Must buy myself an XMAS present....what to get ?

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
OK, my band is going into the studio January 14. And I wanna get some new guitar Equipment that will sound good recorded.

First off I wanna say that my band sounds kinda like Sevendust, Disturbed, Unearth, 36 Crazyfists, or Caliban. And the Engineer said he is gonna mic up with an SM57 and a Sennheiser 421.

Now, I currently have an:

Ibanez MMM1 (dropA)-- EMG81
Line6 HD147
Crate BlueVoodoo Cab (V30's)
Maxon 808 ....on order....

But I'm slowly starting to hate my sound.
Can't spend more than maybe 2,000 at most.

what should I get ? New amp ? New amp and cab ? Guitar ?:yell:

I'm currently considering amp wise......

Framus Cobra = Ebay- $ 1,800 - 2,200
EnGL Powerball = New- $ 1,900
Bogner Uber = Ebay- $ 1,900 - 2,300
5150 II = Ebay- $ 700
5150 I = Ebay- $ 500-600
VooDoo Mod 5150= $1,000 - 1,200

What do yall think would be a good deal to go with ?

I would say a new amp would be the biggest benefit. As far as which one to buy, it's all up to your preference and your budget. I am a big fan of 5150's but that doesn't mean it's right for you. Have you played those amps? Which one do you like best? You said you'd spend up to 2,000 so you're pretty much open to any of them.

I love the Bogner Ubershall's sound. Tight and massive. Haven't heard it detuned as far as A though so I dunno if it loses any of it's trademark sound in really low tunings.

I never tried Framus, Engl, or Bogner....

But, I had a 5150 combo, and Mk1 5150 Half stack.

I like the sound, but it was too loose and buzzy for me....but that was before I had EMG 81's or Seymour JB, and a Maxon 808 or was tuned to Drop A.

A 5150 might like that sound totally better with that.

I wanna go with Framus or EnGL I think, but not 100%sure.

I'd love to second the suggestions for the 5150, but for the sort of bands you listed, I just don't see how it would produce a suiting sound.

The Fireball can pull some fantastic nu-metal sounds, because it's a very tight sounding amp and has a certain dryness about it sort of like on Opeth's 'Deliverance'. I've never heard the Uber, but people certainly seem to be giving it great critique, so I'd definitely be giving that one a test run if I were you.

ok, I've decided to get a 5150 for sure! At between 550-850 for one on ebay.....you can't beat the price compared to like Framus, Bogner, or Engl.

Now, should I get the mkI or mkII ?

I know the mkII has the added crutch switch (kinda like having a 3rd channel), but I know alot of plp like the mkI for some reason.

Does the mkI really sound much different than the II ?

btw, I will probably run this through my Crate BV412 w/ v30's.

http://www.fjamods.com/5150vs5150II.html

I never use cleans, so mine stays on the lead channel all the time. I don't need the footswitchable crunch, and wouldn't find it very useful, as the volume and gain settings react very differently when that crunch switch is engaged.

If you need 3 channels or decent cleans, look into an XXX. I sold mine for a 5150, but I find I really miss the XXX.

ApolloSpeed said:
ok, I've decided to get a 5150 for sure! At between 550-850 for one on ebay.....you can't beat the price compared to like Framus, Bogner, or Engl.

Now, should I get the mkI or mkII ?

I know the mkII has the added crutch switch (kinda like having a 3rd channel), but I know alot of plp like the mkI for some reason.

Does the mkI really sound much different than the II ?

btw, I will probably run this through my Crate BV412 w/ v30's.
Mark 1