Music Institue

Jun 2, 2002
Visit site
I have been playing guitar for a few years now, im turning 16 soon, and I have learned several different instruments like sax, clarinet, piano, bass, etc. but for guitar i felt emennse passion i practise for endless hours.

I was wondering if any of you guitar players were wanting to go to music institute and wut kind of music you are playing.

i play a lot of paul gilbert, maiden, and children of bodom.

what's up?

I'm currently at a music institute and am studying classical guitar. I'm 20 and have been playing instruments since I was 5 and guitar since I was 10. Its true that's its a hard career to have. The money is VERY good when you get work, but work is far and few betweem and you constantly have to be selling yourself. Currently we're playing alot of paganini, villa-lobos, tarrega, sor, carcassi, etc. Which is standard classical guitar repertoire for uni or institute level. I'd recommend studying music at a uni so that you get other classes other than just music. Good luck

Musical Institute? Only if I were so lucky. I'm learning theory right now 15 years after I started playing... It's an adventure, but I have a better understanding of why my music works, and not just that it does.

I'm planning on attending Berklee for a dual major in production/engineering and midi synth after I graduate from this 2 year school. Going to visit there this summer actually. But I know it's hard as shit to make that your living, so I'm taking some web design courses and gonna take that up on the side. Money's not an issue for me, it's just about doing what I love.

Hey dude,
Berklee is a good school for rock/pop/blues stuff, but isn't respected among other national music schools because it doesn't teach classical anything. I don't know how their studio program is though.... By study midi you mean what? Actual sound engineering? Midi is quite simple actually, I don't know if a major exists just for it. to the guy who's learning theory... isn't it the most mind-opening thing you've ever done in music? It has changed my life in music. Every guitarist should do it, the rewards are endless.

Midi studio is the name of the program at Berklee. It has it listed as a major. Honestly, I don't know what they can really teach about that, but I'll find out this summer. Their studios are some of the best. Friend of mine went there. Studios are numerous, up to date with the most current technology and accessible to the students. Dunno how much he knows about studio mechanics to say the tech is current, but I guess that's what they fed him when he went. That sux about the classical part. I love classical, but I'm re-thinking what I want to do. I've heard more horror stories that sucess stories in the music industry, and from my friends first hand who are in it which makes it worse. Hard to still want to do something when all you hear is failure

Berklee is the Harvard of music schools. You need to have at least 2 years of formal music training as one of the entrance requirements. Instructor should go over a lot of theory and help you choose a piece to play for them (if you want a scholership I think you need to either send a tape of u playing, but chances increase if u play in front of them) I would recommend playing a classical piece instead of a rock piece, but then again ask your teacher to recommend something and practice it like a bitch. Go to the website (www.berklee.edu) and request info. Good luck

formal music traning. i sort of have to teachers. i live in indoneisa, im attending the american school. one of my teachers comes 3 time a week teaches songs and techniques. and the other graduated from a music institue in hollywood. he the best in the county and one of the best in the states. wut type of music should i attempt to play? i can play a lot of mr. big, paul gilbert and maiden

Bodom, my advice would be to try a classical piece. A paganini (spelling?) maybe or Bach, but it has to be impressive somewhat showing near flawless technique and such. But best bet is to ask your teachers (by the way, I'm jealous as shit that you have two, hard as hell to find a good qualified one, lol) which they would recommend you playing. Most people play Flight Of the Bumblebee, but I think it's rather short and not out of this world hard. Maybe something with a nice sweep or two would go over with them good, but again, ask your teachers to recommend a piece and practice it like there's no tomorrow. Good luck

Oh yah, just realized. There's not much classical stuff being learned there, so don't know how much it will impress them. A lot of jazz and rock is what the school was based on. Ask your teacher though

Can't help you there. ASK YOUR TEACHER, lol. Seriously, no one will answer that question better than he/she because they know what will impress the guys at admissions or whatever they call the department based on technique used in each piece. But if u want me to give u an answer learn "Flight Of the Bumblebee". There's a rock ver of it, but only difference is the drums and shit really

Sorry to say Irfaan, but you've been sorely misinformed, Berklee is FAAAAAAR from the Harvard of music schools lol. How could a school that only teaches rock and blues method be on top? The harvard of music schools is Julliard conservatory in new york, some other tops are Yale music, Oberlin conservatory, and Cinncinati conservatory. Berklee is not respected among classical music schools. It's not a bad school, but definitely nowhere near the top. Especially in the global scale. If you want good audition pieces (to the other post) you HAVE to play something classical, it'll be the only way to impress the audtioners. Start growing your nails now and look at some carcassi, tarrega, and if you want to play classical on electric, play some paganini. The best (but hardest) are paganini's 24 caprices for violin, I only suggest working on these if you really know what you're doing though. good luck

I was aware that they didn't teach classical, which is a very stupid thing I think. But that was a bold statement (on my part), maybe too bold with the Harvard thing, but I got all this basically from my friend who spent the summer there. The req for admissions were so strict and I'd never seen that many req for a music school. I wasen't aware of those other ones right in NY. (@ Bodom) But alright, dude above gave info too. Now it's just up to you to make a choice.

BTW, what makes Julliard so great? Not being sarcastic, I've never heard of it and although I don't think I'll be studying music, it's still interesting to know. Too many horror stories rather than an even number (at least) of success stories turned me away from it

hey everyone,
Julliard goes as follows... you're pretty much only getting in if you're an international child prodigy, really rich and/or a prodigy, or you squeek in in the available leftover spots. Here's an audition requirements site for julliard, check out guitar, I know it's graduate level... but holy crap, plus that seems like the easiest audition... I don't even wanna get going on piano or violin who have to sing operas as part of their audition. http://www.julliard.edu/admissions/musicaudition.html

Check out the "anything composed before 1939 must be from memory" haha. And everything is over 9 minutes long.
If you're a serious musician and have had at least some classical exposure, you know that Julliard is the best american music conservatory. Not to berate you or anything Irfaan, you sound like a decent musician, but I too was personally invited to study at Berklee and turned it down because I already had taken all their class equivalents by the time I was 20. Plus it offers no classical, and without classical training, it's just that much harder to make it in the performing world. (That and my guitar professor thought it to be a hippie school hehe). Alright, nice talking with you all