Music for a living...??

fabian_from_hell

Bone ´em all.
Oct 29, 2005
Austria. Fucked.
this question goes out to billy or anyone else here.

i´m a musician and i know how hard it is for a band to establish and
my question is, how big has a band to get to do it for a living??

i really need an answer please, even if it´s a dumb question. or any other advices because i have absolutely no clue of that whole business thing.
i know a lot of great bands, like napalm death have to work secondary to get by, but i hate working. i really hate it. and i´ve always loved music in general. espacially playing. i don´t want to do anything else because music is a fuckin´way of life. it´s just more to me than a hobby.

:Smug: :Smug:

I'd say have a plan "B". Quit smokin weed, go back to school if you can and get a reliable income And do music for just fun. Or get a job thats related with music or performances. I've seen many people center there lives around music with no payoff.

fabian_from_hell said:
this question goes out to billy or anyone else here.

i´m a musician and i know how hard it is for a band to establish and
my question is, how big has a band to get to do it for a living??

i really need an answer please, even if it´s a dumb question. or any other advices because i have absolutely no clue of that whole business thing.
i know a lot of great bands, like napalm death have to work secondary to get by, but i hate working. i really hate it. and i´ve always loved music in general. espacially playing. i don´t want to do anything else because music is a fuckin´way of life. it´s just more to me than a hobby.

Well. in my honest opinion you should buy a couple of books on the buisness and read up on it. Try "Artist Development" by Eugene Foley.

fabian_from_hell said:
i hate working. i really hate it. and i´ve always loved music in general. espacially playing. i don´t want to do anything else because music is a fuckin´way of life. it´s just more to me than a hobby.

Gosh, you hate working, really? Well you are a strange fellow, the rest of us absolutely adore grafting our fingers to the bone trying to stay afloat.
Here's a clue - find some sort of work you can abide, or you might end up sucking off old men in toilets for cash. Erm, if you enjoy that, bingo!!

Even if you join/form a band, you are still going to have to get up in the morning and work hard. You will have to deal with stuff to keep your band going forward, phoning tossers/promoters/journalists/etc etc. You may get lucky and have a manager to do all that shit for you, but he won't be doing it because he likes you, he has bills to pay. The music industry, especially in this genre, is terribly fickle, and there are no multi-million dollar cheques waiting to be cashed by the likes of you. Or me. The competition is tough, far tougher than even ten years ago, there are literally hundreds of bands around, who, if you are honest, all sound/look the same. Thanks to the internet, every shitty little band who have been together 5 minutes can have a flashy website and can compete for the public's attention. You are going to have to be fucking special, or have some heavyweight pushing you in the right direction to become "known" . Talent has little to do with it - look at the likes of Robbie Williams etc (dunno the US equivilent, New Kids on the Block, or something?? Hey! We are back to the subject of sucking off old men to get anywhere!!! Erm, Allegedly!)

If you think you will just be ferried from showbiz party to your yacht whilst your lackeys chop your next line of Charlie, you are mistaken. If you want to live in a squat, and play a penny whistle on the subway with your cap on the floor, you may just make your living as a musician.
Obviously, I may be mistaken, and you may be a guitar god, about to show Steve Vai that he is a spastic, in which case good luck to you. However, my advice to you would be this:

Get a job involved in the music industry. There are many many things you can do that needn't mean getting up at the crack of dawn and working for some cunt of a boss, doing the same thing day in day out. Personally, I am a sound engineer, the boss of my own PA company, and doing very well thank you. I get to work with bands, some good, some shit, and very often, I'm the ONLY one in a packed venue getting paid that night, bands included! I enjoy it, even though I once WAS going to be a thrash metal superstar. Now, in my late 30's, I am still gigging from time to time with a band, or working the show. My beautiful waist-length hair is gone, and I am a fat bastard, but I am still making my living through music. If I had stayed in my band, I would be like them now - working shitty jobs to pay their bills.

Work is life, I'm afraid, stop kidding yourself, and knuckle down. Or get down the toilets with your kneepads on.

Sermon over, thank you for listening.

Never mind, my son, it had to happen!

