Reamping RME Babyface Redeye3D Reaper

Deathell

Mar 27, 2010
I've been trying to figure out how to get this to work for hours.. :zzz:
I want to send a mono guitar track from Reaper out into the Redeye3D reamp box into my ENGL preamp then out from the ENGL preamp out into the RME Babyface's Input 2 (instrument input on the side of the Babyface, aka Analog 2).

The way I have it setup at this moment is this..

In Reaper I have a track with the recorded clean DI signal playing. For this track, the input is turned off (Input: None), Record Monitoring: Off, and Record Disarmed. Basically everything turned off entirely and the track is just playing the recorded DI signal.

I connect the Balanced 'Line Out R' from the RME Babyface's breakout cable into the Redeye3D's 'Line Level In' in the rear, from here out to the front of the box 'reamp out' into the input of my ENGL preamp.

From the ENGL preamp back to my RME Babyface's Input 2 (instrument input on the side of the Babyface, aka Analog 2). And yes I have the AN 2's 'INST' button (instrument input) engaged.

I made another track in Reaper with record: Armed, record monitoring: ON, and input:mono -> Analog 2.

I think I have everything setup correctly in Reaper's Audio Device Settings.
Input = Analog Input 1 first , Analog Input 2 last.
Output = Analog Out 1 first, Analog Output 2 last.

I'm absolutely getting no signal for the other track that have recording armed while playing the other recorded clean DI track. Is there something I missed in Reaper's or RME Totalmix's routing before all of this? I'm totally confused. Please help me out. I tried switching connecting the reamp box to Analog input 1, Line Out L.. to no avail.

I don't use Reaper nor do I have the same setup as you, however I'd start by trying to understand were in the chain the signal is being lost, that is, is your ENGL preamp receiving the guitar DI? Have you tried to connect it to a power amp+cab or alternatively headphones to the preamp out?

If you're getting sound out of the ENGL preamp then it might be something else going on.

As of now I've managed to record the reamped track but I could not monitor the sound of this track at all.. turning on the monitor button in Reaper will produce this sustained ear rape feedback instead of the sound of the recording reamp track. Is anybody here fluent with RME's Totalmix? And Know to solve this problem between Reaper and Totalmix? Here is the screenshot of the current settings in Totalmix

http://postimg.org/image/eoyzen38b/

You should setup babyface so monitored track will not go to output for reaming. So you should route DI track to main outputs and input from mic/line oit (whatever) to headphones only (for monitoring during reamping process).
It`s like in case of stereo card: if you route DI signal to the left output, than you can send your reamped track to right output only, and should no use monitoring during final reamping, because you can get additional noise from ADC. With Babyface you have headphones output with dedicated DAC for monitoring, so it`s easier.

Sorry I'm still not having any luck at this.. it is still feeding back like crazy,
basically what I want to do is to listen (monitor) the reamp track while playing the DI track so that I can have a chance to tweak knobs on the amp while carefully listening in doing so to blend with other recorded guitar tracks. I understand that both tracks has to be sounding at the same time, can't mute the DI track because then there would be nothing output to the reamp and can't mute the reamping track because then I wouldn't hear the reamping sound and then I would also have to hear the other recorded track so I could meticulously blend in with the reamping track. So how can I make this possible? I'm so wickedly confused right now with how to set this up in both Reaper and Totalmix.. :cry:

iPfTokP.jpg

Congrats, you have created an infinite loop of death. This is:

DAW->DI->Amp->REAMPED SIGNAL->DAW->DI->Amp->REAMPED SIGNAL->DAW->DI->Amp->REAMPED SIGNAL->DAW->DI->Amp->REAMPED SIGNAL->DAW->DI->Amp->REAMPED SIGNALDAW->DI->Amp->REAMPED SIGNAL-> DAW->DI->Amp->REAMPED SIGNAL->DAW->DI->Amp->REAMPED SIGNAL->DAW->DI->Amp->REAMPED SIGNAL

This added signals equals to a fucking terrible noise (feedback) because you are reamping the reamped signal ad infinitum.

So, how do we end this loop of pain? You have to stop it somewhere.

De Luther answered it correctly. If you didn't underestand it, here it goes again.

Configure BABYFACE so that your REAMPED signal (INPUT) goes EXCLUSIVELY to your headphones and not to the main output. This will end the loop of death since the reamped signal won't feed the main output anymore.

Good luck.

Guys I sincerely thank you for clarifying, now I totally understood the concept but please walk me thru with Totalmix??? I have been trying this for days, Ok.. so I tried muting going back and forth between Phones 3 and 4 (3/4 are headphone outputs) and it is just muting left or right but not anywhere near stopping the reamped signal from going to the main output? The reamped signal and DI signal are both running to the main outs.. no matter what I try to fuck with ARRRRRGGHHHH!!! I'm going insane..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCH3qVaLL-I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCH3qVaLL-I[/ame]

I don't even use Totalmix with my FF800. Just use the routing matrix in Reaper. Assign your Gtr/Bass DI track to e.g. output 8 and plug in your re-amp box there.

Simple as fuck really.

edit: Not familiar with how man outs Babyface has :rofl: