Music DVDs

Rush in Rio RULES.

Some other favorites might include: Black Sabbath - "The Last Supper", Emperor -"Emperor Live Ceremony", Enslaved - "Live Retaliaton", etc.

Let me rate the ones I have!

rating_5.gif
Anathema "A Vision of a Dying Embrace"
rating_5.gif
Iron Maiden "Early Days. Pt. 1"
rating_4.gif
Candlemass "Documents of Doom"
rating_4.gif
Enslaved "Live Retaliation"
rating_4.gif
Kreator "Live Kreation"
rating_4.gif
Merciless "Live Obsesssion"
rating_3.gif
Krux "Live"
rating_3.gif
Slayer "Still Reigning"
rating_2.gif
Dark Tranquillity "Live Damage"

Rush In Rio is one of the best out there indeed
I cant remember the exact names of all the music dvds i like , only maybe the ones i own: "View From Here" from Fates Warning which is so complete and excellent, All the Queensryche dvds i have are amazing too (Operation Livecrime, "Building Empires"), The Black Sabbath story vol 1, Saviour Machine's "Live In Deutchland" is simply astonishing, it also has an old concert that rules everything.

King Crimson - Eyes Wide Open
King Crimson - Neal and Jack and Me

I have a hard time saying which is better, but they're both amazing.

there is one out from Sabbath that if you listen to it in 5.1 it just knocks your teeth in.

same with Maiden ... Rock in Rio

haha
if you read the book Grace Under Pressure, 30 Years of Rush by Martin Popoff, you'll get a feel for how bowled over the band were by their reception in Brazil. Although I guess they also expressed that fairly well in the documentary portion of the DVD. and amazingly, that Rio show was 40,000 people....the Sao Paolo show was 60,000!!

this has spurred me on to a resurgence of interest in the Band, although I can do without their textural synthy stuff from the mid eighties. But they're back in stride and its awesome.

Does anyone have Satyricon - Roadkill Extravaganza? I've wanted to get that for quite some time, but I'm not sure if it'd be worth it. What's the deal with it?

Enslaved's "Live Retalation" is merely "decent enough", in my opinion. The setlist is so-so. The interview is fantastic, though, featuring the world's best English speaker (some local Polish guy).

Emperor's "Emperial Live Ceremony" is top notch. They don't put on much of a show, but the setlist and performance is second to none.

Chromatose said:
portishead - roseland nyc

I'll second that. That was amazingly directed... considering all the work that had to go into just making that show functional, it's amazing. In the behind the scenes part, they show the humongous mixing desk they had to use simply to bump everyone in (band + orchestra).

The Emperial Live Ceremony DVD is fantastic too. Their performance was great, the mix was great and the setlist was great. Only thing that bothers me is those epileptic fit-inducing runs where the visual editor obviously got stoned during post production and decided to edit all the different camera feeds together spaced out by about 20 milliseconds.

Chromatose said:
King Crimson - Eyes Wide Open
King Crimson - Neal and Jack and Me

I have a hard time saying which is better, but they're both amazing.

only heard of the neal jack and me one yesterday....
need to get hold of that...now!

spent about 2 hrs last night on robert fripps sites... :cool:

the eyes wide open one is stunning
especially disc 1

need to get that portishead one
i have it taped from tv and the cd of it
an amazing performance
shivers down the old spine more than once

I have the primus 'animals shouldn't try to act like people' one, its class, not live but amazing to have all those old vids'

nuerosis - a sun that never sets is pretty cool, also not live but nice

unhinged said:
I have the primus 'animals shouldn't try to act like people' one, its class, not live but amazing to have all those old vids'

oh yeah, there is an insane amount of stuff on that dvd.

like the CHEESY HOME VIDEO, I'm so glad that finally made its way to DVD, I used to spent countless moments watching over some old VHS of that thing as a wee boy

Have you seen the Hallucinogenics Tour DVD? Amazing set, great sound, though the video leaves something to be desired however, a bit bland in that department.