MXL Microphones

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
There's a good sale on these MXL microphones at Musiciansfriend.com right now. There's a retail price $399 marked down to $79. I heard Condensor microphones were good for vocals because they pick everything up and I guess sound better than a cardaloid microphone, which is all that I have. Is MXL a trustworthy brand and is this sale worth looking into?

B

Which mic are you referring to? I have the V63m and it's very nice, I picked it up when it was $69. I use it on my vocals, acoustic guitar, and as a drum OH if I'm doing the Recorderman method of micing. I use the preamps on my Firebox and it sounds nice, a little lacking on the low end, but nice.

I also have the 990 that I pretty much only use for podcasting nowadays, singing-wise I find the V63m to be a better fit for my voice. The good thing about those mics is, you buy 'em new from MF, and if you don't like 'em, sell 'em on eBay for almost what you paid new. :)

In general, what's the difference for vocals between using a condenser microphone, like the MXL, or say..... the SM57?