Music you like that isn't Metal

DMTokie

entity
Dec 18, 2007
cupchicks.com
(My apologies if there is already a thread on this, but the search function on ultimate metal blows since it wont allow me to search for "not", etc due to it being under 4 characters)

Im interested to see what music COB fans adore that is not metal. Dont be afraid of sounding soft or something, post that shit!

Heres a list of some of the stuff im into:

Jam:

Gov't Mule
Grateful Dead
Phish

Jazz:

John Scofield
Medeski, Martin, and Wood
Billy Cobham
Miles Davis
Jaco Pastorius
Weather Report
Tribal Tech
Vic Wooten

Funk/related:
The Meters
Galactic
Stevie Wonder (old shit)

Rock/Prog/Classic/Other:

Primus
RUSH
Yes
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
King Crimson
Van Morrison
Frank Zappa
Creedence
Cream
Hawkwind

Classical:

J.S. Bach
Vivaldi
Schoenberg
Chopin
Handel
Debussy

A lot of electronica such as Aphex Twin, Murcof, Boards Of Canada, Bola, Telefon Tel Aviv, Squarepusher, The Tuss, Amon Tobin, Ellen Alien, Autechre, TM Juke, 4Hero, Velvet Acid Christ, Plaid, Aim, Surgeon, Vladislav Delay, Photek, Bang Gang, The Cinematic Orchestra, Arovane, Craig Armstrong, Justice, Daft Punk, Monolake, Archive, Birdy Nam Nam, DJ Shadow, Quantic, Radio Nova, Avril, Pan Sonic, Four Tet, Halou, Zero 7, Lamb, Portishead, Prefuse 73, Plastikman, Brothomstates, Telepopmusik, Air, Kraftwerk, Wax Tailor, Diagnostic.. Old progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Camel, Return To Forever, King Crimson, Rush, Jethro Tull, Marillion), post-rock (Explosions In The Sky, Mono, Neurosis, Pelican, Totorro, Set Fire To Flames), pop-rock (Blackfield, Radiohead, Pure Reason Revolution, Egotrippi, John Wesley, KT Tunstall, Muse, The Gathering, Autour De Lucie, Poison, Ex-Wise Heads), rock in a general way. Then random stuff as Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, Fun Lovin Criminals, Nick Drake, Bass Communion, Stars Of The Lid, David Bowie, Feist, Imogen Heap / Frou Frou, Sylvain Chauveau, Zazie, Anja Garbarek, Elend, Stevie Wonder, Mozart, Mary Ford, Akira Yamaoka, Emilie Simon, Chick Corea, Sebastien Tellier, Kate Rogers, Feist, Jamiroquai, No-Man, Beethoven, Nobuo Uematsu, Jeff Buckley, John Butler, Björk, Esthero, Rothko, Frognstein, Miles Davis, NOFX, The Bloodhound Gang ...

And BTW, this topic already exists. x3.

Outside of metal I like some Hard Rock bands like Drowning Pool, Audrey Horne, RE:Ignition, Seether, Breaking Benjamin, AM Conspiracy, Black Stone Cherry...

I also like some Folk bands such as Vartinna, Runrig, Capercaille, The Battlefield Band, Spinach For Norman...

I like a lot of punk related music (Klamydia, Kylähullut, NOFX, Rise Against, Raised Fist, Rytmihäiriö...) and some finnish rock music classics like Eppu Normaali.

A lot of electronica such as Aphex Twin, Murcof, Boards Of Canada, Bola, Telefon Tel Aviv, Squarepusher, The Tuss, Amon Tobin, Ellen Alien, Autechre, TM Juke, 4Hero, Velvet Acid Christ, Plaid, Aim, Surgeon, Vladislav Delay, Photek, Bang Gang, The Cinematic Orchestra, Arovane, Craig Armstrong, Justice, Daft Punk, Monolake, Archive, Birdy Nam Nam, DJ Shadow, Quantic, Radio Nova, Avril, Pan Sonic, Four Tet, Halou, Zero 7, Lamb, Portishead, Prefuse 73, Plastikman, Brothomstates, Telepopmusik, Air, Kraftwerk, Wax Tailor, Diagnostic.. Old progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Camel, Return To Forever, King Crimson, Rush, Jethro Tull, Marillion), post-rock (Explosions In The Sky, Mono, Neurosis, Pelican, Totorro, Set Fire To Flames), pop-rock (Blackfield, Radiohead, Pure Reason Revolution, Egotrippi, John Wesley, KT Tunstall, Muse, The Gathering, Autour De Lucie, Poison, Ex-Wise Heads), rock in a general way. Then random stuff as Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, Fun Lovin Criminals, Nick Drake, Bass Communion, Stars Of The Lid, David Bowie, Feist, Imogen Heap / Frou Frou, Sylvain Chauveau, Zazie, Anja Garbarek, Elend, Stevie Wonder, Mozart, Mary Ford, Akira Yamaoka, Emilie Simon, Chick Corea, Sebastien Tellier, Kate Rogers, Feist, Jamiroquai, No-Man, Beethoven, Nobuo Uematsu, Jeff Buckley, John Butler, Björk, Esthero, Rothko, Frognstein, Miles Davis, NOFX, The Bloodhound Gang ...

And BTW, this topic already exists. x3.

tfl;dfr

Space it out better or something to make it easier to read.:kickass:

On Topic: Non-metal that I like? Everything.:kickass:

I dig 80s music, I even listen to Depeche Mode occasionally. And I love Glam, especially Mötley Crüe :)
well, and then there's the shitload of 80s Rock and Hard-Rock music.

My background is in classical music, I listen to it at least once a week, things like Mozart, Bach, Shostakovich, Grieg. I also appreciate jazz, I listen to Charlie Parker, Miles Davis and -sometimes, when I'm really in the mood- Thelonious Monk.
Non metal bands that I like... the hard rock stuff is really cool, I listen to Guns everyday, Aerosmith, Skid Row, Faith no More, Guano Apes... I also like punk music, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Germs... Oh, I listen to The Dresden Dolls very often, and also Enter Shikari.

Billy Talent, Burzum's two ambient albums, and a bit of classical.

But that's about it. Pretty much everything else I listen to, is metal.

Bah, everyone who's into classical always listen to Bach. Well, he's like the mainstream Justin Timberlake of Classical music....

jk.

Now here's some more unheard of (what I call underground) classical music.:lol::kickass:

Nielsen
Walton
Milhaud
Amilcare Ponchielli
Barber
Falla
Jacques Ibert
Honegger
Tippett
Gombert
Pierre de La Rue
Rossi