Multimedia - National Diploma

Dec 13, 2001
Visit site
Hmmm... I've been trying to decid what course to do... for months now! And still can't decide... so I need some help/advise.

Multimedia - what is it? What job can I do after I finish the course? Is it any good? [I have read about this course, but I need some other thoughts]

Graphic Design - ???

Erm... your views on both of these courses... Multimedia and Graphic Design... ???

Thanks.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm actually an out-of-work Multimedia Designer, myself. What attracted me to the field of multimedia design is that you get to be a "jack of all trades" - you have to know some stuff about video and audio editing and production, graphic design, interface design, animation, and programming, plus some sense of project management, media technology, marketing and what makes good content, etc. etc. Unfortunately, no one seems to need what I do, which is primarily build multimedia CD-ROMs using a program called Macromedia Director.

My view is that I love it as a field, but I'm currently serving tables in a restauraunt. I worked as a Multimedia Producer for a small software company for 4 months, until they ceased to have money with which to pay me.

From what I can see, delivering multimedia online (which currently basically means using Macromedia Flash) is the strongest sector of this industry/job description. Also, having a specified field of knowledge in something like digital film or 3D animation seems to be the way people get jobs. The aspet I liked is that "jack of all trades" that multimedia presents, but that's seeming increasingly more impractical for employment. However, the industry (like most) is down right now, but it'll come back - it sort of has to.

I hope all of this rambling means something to you.

Take it easy, dude.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
I'm actually an out-of-work Multimedia Designer, myself. What attracted me to the field of multimedia design is that you get to be a "jack of all trades" - you have to know some stuff about video and audio editing and production, graphic design, interface design, animation, and programming, plus some sense of project management, media technology, marketing and what makes good content, etc. etc. Unfortunately, no one seems to need what I do, which is primarily build multimedia CD-ROMs using a program called Macromedia Director.

My view is that I love it as a field, but I'm currently serving tables in a restauraunt. I worked as a Multimedia Producer for a small software company for 4 months, until they ceased to have money with which to pay me.

From what I can see, delivering multimedia online (which currently basically means using Macromedia Flash) is the strongest sector of this industry/job description. Also, having a specified field of knowledge in something like digital film or 3D animation seems to be the way people get jobs. The aspet I liked is that "jack of all trades" that multimedia presents, but that's seeming increasingly more impractical for employment. However, the industry (like most) is down right now, but it'll come back - it sort of has to.

I hope all of this rambling means something to you.

Take it easy, dude.

Nice one, thanks for all this HoserHellspawn!! I think I'll go for graphic design. ... And also, I'll take Psychology course as well... heh, that should be fun.

Thanks again.