ Coors Amphitheatre
Mar. 23 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum
Mar. 25 - Reno, NV @ Reno Events Center
Mar. 26 - Oakland, CA @ Oakland Arena
Mar. 27 - Las Vegas, NV @ The Joint
Mar. 29 - Boise, ID @ Idaho Center
Mar. 30 - Spokane, WA @ Spokane Arena
Apr. 01 - Calgary, AB @ Pengrowth Saddledome
Apr. 02 - Edmonton, AB @ Rexall Place
Apr. 05 - Green Bay, WI @ Resch Center
Apr. 07 - Winnipeg, MB @ MTS Center
Apr. 08 - Grand Forks, ND @ Alerus Center
Apr. 09 - Madison, WI @ Alliant Energy Center
Apr. 11 - Des Moines, IA @ Civic Center
Apr. 12 - Omaha, NE @ Qwest Center
Apr. 14 - Oklahoma City, OK @ Ford Center
Apr. 15 - San Antonio, TX @ SBC Center
Apr. 16 - Bossier City, LA @ CenturyTel Center
Apr. 18 - New Orleans, LA @ UNO Lakefront Arena
Apr. 20 - Jacksonville, FL @ Veterans Memorial Arena
Apr. 21 - Greensboro, NC @ Greensboro Coliseum
Apr. 23 - Portland, ME @ CC Civic Center
Apr. 24 - Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
Apr. 26 - London, ONT @ John Labatt Centre
Apr. 27 - Grand Rapids, MI @ Van Andel Arena
Apr. 28 - Peoria, IL @ Civic Center
Apr. 30 - Wichita, KS @ Kansas Coliseum
May 01 - Ft. Collins, CO @ Budweiser Events Center

MÖTLEY CRÜE will also be the featured artist on Sessions@AOL on January 7.
---
Video footage of MÖTLEY CRÜE performing the songs "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Dr. Feelgood" live on NBC's "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" Friday night (Dec. 31) has been made available for download at this location.

Note: Listen to singer Vince Neil wishing drummer Tommy Lee a "Happy fucking New Year" live on national television around the 3:26 mark of the "Girls, Girls, Girls" clip.
---
BRIDES OF DESTRUCTION have acquired a new bassist as a replacement for departed MÖTLEY CRÜE four-stringer Nikki Sixx. "He has black hair and tattoos (DUH!!) and is 100 percent BRIDES-approved including [by] Nikki," guitarist Tracii Guns writes in an online posting.

"This year we are starting rehearsal January 3 and recording starts February 1," Tracii adds.

"There are two shows booked as we speak, for March 2 and 3, one in L.A. the other in [Orange County, California].

"We will hit the road as soon as the record is released or shortly before. Looking at a June release for the new record."
---

It was interesting to hear what Tommy and Mick had to say. I feel bad for Mick. This tour is a little rushed and the state he is in right now he should not be out there. I watched the Leno videos and he seems like he is suffering a bit though he tried to move around. He did fucking shred on "Dr Feelgood" and "Girls Girls Girls". The band sounded awesome in general. I am thinking twice now and I may still go see the Crue at Madison Square Garden. Like Tommy said who knows how long this may last, so it may not be wise to wait until Summer to see them. As far as the Brides go who cares if the bassist has black hair and tattooes, who the fuck is he?

Eh, the new song sucks, they're gonna suck, EVERYTHING SUCKS. :D

But seriously, I feel bad for Mick who is more decrepit than any rockstar still playing today. I see no good coming from this tour anyway, unlike another recently reunited band who just released a song that sounds like what they'd make, not 3 doors down. Judas Priest fucking rules.