Music Institue

"classical exposure, you know that Julliard is the best american music conservatory. Not to berate you or anything Irfaan, you sound like a decent musician"

LoL, far from it, but thank you. Only way I learned was "Oh, this note goes good with this one" and "Hey, that's a chord or scale". I find it cool I'm self taught to that level, but I don't consider myself a musician. Maybe more a hobbyist at this point. But thnx for the info on Julliard. Sounds like a cool place to study. lata fellas

Nihilist would you happen to have any info on classical study for bass. Bach's cello suites are for classical bassists, what i understand the essentials for classical bass as Paganini's violin caprices are for guitar. But my knowlege ends there. I was wondering if you had any info for classical bass training.

Hey Sad,
I assume you mean classical bass on double-bass (upright) not bass guitar.
If you want to learn all the bech cello suites and concertos on Bass then more power to ya, I bet they'd be a bitch to learn on the big bass neck. But that would be pretty impressive. I really don't know all that much about bass pieces... I'm trying to think. Bach does have a ton of cello stuff I know and therefore I assume he did bass stuff too so I'd check him out. What are really fun to play on bass are some version's of Vivaldi's "La Folia" because every instrument gets a movement in which they get the emphasis. It's very technically challenging, but fun if you get the right version. I'm probably not the right person to ask about this though, sorry. The internet has a ton of material for bass though, just put in a search. Good Luck.

thank you the reply. Vivaldi is a favorite of mine... I will look into that piece. What school do you study at and what do you know about the school's upright bass program? I live like 20 minutes from Berk Lee but I don't think i would ever go there. It is all jazz and i hate jazz. And the tuition is around 35k, which is intimidating considering the limited career options for music grads. I might apply to the new england conservatory, i don't know many other places that I could apply to. The fact is there isn't as much info on classical bass study as there is for guitar. But im looking around.

Hey there Sad,
What kind of education are you looking for? A 4 year-lib arts? A conservatory? It all depends on how good you are and where in the country you want to go... Since I believe it's invalueble to have education outside music as a backup here are my recommendations (mostly 4 year music schools) in each region. As far as I know all have respectable classical bass departments (I hate jazz too haha):

In the West:
USC (University of Southern California) and Cal Arts (both in los angeles) are very good music schools:

In the midwest:
Cincinnati Conservatory of music. Not a 4 year standard university, but one of the best conservatories in the country.

In the South:
Loyola University New Orleans (which is where I go and could give you tons of info on our music school, its the best of all the jesuit universities) and University of Miami. Both are internationally respected schools.

In the northeast:
Julliard School (Best conservatory in America but you need to be a rich prodigy to get in), Oberlin Conservatory, Brevard, Haverford and NYU.

These are just the tip of the iceburg... I don't know as much about the midwest and the northeast, you might know better, but those are the one's that I've heard are good. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Thanks again, I'm definitly going to check those out. Just wondering since you have a formal backround in music. What metal bands do you like? WHich bands do you consider talented. I think Opeth is probably the best out of them all. Children of Bodom and Soilwork are up there too.

Thanks Sad and good luck with your music college search. As far as my metal likings go, the only style that remains constant is that the music itself is interesting, hence I don't like alot of 4 chord thrash. What I mean is that I really like bands like Rhapsody (even though I hate their lyrics), Stratovarious (listen to the first half of "holy light" it's technical heavan), Children of Bodom, Yngwie Malmsteen (even though he's a pompous ass), Blind Guardian (great sound production), Nightwish, and you know the sort. I guess alot of power metal, but I know how borderline cheesy some of it can be. I really do lke Opeth too, but I think that their songs don't flow from section to section as well. I think they write a ton of short motifs and just clump them all together, ie black rose immortal, without spending too much time bridging them smoothly. But yes opeth is talented. Also, anything that's classically influenced is always cool. Although I have to say that there is a band out there that epitomizes EVERYTHING I want in a band. So I guess my dreamteam would be: haha

Singer: Blind Guardian vocals for hard, and Opeth or HIM (yes I know they're a little mainstream) vocals for clean
Guitarist: Alexi from CoB and the guitarist from Stratovarious.
Bassist: The bassist from this Italian band Helreidh, he's phenomenal
Drummer: CoB's drummer with the sound of Stratovarious's drums.
Keyboard: Rhapsody's, Dimmu Borgir's, Black Jester's, or Stratovarious keyboards.

