Musician's Welfare

It's sort of like an artist's grant you can get in the US. But we all know that the US government doesn't have the money it used to, so getting a grant would be easier said than done.

I know the NEA gives money (or used to) for certain kinds of art. But could a rock or metal musician ever qualify for that in the US?

It's a shame that in this country the word "welfare" has becoming something bad. this fits better with the musician programs internationally it would seem.

wel·fare

noun
the good fortune, health, happiness, prosperity, etc., of a person, group, or organization; well-being.

What Oscar is talking about has nothing to do with being a musician. That's an unemployment program in Sweden that applies to all Swedes. If you are unemployed, the Govt gives you a salary to live off of and pay your expenses. It's alot like our welfare program here, except the Swedes get alot more money from the Government. As a result, Sweden's unemployment levels and taxes are much higher than ours, but the quality of life is also higher. So there's the trade off.

Whenever I see something like this, as awesome as it is, I feel like it would be way too hard to apply to Americans, just because there are SO MANY OF US. The US is an enormous country and getting everyone to agree to such a way of living would be very hard.

Getting anyone to agree on anything in the US is probably one of the most difficult things a single human being can ever do in the modern world.
There are way too many people out there that think that paying a wedding band $500 is overkill. So to convince the majority of people of the United States that being a musician is a significant and worthwhile job, you'll get some looks like you're an alien with 3 heads. Being a musician in America loses you money. It loses you lots of money for lots of reasons.
If you try to tell the Federal Government that you're in a gigging band, they're gonna try to find a way to tax you for that.
True story brah.

There are way too many people out there that think that paying a wedding band $500 is overkill. So to convince the majority of people of the United States that being a musician is a significant and worthwhile job, you'll get some looks like you're an alien with 3 heads.

TRUTH. It's amazing how many people do not value musicianship. They see music-making as a hobby, something you do on your off-time.

Whenever I see something like this, as awesome as it is, I feel like it would be way too hard to apply to Americans, just because there are SO MANY OF US. The US is an enormous country and getting everyone to agree to such a way of living would be very hard.

It's certainly possible, it would just take a long time. That's about the farthest I'll say on that without getting into my own subjective opinions.

Personally I had no problem paying my friend the musician to play at our wedding. (He was also my groomsman) Then again, he works hard to be a full-time musician. (Also helps that his wife makes the money in the family.)