Musicians' on Bush / America / Elections

painergrey

Jul 15, 2004
Norway's Imhotep 'zine recently asked more than 60 heavy metal and hard rock musicians to answer the following question regarding the current political situation in the world: What's your opinion on the rising tide of the anti-American sentiment around the world and to what would you attribute this?

Among the musicians that took part in this "survey" were the following:

Adam Bomb
Alan Nemtheanga (PRIMORDIAL)
Albert Bouchard (BLUE ÖYSTER CULT)
Aldo Lonobile (SECRET SPHERE)
Anders Iwers (TIAMAT)
Andreas Kisser (SEPULTURA)
Andy Sneap (SABBAT)
Andy Tanas (ex-KROKUS, BLACK OAK ARKANSAS)
Andy Timmons (ex-DANGER DANGER)
Antti Kokko (KALMAH)
Aquiles Priester (ANGRA)
Bill Leverty (FIREHOUSE)
Billy Gould (ex-FAITH NO MORE, ex-BRUJERIA)
Billy Sheehan (STEVE VAI - ex-MR.BIG, TALAS, NIACIN)
Brian Vollmer (HELIX)
Byron (BAL-SAGOTH)
Craig Nielsen (FLOTSAM AND JETSAM)
Daniel Gildenlöw (PAIN OF SALVATION)
Doug Pinnick (KING'S X)
Ginger (THE WILDHEARTS)
Gus G. (DREAM EVIL, FIREWIND)
Guus (ORPHANAGE)
Harley Flanagan (CRO-MAGS)
Ian Parry (ELEGY, CONSORTIUM PROJECT)
James Murphy (ex-DEATH, TESTAMENT, OBITUARY)
Jizzy Pearl (RATT, LOVE/HATE, ex-L.A. GUNS)
Joey Alves (Y&T)
Joey Vera (FATES WARNING, ARMORED SAINT, ANTHRAX)
Johnny Monaco (ENUFF Z' NUFF)
Juan Garcia (AGENT STEEL)
Keith Knight (ASKA)
Kelly Keeling (KING KOBRA, MSG, BATON ROUGE)
Kelly Shaefer (NEUROTICA, ATHEIST)
Ken Hensley (URIAH HEEP)
Kristian Andren (WUTHERING HEIGHTS)
Kurdt Vanderhoof (METAL CHURCH)
Leif Jensen (DEW-SCENTED)
Lenny Wolf (KINGDOM COME)
Lips (ANVIL)
Marc Rizzo (SOULFLY, ILL NINO)
Mark Jansen (EPICA, AFTER FOREVER)
Max (HEARSE)
Michael Lardie (GREAT WHITE)
Mike Patton (FANTOMAS, TOMAHAWK, MR. BUNGLE, FAITH NO MORE)
Nebelhexe (NEBELHEXE)
Neil Turbin (ex-ANTHRAX)
Niclas Etelavuori (AMORPHIS)
Nikolo Kotzev (BRAZEN ABBOT)
Olaf Lenk (AT VANCE)
Oliver Hartmann (EMPTY TREMOR, GENIUS, AVANTASIA)
Oliver Phillips (EVERON)
Patrice Guers (RHAPSODY, PATRICK RONDAT)
Scott "Wino" Weinrich (PROBOT, THE OBSESSED, SPIRIT CARAVAN)
Spike Cassidy (D.R.I.)
Stefan Zell (WOLVERINE)
Steve Lukather
Steve Vai
Tchort (GREEN CARNATION, BLOOD RED THRONE)
Ted Poley (DANGER DANGER)
Tim Donahue (MADMEN & SINNERS)
Tony Harnell (TNT)
Tommy Shaw (STYX)
Valtias Mustatuuli (ARTHEMESIA)
Wulfstan (FOREFATHER)

Check out the results at this location - Anti American???

Remember this on November 2, 2004:

Currently, rumors are abound that the draft may be re-instated under the guise of the Universal National Service Act. Of course, with the election so close, nobody from the Bush Administration or the Kerry campaign is saying anything about re-activating the draft to finish the war in Iraq which, to date has claimed more than 1,163 lives (1028 Americans are now dead and 7026 are wounded). President Bush challenged the early Iraqi insurgency in July of last year to, "Bring them on!" According to the Pentagon, 812 American soldiers have been killed and 6,290 wounded Remember this on November 2, 2004:

Currently, rumors are abound that the draft may be re-instated under the guise of the Universal National Service Act. Of course, with the election so close, nobody from the Bush Administration or the Kerry campaign is saying anything about re-activating the draft to finish the war in Iraq which, to date has claimed more than 1,163 lives (1028 Americans are now dead and 7026 are wounded). President Bush challenged the early Iraqi insurgency in July of last year to, "Bring them on!" According to the Pentagon, 812 American soldiers have been killed and 6,290 wounded since then.

