High pitched noise from my monitors driving me insane

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
I got a new computer a few days ago, and installed everything on it (Cubase LE, plug-ins, W7 drivers for my soundcard etc) and all seemed well. Then the next day I hear a high pitched tinnitus like squeeling coming from my monitors. After literally just fidling with the cables for a minute it went away, at least for the rest of the day. The next day same thing, except this time it won't go away no matter what I do. I've tried changing the FW cable, re-installing all of the drivers about 70 times, and unplugging/re-plugging etc.

Gear is:
PC Dual Core 2,5ghz
5gb RAM
Windows 7 64 bit

Sound:
PreSonus Inspire
Yamaha HS80 monitors

Pretty much the only thing I haven't been able to check is the cables from the interface to the monitors, cause all of the stores have been closed. I don't think it's that though, cause my cables are all pretty new and in great shape otherwise.

The squeeling doesn't increase in volume when I turn up the sound on the Inspire, but it does increase when I turn up the volume on the back of the monitors.

Other than the monitor cables and I guess switching power outlets I've tried pretty much anything I can think of. Halp?

Just some random ideas here- 1- Space the mons a little bit farther apart and see if it helps, 2- see if the audio cables are entangled with any of your power cables. 3- check the actual inputs and outputs on the interface and the mons and make sure they still have the connections and they arent falling apart.

The only thing I'd add is maybe try moving the computer chassis further away from the rest of the kit?

Also, I had a hum problem a while back, and plugging all the power cords into the same outlet (use a power strip if needed) eliminated the problem.

Just a couple things to try...

I notice the Yammy's have a pretty audible noise floor. Have you considered that there may be something wrong with them, maybe a tweeter or the internal amp?
I only say that due to your comment about the noise increasing when you turn the volume up on the monitors.

Hey, it's more of a contribution than I could make, I honestly have no idea what could be causing this! :( However, one thing you could do, Chris (Cris?), is leave the monitors on but disconnect the audio cables going to them, to see if the problem is with the monitors themselves (if so, presumably the noise would happen regardless of whether they were connected or not)

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it!

I've tried messing around with the cables, moving them all around so they aren't touching anything else etc and also switching powerstrips and moving the monitors further apart/all around and unfortunantly nothing seems to be working. I'm gonna try connecting the powerstrip to another outlet outside the room to see if there is anything wrong with the wiring in the room itself and move some more stuff all around.

Metaltastic: That's a good idea, I'm gonna try that next. And call me Chris, even though I don't spell it with an H, Cris sounds(looks?) fucking retarded. :lol:

Groud loop probably.
I use a macbook pro and an external lcd monitor...and I have an horrible noise comes out from the monitors.
After many tests, I found that the monitor create a loop, that enter into the mac with the cable, and go out in the interface.
If I disconnect the dvi-cable and also if I connect the monitor in another socket, the noise disappers.

Seeing as it's so high pitched and something close to a pure tone i doubt it's interference. Ground loops tend to cause all sorts of nasties, not just a high pitched whine. If this is any help, i've had this problem before and it's been down to sync sources/word clocks. Try messing with those settings, it might help

First off I'm a computer noob but I did just buy a new one so I'm learning a lot and going through the same things as you. i7-950 here with 6gb ram. I'm wondering how you have 5 gb of ram? Check you mobo manual about that. The Asus I have has very specific instructions regarding ram. Amounts, types and placement in the board. has to be an even number for mine. Maybe that's an intel socket 1366 thing? I dunno. just seemed odd to see an uneven number of ram.

Also, I have HS50M Yamaha monitors (added a much needed sub to them) and I had serious ground issues. You might try a ground lift adapter and some ferrite chokes. That solved my EM interference problems. Good luck!

If you take out the cables and it's still there, it's the monitors. Make sure you turn your computer monitor off when you remove the cables to make sure it's not some sort of interference coming from that. Could be the main outs on your interface going haywire too.

Also if any of your cables don't have ferrite beads on them, I'd either swap them for cables that do or buy some to throw on. I find they work great at removing a lot of EMI/RFI.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=110-452

110-452_s.jpg

I have Yamaha HS50m and I have the same problem.The sound that is coming is like they need to be grounded and when I plug my headphones instead of monitors in headphones that noise is not present.So its something with monitors.I bought mine new.Sorry for my bad English I hope you understand what I mean!