Oh, I forgot this tip for Fabian, and it is probably the most important:

There is one thing that you must avoid at all costs. Let us imagine you have nearly landed that fat deal, the band is taking off, the future is looking good. You might just succeed.......
and then it happens, you arrive home after practice, looking to have your sweaty nuts licked, and those words of doom greet you -
"Fabian, my love, I'm afraid we are going to have to redecorate your studio, the guitars etc have to be moved. You see, we are going to have an arrival, WE ARE HAVING A BABY!!!!!!!!!!!"
That day, my friend, your dreams will go down the shitter, and you are moments away from having to take that warehouse job. Next thing you know, you will enjoy going to work to get some peace and quiet, you will be fat and 50 and your spandex jumpsuit that you have been keeping for your first tour "when the band get back together" won't fit you any more. And mice will have chewed holes in it.

KEEP YOUR COCK IN YOUR PANTS!

I've gotten used to the thought music will always be my hobby no.1, and you have to get some shitty job to make ends meet.

johnnieCzech said:
I've gotten used to the thought music will always be my hobby no.1, and you have to get some shitty job to make ends meet.

Doing music purely for the love of it can be more gratifying than struggling to make a living....possibly sacrificing your art and your integrity just to make a buck and to feed yourself. True financial success is too rare. Look at all the old bands still touring and struggling...doing lame reunions or sub-par albums of recycled crap because they're all grown up and now have families to support as well...which is ironic because touring and recording... spending all that time away from home is certainly not condusive to a healthy family life.

Just my opinion. What do I know?

Quit smokin weed, go back to school if you can and get a reliable income

at first i´d like to say i don´t smoke weed all the time. just on the weekends as other people drink beer or whisky. and i just thought the picture looks good. haha.

well, i have a good school-education and i think i can get a pretty much "good" job, but does it satisfy me? that´s the question. i don´t want to be like everyone else, you know - get up in the morning, doing a job you don´t really like until 6 o´clock, go home and watch tv. next day the same. over and over again. i have other goals than build a house and have a family. it´s just not the way i wanna live my life.

and to just say "no way, that won´t work" is a loser-attitude. most people just try once, if it works - it works, if it doesn´t - it doesn´t. if you really want something - you have to do everything for it. everything.

first off, there aint no money in metal (if thats what you want to do). im glad i realized all that at a younger age, and like assmaster, ive chosen to work with music in the engineering area, whether its live or studio, cause i really enjoy it. my band hasnt and probably will never make dollar one, and i dont care because i just enjoy playing the shit. even if you have your "shit job" till 5 or 6 o'clock, you still have a good 5-7 hours of free time to do your band, and that is when you will see how devoted you and your bandmates are about it.

gaschamber said:
first off, there aint no money in metal (if thats what you want to do). im glad i realized all that at a younger age, and like assmaster, ive chosen to work with music in the engineering area, whether its live or studio, cause i really enjoy it. my band hasnt and probably will never make dollar one, and i dont care because i just enjoy playing the shit. even if you have your "shit job" till 5 or 6 o'clock, you still have a good 5-7 hours of free time to do your band, and that is when you will see how devoted you and your bandmates are about it.

:worship:

You cannot play music with the expectation of "making it" because you probably never will. I play for fun and because I enjoy it so much and that is the most important thing.

schenkadere said:
Doing music purely for the love of it can be more gratifying than struggling to make a living....possibly sacrificing your art and your integrity just to make a buck and to feed yourself. True financial success is too rare. Look at all the old bands still touring and struggling...doing lame reunions or sub-par albums of recycled crap because they're all grown up and now have families to support as well...which is ironic because touring and recording... spending all that time away from home is certainly not condusive to a healthy family life.

Just my opinion. What do I know?

:worship: I share your opinion 100%!

Quick! Read "Scott Ian says SOD is over" , and then get your tape in the post!! Imagine being in SOD, glamorous babes rubbing their funbags all over you, endless mounds of purest Colombian Pink Flake brought to you on silver platters by dwarves in fancy dress. Hob-knobbing with huge stars like Axel Rose and Ozzy. Drive-by rotten egg attacks on Scott "Light-bulb head" Ian from your stretch limo! (Even chucking bacon sandwiches at him, far better!)
The rock star life beckons.
Better be quick though, my tape's in the post.