The number of days, combined, that George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, John Ashcroft and Paul Wolfowitz served in Vietnam:

The number of people - including George W. Bush - who can definitively say where George W. Bush was during the 6-month gap in 1972 when G.W. was supposed to be serving in the Texas Air National Guard:

0 + 0 = 0

Number of student deferments (category 2-S, according to the Selective Service System) used by Dick Cheney, dated March 20, 1963; July 23, 1963; October 14, 1964; and November 1, 1965 (according to Selective Service System records):

Number of deferments used by Dick Cheney for family hardship (category 3-A, dated January 19, 1966)

This deferment came as the Cheneys were expecting their first child, Elizabeth who was born on July 28th, 1966. It should be noted that her birth occured 9 months and 2 days after a change in government policy that made childless married men more likely to be drafted.

Number of times Cheney was given 1-A status by the Selective Service System (a condition meaning he was able to serve, dated February 15, 1962 and May 19, 1965):

Dick Cheney was quoted in 1989 during his Senate confirmation hearings for his nomination to lead the Pentagon that he "would have obviously been happy to serve" had he been called. Cheney has also been quoted during that time:

"I had other priorities in the '60s than military service."

Dick Cheney turned 26 on January 30, 1967. This age removed him from the draft pool for good while the war in Vietnam - which claimed over 58,000 American lives - raged on.

It should also be noted that George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, John Ashcroft and Paul Wolfowitz have all been quoted as being in favor of the war in Vietnam. :confused:

Remember all this in November, especially if you're between the ages of 18-26 or you know someone that is. Apparently, these men certainly have no reservation about sending somebody else's kids off to die in a war against a country that has never attacked the U.S. while the people who have attacked us have been allowed to go free thanks to this nice little detour in the War on Terror.

Sources: Los Angeles Times. Thursday September 16, 2004. Pg. A19 Cheney's Draft Deferments Not Outside The Norm

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/forces/casualties/2004.04.html

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/091704Y.shtml.

I'm just wondering why service in the military or lack of service (on Bush and Cheney's part) seems very important to you. Who did you serve with? I dont know it matters to me but, I am a VET. I was with the 3/75th and 5/9 inf in the early 90s. I just find it very strange that people who did not serve are concerned with the lack of service of others.

It is also very insulting to all of us who are serving or who did serve, all of whom volunteered and swore to serve our country, have be characterised as victims. Remember all this in November, especially if you're between the ages of 18-26 or you know someone that is. Apparently, these men certainly have no reservation about sending somebody else's kids off to die in a war. We are not kids, it is us who have to die to protect you!

I am now out of the Army and work in DHS, and all I have to say on that ( I cant give any specific info due to security issues) is you have no clue how big the threat is, and how close it is.

A lowly VET

the guy said:
I'm just wondering why service in the military or lack of service (on Bush and Cheney's part) seems very important to you. Who did you serve with? I dont know it matters to me but, I am a VET. I was with the 3/75th and 5/9 inf in the early 90s. I just find it very strange that people who did not serve are concerned with the lack of service of others.

It is also very insulting to all of us who are serving or who did serve, all of whom volunteered and swore to serve our country, have be characterised as victims. Remember all this in November, especially if you're between the ages of 18-26 or you know someone that is. Apparently, these men certainly have no reservation about sending somebody else's kids off to die in a war. We are not kids, it is us who have to die to protect you!

I am now out of the Army and work in DHS, and all I have to say on that ( I cant give any specific info due to security issues) is you have no clue how big the threat is, and how close it is.

A lowly VET
God Bless You, "the guy".!

So apparently we need to close and tightly defend/seal our borders, kick out anyone who doesn't have citizenship, pull all of our troops home, and let the rest of the world hash it out. Screw the U.N., screw our "allies". Sound good to you?

Any of our troops that are fighting at this moment are not exactly there against their will. Yes its sad that some are dying and being injured, and no one wants that to happen to any of the parties involved, but they knew the possibilities when they signed up. You don't join the military for an oversea's vacation. Has there ever been a war that was fully supported by the American people, or other nations for that matter? I can't think of any. Have we ever had a president with a 100% approval rating? Hmmm, can't say that any come to mind. Bush may be screwing up here and there, but who is to say that the next guy will be any better? Just about everyone ever elected has done an about-face shortly after taking office in one way or another.

To Bush Whacker; You're way off topic, and I can only hope that once the election is over you will cease the political blathering. Its getting old imo.

To the guy; Thank you for your service and bravery. Though I may not always agree with what the government does with its soildiers, I will always support our troops and their decision to serve our country.

Those of us that have been against the President Select from the beginning (before September11), will always support the troops. They are out there doing what they get paid to do...

WHAT I don't like is the politicians who use them to attack those of us that are against the war... because we are against the war and against the President, according the the neocons of the world, we are against the troops (this has been told to my face by several people). NOTHING could be farther from the truth.

I believe it is the most American thing to do to criticize the gov't when things are being done which go against what we portray ourselves to be.
I would like more attention paid to the ills within. Kids are graduating from High School with a third grade reading level. The ban on assault weapons just expired and no one did a thing about it. Schwartzenneger just vetoed the minimum wage hike. Let's talk about these ills... how about it!?
No flames or this thread goes bye bye, I will invoke my inner neocon and Patriot Act this sucker... SO says I

the guy said:

A lowly VET
:worship: