Mr. Walker - A day in a storm

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Hey guys!

It's been ages since I wrote here, and I used to read and write with the curiosity of a fox (I hope foxes are curious, otherwise I just dissed myself), but then came a time where I stopped hanging around here almost completely and focused purely on other things, such as creating this work which now is done.

I'm making this thread for two reasons. First reason being the promotion of this album, obviously, and the second being the part that may be interesting to people here: most of the album has been made with freeware stuff! How cool is that?!

It's all written, played on all instruments (including real drums), mixed and mastered by me. I also scream on a few choruses but the actual singer/screamer is Gustaf Modin, who recently kicked some major ass in Imagine Festival Romania and won the whole thing (including a european tour and a record budget of 10000€). He's brilliant at what he does and I'm lucky to know him and to have him on this project.

So here it is, and all I want you to do is to have a listen, and share the link to my bandcamp page with others, via your facebook or whatever. Just so that people get a chance to discover it. Why? Because I also gave labels the middle finger and went all out as an independent artist. This project gives me the chance to just do things my way, and my way only. Therefore I have to get it out there myself as well, but it's ok - I'm in no rush, but you guys are crucial. But I know I can't count on people sharing it - but what I'm hoping for is that the album is at least good enough to be spent a few seconds on to share it on Facebook. And if you really like it - buy it for the measly 7$ it costs (a work that took me 3,5 years from start to finish!).

It will also be on Spotify and iTunes in 4 weeks or so.

http://mr-walker.bandcamp.com/

Enjoy!!

Oops I now see it costs something like 8.5$, since the price is derived from the swedish crowns (SEK).

Anyway, what do you guys feel about the price? My goal was to set it cheap enough so that it's not worth it to pirate it somehow, and cheap enough to "not matter" in one's economy. How do you feel about the pricing? Plus, you get to listen to the whole album in decent quality before buying it in higher quality for your mp3 player, or phone, and to support a fellow hard working musician!

The name of the band has nothing of metal!lol By the cover I would thought that the band was some kind of chill out/Trip hop music. Congrats by the album done, there are some great songs.

As I said on Facebook, good stuff man - I'm a few songs in, and the music and mix are absolutely awesome; vocals are cool too, but some of the lyrics aren't really my thing, although it only really bugs me because the music under them is so incredible. Great job dude \m/

A couple of songs in and I'm very happy I clicked on your thread. Music is fantastic, lyrics are quite clever, and I dig the band name! Just shared your bandcamp link on my facebook, and I definitely intend on buying this album. Well done!

Cool reply Marcus, thanks! What is it about the lyrics, are they too personal, too dark?

Well, I guess that's one way to put it :lol: ) I was more thinking too emo honestly, with this kinda music I prefer lyrics that can really transport me and match the awe and power of the music (you know, space and cosmic intertwining and fractals and such) - however, I do really like him as a vocalist, tons of energy and variety

I prefer lyrics that can really transport me and match the awe and power of the music (you know, space and cosmic intertwining and fractals and such)

NERDSSSSSSSSSS.

Cool music man! My only complaint: The artwork is way amateur. Looks like a middle school photoshop project, lol.

i've got some thoughts to share.

first of all, i think it sounds good. i might have raised the bass a little but that's me. REALLY awesome use of synths man. everything works pretty well mix-wise.

as for the music, let me just say that i pretty much listened to "behind every smile" for like 20 times on repeat today. i've also subliminally stolen the chorus melody from "it's better to have loved and lost" to a song ages ago back when you posted some clips. don't worry, i never actually used the song or anything, but i guess that's a way of saying it's a great chorus :lol:

i really dig how there's a lot of different kinds of moods on the album, and even though the vocalist has the most fucking pissed off and psychotic voice i've heard for a long time (and i love it), it's not just that throughout the album but there's also cleaner parts. i've always thought of you as a drummer so i was surprised how well you handle the guitar, most riffs are also pretty bangin'

there's some cheesyness to the themes and lyrics, but i don't mind having some in music. actually if the vocalist wasn't so good they might even get a bit too much that at times, but he really conveys the message well and it doesn't get annoying unlike some bands might. i think the cover is honestly a little bit too bland - it gets lost in between other covers.

fucking awesome job man, i'm glad i was able to finally hear the whole thing. i paid too little for it though :(

and why the fuck isn't there like 10 pages in this thread? come on you fucks take a listen to this :D

What the hell, seems the notifications stopped for this thread. There have been many replies I was not aware of. Thank you all for replying and listening, and it is really fun and exciting to read your opinions about the album. The album art is done by a friend of mine and it does not look like "everything else", which may be partly the reason you perceive it as schoolish. I will make a video walkthrough, through the mix, so stay tuned. I just have to figure out a way to record my sound through a mic at the same time as I am running Reaper and going through the mix. I have trouble getting the sound in on any of those desktop view screen capturers.

I found you on YouTube by mistake. I was searching drum recording in the studio and landed on you. I spent an entire afternoon watching every single one of your videos. In one single word... AWESOME! Sure, I have a few critiques in mind, but they're only preferences. I am so blown away by the quality of this recording. And yes, I did purchase the CD on Bandcamp. I am just a small-time engineer with a basement-studio in a small town recording demos and EP's for small-time bands in my area. Because of you I have hope that I can achieve a similar quality in my own recordings. I may be just a drummer in my own band, but you have inspired me to pick up a guitar and learn another part of metal music that I have never known. I could go on and on forever, but I'll just say... THANK YOU!

I just have to figure out a way to record my sound through a mic at the same time as I am running Reaper and going through the mix.

You could probably just leave Audacity or something on record while you do your walkthrough. I don't see why it would interfere with Reaper or anything like that.