Question for James re: JDVmk3

sah5150

Sep 8, 2005
James,

On another thread you wrote:

"yeah, i don't use my pod's "d.i." output... i use my Radial JDVmk3. i just connect the Thru output of the Radial to the input of the pod and the balanced XLR out to the console/pre. i get much better results this way.. of course the JDVmk3 is Class-A Discrete and costs 3 times as much as a POD, so that's not surprising at all."

I plan on doing this as well with my PODXT Pro and I just bought a JDVmk3 on your recommendation... If you were using Pro Tools TDM would you connect the output of the JDVmk3 directly to the Digi converter I/O device or would you go through a pre first? I have a Great River Electronics MP2NV (Neve 1073 clone) I could use. Should I go JDVmk3 balanced out -> MP2NV mic pre -> Digi I/O or skip the pre? I'm just recording a direct guitar for reamping...

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I would run it through the preamp. I've tried it both ways, although it's been a while, and as I recall, there's not enough signal going straight in. One of the techno-heads might be able to give more info... like maybe the signal impedence is wrong, bla bla, etc. and so forth. :D