Mutiny Within Mix (by Colin Richardson's Engineer)

TheIllusionist

Chris Clancy
Dec 6, 2008
UK
www.audioworksproductions.co.uk
What do you guys think of the mix on Mutiny Within's debut?

It was done by Martin "Ginge" Ford who is Colin Richardson's engineer.

They have tracks on their myspace:
www.myspace.com/mutinywithin

or if you want better quality, the album is only $5 to download from Roadrunner Records:
www.roadrunnerrecords.com/mwspecial/

I love the balance of all the instruments. There are so many layers, yet you can still hear everything and it has a lot of power.

Its pretty awesome, a lot of my friends agree with that too. But I've talked to Andrew (the bass player for Mutiny Within), and he's said many times that he wishes it was better. I think mainly he had trouble with how the blend of effects and keys / ambiance mixed with the actual music. It could be better in that regard.

I really dig this album. Great guitar playing and great mix, but guitar tone and drums could be a little better, I think.

I was thinking Suecof mixed it, because I knew Jason Bieler was working with them at Audio Hammer. Just looked and saw this:

Production

* Jason Bieler – producer
* Matt LaPlant – engineering, digital editing
* Jason Suecof – additional production, digital editing, additional engineering
* Mark Lewis – additional engineering, additional digital editing
* Michael Leslie – additional engineering, additional digital editing
* Chris Clancy – additional digital editing, art direction
* Martyn "Ginge" Ford – mixer
* Jeff Rose – mixer
* Ted Jensen – mastering
* Viktor Koen – art direction, design, illustration
* Bill Fore – art direction
* Pieter M. Van Hattem – band photography
* Madelyn Scarpulla – art supervision
* Gail Marowitz – creative direction

What do you guys think of the mix on Mutiny Within's debut?

It was done by Martin "Ginge" Ford who is Colin Richardson's engineer.

They have tracks on their myspace:
www.myspace.com/mutinywithin

or if you want better quality, the album is only $5 to download from Roadrunner Records:
www.roadrunnerrecords.com/mwspecial/

I love the balance of all the instruments. There are so many layers, yet you can still hear everything and it has a lot of power.

aren't you in the band? just curious

Haha I am, I've been on this forum for ages and I was interested to see what people thought of the mix on the album. I'm not hiding the fact i'm in the band, just didn't want to post it saying "my band". I think people can be less honest at times or it gets ignored altogether. Always nice to get feedback from people who are knowledgeable on mixing though. Plenty to learn before album 2 :)

Chris

fuck man !!! awesome to see you on here Chris !!
about the mix.. i love it ,, the toms stand out nicely (maybe a little loud , but i like loud toms)
the kick is amazing! overall awesome mix..

Best cd of 2010 !!

ps.. can't wait to see you guys when you come to london ontario with soilwork in november !!!

Cheers man !!!!

i personally love the drums on the album. mainly the cymbals and toms.

i didn't love the guitars, but they were ok. i think a lot of it had to do with comp / editing. some songs have editing mistakes audible at least on my studio monitors... (one specific example is the beginning of images which starts with guitars, you can hear a few small pops in the triplet section of the riff)

the vocals sound great, some of the key stuff could better if sample libraries were used instead of keyboard patches...

if i had to choose one thing that was perfect it would be the vocals. the bass is too dark at times, the guitar tone is too "sm57 on the edge" for me, and the kick sounds pretty fake (i know, such a lame thing to complain about, but its annoying to me, especially with adam d / jason suecof).

the musicality of the album is amazing tho.

Thanks for your feedback guys. We're just working on demos for our second album so I wanted to get a feel for what people had in regards to mix criticism. Maybe the keys weren't loud enough for some people because there was so much else going on. There's so many guitar layers that maybe this got in the way. Might be useful to us to write less guitar layers to free up space for keys.