Mr V, en fråga om texten på Hedniskhjärtad

your teacher, being from norrland, probably doesn't know the meaning of words that come from other parts of sweden.
some words are also very old and obsolete. i wonder how many words have been lost in modern swedish. this happens in every toungue i suppose. also in italy a lot of words are not used anymore (or used only in poetry) but the different thing is that people with a certain culture-level still know about their existence and meaning, that's why i find it strange that a professor doesn't know those words.

Yeah, of course. In her defense, she's a pretty damn smart lady and has studied old Norse and shit. I think just that he uses some darn obscure stuff. :p Makes it more fun, but a confusing place to start with the Swedish language as a foreigner.

Yeah, of course. In her defense, she's a pretty damn smart lady and has studied old Norse and shit. I think just that he uses some darn obscure stuff. :p Makes it more fun, but a confusing place to start with the Swedish language as a foreigner.

Well..trying to learn swedish that are used by the most of the citizens, you shouldn't start with the OTYG/Vintersorg sphere of the language...it's a mixture of old and new and also digs very deep into the many aspect of same words etc.

mrV

so the question which is just born in my mind is: where did andreas found those not-common terms? through his reading? did he make some reseaches before writing the texts or what?

i'm reading the poetic edda in swedish (well for now i've read only valans spådom, not so hard as i immagined, maybe because i already know the mythological argument and i've read it in italian time ago) and yesterday, searching for some words of vintersorg texts on project runenberg, i've been sent to the edda (i don't remember exactly which word i was searching for) so it was quite funny cause i'm reading it now and makes me wonder if andreas have read it too, if he was into northern mithology in the past, besides nordic folklore

Well..trying to learn swedish that are used by the most of the citizens, you shouldn't start with the OTYG/Vintersorg sphere of the language...it's a mixture of old and new and also digs very deep into the many aspect of same words etc.

mrV

i didn't see your message 'cause i was writing in the meanwhile.
what can i say is that it's very hard to start from your texts for a beginner, not only for uncommon words but also for phrase constructions, the high number of multi-compound words and stuff, but if your aim is not to talk swedish (i mean i don't need to go buy some bread :lol:) but instead to understand the things you like, in this case you don't mind of this.
i think i know tons of useless words right now (and nothing really useful for survival like food's names or stuff like that, but in return i know at least five different ways to say mist/fog in swedish :lol: ) words that will not help me in normal life but since i'm not planning to go to sweden in the near future this is enough for me now :p

I remember, but this can be a coincidence, that I found a Vintersorg's lyric whole sentence in a Strindberg poem, but, as I said, the sentence is not made-up of rare or uncommon words :popcorn:

I remember, but this can be a coincidence, that I found a Vintersorg's lyric whole sentence in a Strindberg poem, but, as I said, the sentence is not made-up of rare or uncommon words :popcorn:

do you remember which sentence was?

mrV

This is totally true. You want to learn to discuss with everyday language. That's why I read DN and Aftonbladet and books in Swedish and talk as much as possible. The expanded vocabulary and artistic language and expression in Swedish, that's what Otyg/Vintersorg lyrics are good for, IMO. And I think that Swedish is a strong and beautiful artistic language, another reason for why I think it's a shame that so many Swedish bands insist on using English. There is some very good poetry in Swedish that can express things that are harder to express in English, IMO.

do you remember which sentence was?

Sì, the sentence is in Vildmarkens Förtrollande Stämmor and is "I naturens alla riken, svävar.....", in Strindberg in the poem entitled Hollämdarn the phrase is "Ifraa naturens alla riken danades".
As you can see is a mere coincidence :dopey:

Sì, the sentence is in Vildmarkens Förtrollande Stämmor and is "I naturens alla riken, svävar.....", in Strindberg in the poem entitled Hollämdarn the phrase is "Ifraa naturens alla riken danades".
As you can see is a mere coincidence :dopey:

i thought it was longer phrase, so this is surely a coincidence ;)