reamp problems...

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
hey everyone

i always record di, i hardly ever reamp. the other day i needed to reamp something for once, and first i decided to see if my signal was goin to be the same (because i trust nothing)... so i had my di track, and my already recorded distortion track just underneath. the track was recorded with a pod xt pro. so i checked my pan law (just in case) 0db. then i routed the signal to a mono out bus (a trs output on the back of my audio interface). ran that to my red reamp box (v2!) and out of that back into my pod.

i left the tone the same and hit record... hmm weird it was weaker, not quite as gainy as the original (kind of a subtle difference...).

ok for shits and giggles i turned up the di track +6 and the mono out bus +6... this should be really hot! uh nope, it wasnt. the tone was still different...

ok maybe going through the reamp box is unecessary, lets just go right into the pod xt through the input on the back made for reamping all in one...

tried that and NO DICE the tone was still different.

ok so you're goin to ask me how am i recording the di track, well its going through the DI OUT on the back of the pod xt and directly into my audio interface (an input on the back, so that a line level knob isnt in the chain)

i can't figure out why my di tracks wont reamp the same going through the exact same tone, even when i add +12 db. its not incredibly weaker, its just funky weaker... like, missing a little sizzle, or gain.

can anyone explain if this has anything to do with balanced / unbalanced input/output/cable weirdness??

im pretty sure the DI out on the back of the pod xt pro is a BALANCED connection, and the inputs on the back of my RME FIREFACE 800 are also BALANCED connections. im also certain that going RME balanced out to REAMP balanced in, then REAMP unbalanced out to PODXT unbalanced in is the correct way to do this, but it still doesnt sound right.

and yess, i've played with the trim knob on the reampbox.

My guess is that something is lost going out from the Podxt Pro DI output into an input on the Fireface - doesn't the XT Pro have a SPDIF out? Is there a way to route the DI signal through that into the FF800 to see if that helps?

Yeah, I was thinking that too, but since it's the same DI signal that's feeding the Podxt's processor when he's recording the original tracks, my feeling is it's some combination of the Podxt D/A conversion/output buffering and/or the the preamp gain/A/D conversion on the FF800 that's the culprit - you oughta get yourself a good DI Joey!

EDIT: Just read you're going from the line out on the Pod to a line-in on the FF800 - what are your DI tracks peaking at? If they're too low, that could be it...

What does the clean DI track sound like? Does it sound really dull or something?

Id take a DI from a regular old DI box and compare the two.

In this situation, maybe you can doctor the tracks up a little before you send them back to the POD?

Send the dir track output to spdif input on the pod. Then on the input of pod make sure your input is set to spdif. Give it a try reamping that way dude......

fuck man, i tried re-amping some stuff today, and there was a terrible amount of noise from the amp, and i don't know why

i send the DI tracks thru the mono TRS outs on my onyx into a proRMP, and ran that straight into an amp. regardless of how i set the levels of both outputs, the noise was still there. ground lift button helps a little, but not near enough

Ground loop dude, the ground lift only helps a little, trust me, I've been there - got myself Ebtech Hum X, stuck it on the amp's power cord, and have been in blissful silence ever since! (well, except when I want the noise, of course :D) I know it's expensive, but unlike an isolation transformer doesn't require you to put anything else in the signal chain, and is so easy to use, and works perfectly!

thanks for the suggestions guys

i suspect its probably the di out on the pod xt.

honestly im starting to feel the pod xt is kind of terrible. but my tone has been sort of tried and true for a while so i have to stick with it until i can come up with some new tones otherwise.

i'll let yall know what i discover in a few days

Ground loop dude, the ground lift only helps a little, trust me, I've been there - got myself Ebtech Hum X, stuck it on the amp's power cord, and have been in blissful silence ever since! (well, except when I want the noise, of course :D) I know it's expensive, but unlike an isolation transformer doesn't require you to put anything else in the signal chain, and is so easy to use, and works perfectly!

yea, that's what i was probably thinking

my house is pretty old, and the outlets aren't even grounded...i have all my shit plugged into the one outlet with a ground plug in the room, but i doubt there's a ground wire that runs to the outlet itself

*sigh*

and joey, if you wanna fuck around with some new tones, i can drag a rev jr. down to your place sometime...

my house is pretty old, and the outlets aren't even grounded...i have all my shit plugged into the one outlet with a ground plug in the room, but i doubt there's a ground wire that runs to the outlet itself

I think that's really dangerous, because you can become the ground... or something.

:headbang: