My bass eats 9v's for breakfast

Ok, the way it looks is he's using the 2 terminals to break the ground when its unplugged. It should be breaking the positive instead. Theoretically it shouldn't matter but that might be the problem in some weird way. It looks like he did a good job, very clean and used heat shrink.

Yeah ive been using him for years, great guy which was another reason I was tripping out over this. Sadly he dosen't live close anymore so if there is something simple I could do myself id prefer that :)

Yeah ive been using him for years, great guy which was another reason I was tripping out over this. Sadly he dosen't live close anymore so if there is something simple I could do myself id prefer that :)

The only way i know to find the proper pinouts of that jack is if you have a multimeter. Be easy to do, just plug the guitar cable in and put the meter on a continuity test and touch those 2 pins where the black wires are on that jack. If it buzzes then those are the 2 wires that get connected by the 1/4" plug. If thats the case i would try making the jack break the positive wires instead of the neg's. Do you know how to read wiring schematics? I put a link for your pickups in one of my posts. I would just follow that and double check. It's hard to tell you what EXACTLY might be wrong without actually seeing it in person.

Jaymz - As best I can tell from the pics, it looks like the two black wires on the jack are backwards. The way it is, it looks like the batter negative wire is going to the "sleeve" of the jack. This means the battery is never disconnected from ground when you pull out the plug. (I'm thinking the conductive paint in the cavity completes the connection from the jack back to the pots and drains the battery.)

The black wire from the pots should go to the sleeve of the jack.

The black wire for the battery should go to the ring contact in the jack.

If you switch the two black wires at the jack, I suspect that should solve the problem.

Ok, the way it looks is he's using the 2 terminals to break the ground when its unplugged. It should be breaking the positive instead.

Actually, the ground connection to the battery is what is supposed to be broken.

With a cable plugged in, it makes the connection from the battery negative to ground.

remove the cable, and the battery ground connection is supposed to go open.

No you're supposed to have the three connected to the input jack... the ground normally runs from the top of the volume pot to the bridge to ground it, but with EMGs they are self-grounding apparently, so this wire is removed...