My monitors arrived..

Nostalgiaplatz

So why not moving?
Dec 20, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My pair of m-audio bx5a's arrived today from musicstore and I didn't foresee the missing cables, being my first set of monitors ever. It has outs as XLR and TRS. I think these TRS ones are standard guitar cables, could someone confirm me and let me know if I can plug 2 guitar cables from the monitors straight into the left/right inputs on the soundcard?

Thanks

Guitar cables are TS (Tip-Sleeve), TRS cables are balanced - you can use guitar cables, but the potential for noise will be higher

buy some cable and neutrik conectors...make your own cables ....google how to do it....save money

Look the saving isn't that great in the grand scheme of things and to be honest I've had some 'custom soldered' cable jobs come back much noisier than equivalent retail products, so...

Just get some nice, high quality, high capacitance TRS cables that won't roll off your high end and keep your signal integrity intact. Make sure to have the cable run as short as you can possibly get away with.

Buy or make a cable with neutrik or switchcraft connectors. Don't get those crappy proel connectors as they fall apart by themselves.

Thank you very much for ALL the suggestions, but, depending on prices, I'm likely going to buy them off the store, since I'm not very agile when it comes to hand works, not to mention electronics.

I'm not yet sure which cables length as I am still waiting for the delivery of the Desk and as such, I don't know yet how distant apart will the soundcard be from the monitors, but, what is a reasonable short cable length? 1metre? (which is about 3ft more or less, I believe)

As short as possible is the only "rule" there. So the distance between your monitor source and your monitors...whatever you can find that fits that distance. There's nothing wrong with just buying cables at the store instead of making your own.

~006

Nah, you can go WAY longer than 1 meter, cuz they're balanced + low impedance cables - as long as you're under like 10 feet (2.5 meters or so), you'll be fine :)