Mp3 at 48k?

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
Does anyone who tracks at 48k bounce their mp3's at this sample rate or do you always convert back to 44.1? I just got a mp3 and it was 48k and it raised a lot of questions in my head, the main one being..... WHY?

I've always done it at 44.1. For some reason I have it in my head that many players have issues with other sample rates, but now that you mention it, I have no idea if that's actually true. I'm guessing it trims file size as well, which is really the only reason I ever bounce mp3's - to save mb while emailing/ uploading...

Pretty much every onboard/external soundcard, mp3 player, etc can do 48khz. I never bother downsampling before exporting an mp3. A lot of DVD's and video files are encoded at 48khz as well. In regards to nyquist frequencies, it doesnt really make a difference, as far as I know all mp3 encoders drop mostly everything above about 16 khz anyway. It would be interesting to see someone do a spectrograph comparison of various mp3s at different samplerates to see if it effects the upper frequency of the mp3.