You cannot play music with the expectation of "making it" because you probably never will. I play for fun and because I enjoy it so much and that is the most important thing.

that´s not what i wanted to say. i never thought of beeing the big rock star with 10 cars and shit. i just want it to be more than a hobby. that "making it" was a bit missunderstood.

But alas, the thing is that you can't really "just make enough to live on" unless you are a very special type of person. Right now, you might think that so long as you get one meal a day and have some weed and some booze you are sorted, you can doss in any old squat or shed somewhere. Unfortunately, as you get older, you WILL change, you will decide you want a luxury shit-house with a fur-lined seat, or a bedroom with a massive telly and a four-poster bed, complete with restraints and cuffs at each corner. Just scraping by will become a bind, you will want some security in your life, and you will want to indulge yourself.

When you are young and hip and cool, you may just be able to live through your music, if you have something to offer the saturated scene. I remember reading how Motley Crue used to live in a stinking shitpit before they became huge stars, but they were that bit different to get noticed. Had they not, they wouldn't have lasted long before they went back to ....erm.... sucking off old men in toilets.

So, let us assume you are head and shoulders above anyone else around now, you have something to make ME (and the rest of the public) want to give you a listen and some of my cash instead of buying the new Guns 'n' Roses LP I have been waiting for 10 years to get. Your window of opportunity to hook me is very small, before you become stale, and fashion moves on.

As you get a little older the rest of your band might drift away to start families, or you might simply be seen as an old fart by the public. Your fan-base will get less and less interested in you, you may have large tax bills to pay (<cough> where have I heard that before?) Some other cunt might turn up and kill your scene for you - remember how Kurt Cobain and the whole grunge thing made Heavy Metal/Guitar solos/etc seriously uncool, seemingly overnight? All the fantastic bands that were up and coming, dropped! If you didn't come from Seattle and look like you had just shit yourself, you didn't have a hope!
You might even be really unlucky and have something so unique, it is before it's time, and the public don't catch on to it until 3 years later when you would have been at the forefront of a genre, had you not starved to death in the meantime!

Perhaps we misunderstood you, and you can read music, can play all types and styles easily, so there WOULD be a career as a session musician or with an orchestra or something. If you don't mind filling in for a jazz guitarist in a show, with no rehearsal, reading the score as you play, there will be work. You may also have to dress up as a fucking banana or a massive sausage and ponce round a shopping mall or a kiddies party, but, hey, you will be making a living playing music!

To finish here, please don't think I'm being negative just to be an arsehole. All I am trying to say, in this day and age it is incredibly difficult to do it. When I was a youth, I was definitely going to be a rock star, I didn't need to pay attention at school, I was something special, I had a guitar and could play it well. Megastardom was certain, I'd be out on the piss with Ozzy in no time........
Luckily, I'm a clever cunt, so I managed to salvage something out of all my best efforts, because it obviously DIDN'T happen for me. Or many others. And those that did make a bit of an impression and shift a few LPs, have only survived because they could do other things - manage other bands, or turn their hand to being Producers/Engineers. Very very few musicians have been able to survive on their music alone for more than a short while when they were "hot".

By all means go for it, prove us wrong, make us fucking jealous, I wish you the best of luck! The only good thing is about the march of technology now is that you can record, package and market your killer album from home in the sticks via your PC. You don't need to run away to London, New York, L.A. or Nashville and live on the street whilst you wait your big break. Use your brain, keep your options open and you won't have to take a shitty job. Or suck off any old men.

To finish here, please don't think I'm being negative just to be an arsehole.

no way, man. that&#180;s a good post and i&#180;m thankful for the advices. always good to hear what other people have to say.

By all means go for it, prove us wrong, make us fucking jealous

that&#180;s what i&#180;m about to do. haha.

The only good thing is about the march of technology now is that you can record, package and market your killer album from home in the sticks via your PC. You don't need to run away to London, New York, L.A. or Nashville and live on the street whilst you wait your big break. Use your brain, keep your options open and you won't have to take a shitty job. Or suck off any old men.

that&#180;s what i wanted to hear. thanks. cool. i&#180;m gonna let you know when i got some shit online.