Munetaka Higuchi - R.I.P.

Platinum Maze

Random Star
Feb 21, 2003
Oakland, NJ
I don't usually create too many threads here, but this was the drummer in one of my favorite bands, ever. Although I play guitar and obviously worship Akira, there weren't many drummers that could touch this guy. Highly underrated....great timing....killer chops. Bumming out today...

LOUDNESS Drummer MUNETAKA HIGUCHI Dead At 49 - Nov. 30, 2008

WeROCK City has informed BLABBERMOUTH.NET that drummer Munetaka Higuchi of veteran Japanese metallers LOUDNESS passed away today (Sunday, November 30) around 10:00 a.m. (Japan Standard Time) at a hospital in Osaka, Japan. He was 49 years old.

RIP

);

That's sad indeed. I got into Loudness fairly recent (even ordered "Thunder In The East" just two days ago) and I believe they are a good band that set the path for all other Jpanese bands to come.

And 49 it's young, damn barely 7 years older than me.

R.I.P.

Very sad news. Thunder in the East was great. I don't know enough of Loudness' material to really judge him as a musician, but I've never looked sourly upon their drumming, so he must have been quite good.

I forgot to include that he lost an 8 month battle with liver cancer. Not sure if anyone was aware he was diagnosed with it back in April.

Wyv, if you can deal with the Japanese lyrics, there really is a lot to like up to and including the s/t 1992 album. They not only set the path for Japanese bands. They were a huge influence worldwide.

Hey pm74, if you have Thunder, check out the drum fill towards the end of the song Get Away.

Wyv, if you can deal with the Japanese lyrics, there really is a lot to like up to and including the s/t 1992 album. They not only set the path for Japanese bands. They were a huge influence worldwide.

I have no problem with Japanese lyrics. Actaully I started with "The Birthday Eve" and "Devil Soldier". I jumped to "Thunder In The East" because I hadn't been able to find the albums in-between, it has been highly recommended through the years and was really cheap where I bought it :p

very sad news.

i too like Thunder in the East and Lightning Strikes

also, a good album is Live Loud Alive-mostly japanese-but worth the money

blessings of peace and honor to all who knew him and who were touched by his life and career

I felt compelled to listen to Loudness over the past couple of weeks.

R.I.P.

Ashes in the sky

I've been on a Loudness kick since the 30th here, and I'm horribly bummed that he lost his battle with cancer. I got into these guys around the time Live Loud Alive was available in the US (as an expensive import!), and remained a fan until the mid 90s. Their last few releases did absolutely nothing for me, but I would never slag them as a band, too much history, too much fun!

RIP Mr. Higuchi

I've been on a Loudness kick since the 30th

I hear ya. I had Live-Loud-Alive on the other night. Also was digging into Shadows of War which if you haven't heard it, has such better production than Lightning Strikes. The order of the songs is different too so it makes it interesting...and some god damned great drumming!!! :headbang: :erk: There are also different vocal lines and some nuance-type stuff that differ between the two albums.