Motorhead's Iron Fist & AC/DC's Stiff Upper Lip

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
I love both of these bands but have neither of these records.

The title track to Iron Fist is, of course, classic, but the samples I've heard of the rest of the album appear much, much weaker. And there's this weird echo effect on Lemmy's vocals...they sound 'distant'.
Is this album any good?

Same question applies to "Stiff Upper Lip". I've read where they consider it a return to 70s-era AC/DC. But is that true? Is this better than Ballbreaker, which, to my ears, was marginal at best?

SoundMaster said:
I love both of these bands but have neither of these records.

The title track to Iron Fist is, of course, classic, but the samples I've heard of the rest of the album appear much, much weaker. And there's this weird echo effect on Lemmy's vocals...they sound 'distant'.
Is this album any good?

To me it's a great album maybe not as strong as "Ace of Spades" but clearly heavier and better IMO than the next one, "Bomber" or the debut.

Besides the title track 'Sex And Outrage', '(Don't Need) Religion', 'Speedfreak' and the amazing I'm The Doctor are tracks worth to have the album.

i got that for X-mas when i was in high-school the song i remember the best off Iron Fist was "Love me like a reptile" Stupid me traded it for a hit of acid back then..I don't know about Stiff Upper Lip though after Bon died i lost interest pretty much.

Iron Fist is great. It is really a pretty archetypal Motorhead release. It was the first older one I bought after hearing Orgasmatron, and still stands out as a favorite for its consistency. Lots of good songs.

Stiff Upper Lip is good, but comes with a warning. You gotta be able to put up with Brian's Wheeze, and it's not balls out, so to speak. You might be able to accuse the band of toning down a bit for Brian's sake, but I don't think that's what was going on. The guitars just aren't as loud somehow. I don't mean production wise either, I mean the amps are toned down a little.
Thing is though, AC/DC is a good band, so this works for them. It may not please the faithful, but I find it a damn fine record. It's kind of like Powerage in that it stands out from all the later work as something a little different (but shares no other quality with Powerage soundwise). I think the songs are great, and the sound of the band works perfect with Brian's, um, aged and cured voice (cured in the smoked meat sense). It's worth having. It ain't Back In Black, but if you are willing to let them be a little different you may find you love it! I think it is a damn fine effort.

evil miscreant said:
i got that for X-mas when i was in high-school the song i remember the best off Iron Fist was "Love me like a reptile"

Oops, sorry but that song comes in "Ace of Spades" ;)

perhaps it was in Ace of Spades.my memory isn't the greatest.Ace of Spades was an even better album than Iron Fist.Alright kiddies...see what drugs do to you???lol

ElectricWiz said:
Stiff Upper Lip is good, but comes with a warning. You gotta be able to put up with Brian's Wheeze, and it's not balls out, so to speak. You might be able to accuse the band of toning down a bit for Brian's sake, but I don't think that's what was going on. The guitars just aren't as loud somehow. I don't mean production wise either, I mean the amps are toned down a little.
Thing is though, AC/DC is a good band, so this works for them. It may not please the faithful, but I find it a damn fine record. It's kind of like Powerage in that it stands out from all the later work as something a little different (but shares no other quality with Powerage soundwise). I think the songs are great, and the sound of the band works perfect with Brian's, um, aged and cured voice (cured in the smoked meat sense). It's worth having. It ain't Back In Black, but if you are willing to let them be a little different you may find you love it! I think it is a damn fine effort.

A fair assessment.

Poor Brian has been overworked, like a pitcher in a World Series game and it's really showing. But he pulls it out, although you can hear the strain plainly.

I think it's a good release. But if you own fewer than five AC/DC albums, this shouldn't be on your immediate wish list.

evil miscreant said:
perhaps it was in Ace of Spades.my memory isn't the greatest.Ace of Spades was an even better album than Iron Fist.

Most definitively. Perhaps the best album of the classic line-up IMO, although my favorite all time song is "Overkill" from the homonymous album.