di guitar tracking work flow

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
when tracking a direct input and amp sound of a guitar, for possible reamp later, what is your work flow during the session?

i find my self losing my mind editing two of the same damn thing...

i dont run protools so i dont have that nifty option that lets you edit one track and have those edits carry over to another track, like linked editing...

but yeah, im also curious, when cutting, do you cut the di tracks before sending them out to reamp?, it sounds clean... or do you just run the whole mess and edit after recording the reamped signal

on a side note, i've been di'ing with a great river pre, which effectively gives me a ground loop into my "amp" (pod xt pro). i have a morley hum eliminator for now, but i'd rather remove the problem altogether rather than a cheap "fix" which results in signal volume loss.

my signal flow...

guitar -> great river
great river unbalanced out -> pod xt pro
pod xt pro spdif out -> rme 800
great river balanced out -> rme 800 front mic pre

that causes a hum so i do this...

guitar -> great river
great river unbalanced out -> morley hum eliminator -> pod xt pro
pod xt pro spdif out -> rme 800
great river balanced out -> rme 800 front mic pre

I have my guitars arranged as:

L1
L1 DI
L2
L2 DI
R2
R2 DI
R1
R1 DI

This lets me just highlight two tracks and edit them while they're right next to eachother, as well as arm tracks right next to eachother, etc.

I clean everything up before reamping it, listen to the DI's to make sure theres no popping or clicking during edits, etc.

I have my guitars arranged as:

L1
L1 DI
L2
L2 DI
R2
R2 DI
R1
R1 DI

....I do it the same way but also stick each pair into a folder track in Nuendo and where I need to make splices I just click on the image in the folder track. Same again when tracking. I just use the record and monitor buttons for the folder track.

For some functions where the above doesn't apply (like fades)I just select both tracks and go from there. But having them setup in folder helps avoid getting lost amongst 20+ guitar tracks.