Just got my New montiors...

KeithRT99

BOOSH.
Nov 8, 2005
Vallejo,CA
www.soundclick.com
I just picked up a pair of Event TR-8's off of craigslist(satan) and i'm pretty happy with them, i have a few questions though:

i get hum from my monitor(flat LCD 17in.) in my speakers, it's not alot but i would like to remove the hum altogether if possible. The speakers are in pretty close proximity to the monitor (about 8 inches on both sides.) so that would likely be a cause of the hum. Also i'm running the Unbalanced RCAs>stereo into my sound card. I've noticed that the location of that cable in proximity to the power cables has alot to do with the hum as well. I've also noticed that when i turn the monitor off, the hum goes away.

Would going balanced reduce the hum? What distance should i have my monitors apart...etc.

thanks.

I'm no expert but am pretty confident using balanced cables will fix the problem..not to mention the quality of the sound seems to be better as well. I had some interference before i bought my E-MU 1212m but no problems afterwards. Don't know what's your interface but as long as it has balanced outs it should work just fine.

Also, it could be your soundcard? Unless you have a really nice soundcard, it's gonna hum and buzz like crazy.

yea i had a hum problem with my monitors and it would hum with my monitor or pc. Mine was not fixed by balanced cables but by actually breaking the ground pins off the power cables!

It might be a ground loop hum your dealing with, It's caused when to many things try and pull 1 ground. If there those common power cables that are interchangeable between PC's and just about everything break those ground pins off and see what you got!!

Hope that helps......

I am using some high quality balanced cables with my TR8's (which you should be using also ), and I get know hum at all from my moniters which are about 5 inches away from my speakers.