Haha, I know that was a rant, but I hope it helped, thanks

ok i think the perfect lineup would be
Vocals: Thomas Lindberg (At The Gates) or Akerfeldt from Opeth

Bass: Steve Digiorgio (too many bands), or Geddy Lee from Rush

Drums: Richard Christy (Death)

Guitars: One guy from soilwork( I love their leads) and the main songwriter from Dissection

The perfect line-up for me would be:

bass - Lars Norberg from Spiral Architect(this dude can freaking play, and I believe he cam eover to the states and studied bass at Musician's Institute in hollywood) by the way, i think Musician's Institute is the way to go, especially when you have such good musicians that study and teach there, for instance Paul Gilbert, the drummer from lost horizon studied there, and one of the guys from hammerfall also went there.

guitars - Paul Gilbert and Ron Jarzombek(if you have not heard Ron Jarzombek you need to, he is so amazing. He is the guitarist for Watchtower, and his side band Spastic Ink is amazing, come on, Ron composed the music and dialogue from the Bambi movie onto guitar, bass, and drums, and it turned out perfect)

keyboards - Alex Starrapoli from Rhapsody, Jahne Wirmin from Children of Bodom, and of course Jens Johansson(he is so nuts and perfect at everything he does)

drums - Bobby Jarzombek(dude from halford, older riot, and spastic ink), Asgeir Mickelson(dude from Spiral Architect, this guy is so amazing), and Virgil Donati(the man and god of drumming, he can do anything he wants) All 3 of these drummers would trade-off and do drumset and the others do percussion and stuff like that.

Vocals - fabio lione, jorn lande, and d.c. cooper
with lows done by chuck schuldiner, I love his voice, may he rest in peace

To irfaan
I went to Berklee for their summer performance program last year, along with the guitar sessions for the past 2 years. Berklee is a JAZZ school, not blues and rock. They shoved all the damn 7th, 9th ect.. chords and all the inversions down my throat the whole time I was there. If you can get in with Joe Stump or Don Lappin you should be ok during the summer. Don is a tapping GOD, think back to Reb Beach. I can't afford to go this year but I did learn alot. I have stacks of papers/tabs/books from there.

Joe stump is bad as hell, he isn't all yngwie licks, and he tabbed out half of soilworks predator's portrait album for me last summer!!

My Brother got accepted to MI, but he also got accepted to Burkley(sp?). Which are you going to go to. The one with Joe Stump, or the one with no one?

I personally think that to be a successful musican, you must be versatile and not just sit there with one genre. Like take my family, we are a musical family (Minues my dad, but my dad is awesome), and we like to play all kinds of genres. Jazz, Techno-based-Rock, Metal, Funk, and more... The key to success is versatility.

I agree that versatility is the most valueble tool in a being a musician. That's why I think learning classically is so helpful, because once you learn that, you really can play anything. Jazz is good too, but if you only learn jazz, you miss out on the classical genre, which on guitar is almost like playing an entirely different instrument. Jazz also reads charts and tabs and not so much standard notation, so I'd still advocate classical. Also, I still don't know why why everyone makes a big deal about MI, it's an extremely overpriced school for what you get. It's not a 4 year university nor a music conservatory... so I don't understand how it got so much respect. I mean I agree that it's successfully made a name for itself, but I think only so in the rock/jazz world. Oh well, I might actually do a post-grad recording certificate there or something just because I live in Los Angeles who knows. Later

Originally posted by nihilist
I agree that versatility is the most valueble tool in a being a musician. That's why I think learning classically is so helpful, because once you learn that, you really can play anything. Jazz is good too, but if you only learn jazz, you miss out on the classical genre, which on guitar is almost like playing an entirely different instrument. Jazz also reads charts and tabs and not so much standard notation, so I'd still advocate classical. Also, I still don't know why why everyone makes a big deal about MI, it's an extremely overpriced school for what you get. It's not a 4 year university nor a music conservatory... so I don't understand how it got so much respect. I mean I agree that it's successfully made a name for itself, but I think only so in the rock/jazz world. Oh well, I might actually do a post-grad recording certificate there or something just because I live in Los Angeles who knows. Later

Oh shit, I knew I was forgetting a genre...