Multicore cables

digitaldeath

Dec 7, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
Hey guys, I'm looking for a multicore cable with 16 inputs (preferably in a stage-box). Now it's not hard to find these, but then I'm wondering if I can find any with a standard headphone output jack in it (eg. 16ins/4outs)? I'm currently looking at this multicore which has got 16 XLR ins and 4 male XLR outs. Is there something I can connect to one of these XLR outs so I can get a standard headphone connection for the the drummer?
I'm also concerned if the headphone send needs to be shielded from the mic inputs and how exactly this will affect the quality of the signal passing through the multicore.
I'll be using a headphone amp (Presonus Monitor Station) in the control room, so I suppose I'd also need some kind of connection on that end to send it down the multicore to the drum room?
If anyone has got any advice, I'd really appreciate it!

This one bugged me for a while, but I managed to come up with a fucking sweet solution.
First - put your headphone amp in the drum room. Go buy another one if you have to.
Second, run your two main outs from your mixer into the multicore's send. This eliminates the need for shielding as the signal isn't amplified.
Third, you grab two XLR - TS (Not TRS) Adapters and plug them into the L R inputs on the headphone amp. Voila!

You could get a stagebox with jack returns and just plug the headphones into that.

Other option is to get the one with XLR returns and get a TRS (Male)-XLR cable to go from the headphone amp to the stagebox, and get a XLR (Female)-TRS (female) cable to come out from the stagebox. Or if you can't get one with a female TRS then get one with a male and throw a barrel connector in between the headphones and the TRS coming out of the stagebox. The cool thing about this setup is that you can throw any length xlr between these two cables and have a headphone cable as long or as short as you need.

You could get a stagebox with jack returns and just plug the headphones into that.

Other option is to get the one with XLR returns and get a TRS (Male)-XLR cable to go from the headphone amp to the stagebox, and get a XLR (Female)-TRS (female) cable to come out from the stagebox. Or if you can't get one with a female TRS then get one with a male and throw a barrel connector in between the headphones and the TRS coming out of the stagebox. The cool thing about this setup is that you can throw any length xlr between these two cables and have a headphone cable as long or as short as you need.

Holy shit guys, I cannot for the fucking life of me understand why you would even bother using a TRS jack > XLR connection.
TRS = Tip Ring Sleeve = Tip(leftChannel) Ring(rightChannel)
XLR = MONO
You connect a TS jack to an XLR. Because TS is mono. TRS = waste of money.

Actually, TRS and XLR are identical except for the connectors, so either one can be either unbalanced stereo or balanced mono ;)

Is there something I can connect to one of these XLR outs so I can get a standard headphone connection for the the drummer?

That's the only part of your question that box was supposed to answer. I would just make the right cables on the other end to fix your delema with the headphone amp.

The furman takes an XLR cable input and you get 2 headphone outs with a volume knob for each. Seems exactly what you want for this situation. :)

From the headphone amp:

from headphone amp > NEUTRIK NP 3 C > NEUTRIK NC 3MX > to multicore

For the drummers end:

from multicore > NEUTRIK NJ 3FC6 > NEUTRIK NC 3FX > to headphones

But if you ask me, I would rather send the unamplified signal via the cable and then amplify it with a separate headphone amp next to the drummer

That's the only part of your question that box was supposed to answer. I would just make the right cables on the other end to fix your delema with the headphone amp.

The furman takes an XLR cable input and you get 2 headphone outs with a volume knob for each. Seems exactly what you want for this situation. :)

Hi Loren! Thanks for the link. That Furman box does look great, but if I send an unamplified signal through the multicore, I'll still need an amp on the drummer's end!

From the headphone amp:

from headphone amp > NEUTRIK NP 3 C > NEUTRIK NC 3MX > to multicore

For the drummers end:

from multicore > NEUTRIK NJ 3FC6 > NEUTRIK NC 3FX > to headphones

But if you ask me, I would rather send the unamplified signal via the cable and then amplify it with a separate headphone amp next to the drummer

Yeah, looks like I'm going to have to go with that option. Thanks for the advice guys!

Oh I thought you were sending it amplified. Why not just put the HA next to the drummer then (I'm sure others have already suggested this).

Like maybe a little HP4 or something?

Yeah, I'd like to send it down the multicore amplified but as I mentioned above, I'm concerned with shielding issues etc.
I'm just surprised that there's not such an easy solution out there and I'm hopeless when it comes to TRS, TS & XLR connections etc. so a lot of what you guys mentioned above means nothing to me! :lol:

I'm hopeless when it comes to TRS, TS & XLR connections etc. so a lot of what you guys mentioned above means nothing to me! :lol:

That is why I included the neutrik connectornames.

NEUTRIK NP 3 C:
105179.jpg

NEUTRIK NC 3MX:
105168.jpg

NEUTRIK NJ 3FC6:
105171.jpg

NEUTRIK NC 3FX:
105166.jpg

i got this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=360157620198&view=all&tid=145740526023

awesome deal, the dudes were super helpful, they called me to tell me they were out of stock with that one so they upgraded me for free to a bigger better one. and it works great, i'm going through the floor of my bedroom into the basement with it. beautiful. the only negative thing about this box, is the multi-core cable doesn't have one huge multi-pin connection at the end going to the box, it just...runs straight into it, meaning you CAN'T remove the multicore cable from the box, MEANING you need to individualy shove the 12 cables/XLR connectors through whatever hole it is that you're running through. clunky, and can give the cables a helluva beating if you're not being suave about it.

but anywho

to OP, i had the exact same issue, wondering how the heck to manage getting a headphone send down there through this thing. so i just took a separate stereo cable (not a TRS cable, two 1/4" mono cables fused together, one red and one white) and ran it from the L/R cuemix outs on the digi002, through the hole in the floor ALONGSIDE the multicore cable, and then just down into a cheap behringer 4 channel headphone amp in the basement. then i filled the holes in the floor/ceiling with that gnarly foam spray shit so mice can't get in. there ya go. works beautifully for me, and hte drummer / whoever else is down there / up to four people each have their own volume knobs.

it's crude, and may feel like cheating since you're not even using the sends on the cable snake, but...who cares.