My (belated) Top 40 Favorites of 2012

lane_miller

Space Ghost
Aug 31, 2008
Near Raleigh, NC
I always seem to be the last to offer my best-of list. Never-the-less, here it is. While 2011 was the year for established acts, 2012 was the year of the rising newbies, and frankly I think that the newbies won. I lean heavily toward the progressive metal end of the prog-power spectrum. So, if you are not into progressive metal, you should probably pass on taking a look at the list below. I have purchased over 150 new CDs in 2012, so here are the ones that I would recommend – all in my humble opinion are well worth owning. I post the same list on Amazon.com hoping that it might help sell a few extra copies of our favorite artists. That is why the write-ups below are intended to be mini reviews directed toward a more general audience than many of you on the forum. So, let’s get started with my #1 favorite release of 2012:

1) Imminent Sonic Destruction – Recurring Themes, US: Fresh and unique, ISD explode upon the scene. True to their name, ISD delivers acoustic abuse, but also varies the heat, engaging brain and adrenal gland. While not birthday party material, emotions capture emptiness, melancholy, and inner fear. Displaying superb playing, the 16 minute Raven is my favorite 2012 song. Like classics Divine Wings and Metropolis, every note is exquisitely placed.

2) Beyond the Bridge – The Old Man and the Spirit, Germany: A very close #2, BtB delivers a operatic album featuring first-class song writing that creates a mental tug-of-war continuously pulling the attention between excellent male/female vocals and incredible musicianship. Reminiscent of Scenes from a Memory, this concept album advances through numerous crescendos and finishes with an anthem beautifully underpinned by an extended drum barrage.

3) Circus Maximus – Nine, Norway: Prog Power USA heroes satisfy with another blind-buy worthy gem. Nine has a heavier and more progressive edge, making it for me preferred over the splendid Isolate. With Indian scales, Namaste is the work of genius, offering peace provided dominance is assured. Silky vocals and hooks are in abundance on I Am. Eastern influences return on The One along with pervasive progressiveness.

4) Sound of Thunder – Out of the Darkness, US: Heavy metal with classic progressive forays, SoT delivers a staggering punch, particularly rare with female vocals. Nina Osegueda’s black widow beauty draws-in the male spider, but the ferocity of her singing may leave him headless – never-the-less definitely worth his risk. Counterbalanced by equally powerful guitar, Josh Schwartz’s piercing solos echo influences from one Mr. Blackmore.

5) Transcend – The Mind, Canada: With 2 discs and 85 minutes, The Mind is clearly a labor of progressive metal love for this Montreal based quartet. While in the DT part of the genre, Transcend forges a unique identity, possessing humongous crunch, unhurried approach and Floyd-inspired cerebral expanse. Entity Divine is a highlight, splendidly showing off all of these attributes.

6) Affector – Harmagedon, German/Netherlands/US: This all star line-up features Ted Leonard, and talented guitarist Daniel Fries and drummer Collin Leijenaar, who have written all music and lyrics that are drawn from scripture. If you are into Christian metal, then this is your cup-of-tea. If not, I recommend that you give it a try, because there is nothing preachy here, and the prog metal meter is definitely pegged.

7) King Giant – Dismal Hollow, US: Stoner, redneck, doom and southern all describe King Giant’s brand of eclectic metal. There’s nothing dainty or subtle - just a good old fashion butt kicking. Appomattox and A Stewards Prayer feature great guitar breaks and riffs. David Hammerly’s voice reminds me of BTO’s C.F. Turner and exudes pure testosterone. This great release definitely deserves more attention from the metal brethren.

8) Headspace – I Am Anonymous, UK: Rick Wakeman’s son, Adam, and Threshold’s Damian Wilson team-up to bring us one of the best progressive rock/metal hybrids of 2012. Fans of bands like Haken and District 97 will quickly embrace I Am Anonymous and its intelligent political lryics. Given the DNA of the band members, it is no surprise that the chops shine throughout, but accessibility never suffers.

9) Southern Cross – From Tragedy, Canada: Southern Cross’s sophomore effort is a far more introspective and contemplative affair than their debut, but that is not a bad thing. While still very much a prog metal outing, emotion, message and mood are much to the forefront. Tightrope, a complex composition, starts things off with drama and pomp. Poetry leaves us with the sad and tragic story of a broken family and abusive father.

10) Thank You Scientist – Maps of Non-Existent Places, US: The name of the band sucked me in and the music held me captive. Queen-like a cappella harmonies, super tight jazzy riffs, Michael Jackson-like vocals, Chicago-styled horns, weeping string, precision guitar shredding, and top compositions, Maps of Non-Existent Places delivers a truly unique smorgasbord of talent and music. “Broadway Metal” might be a good description. How can you not take a listen?

11) Threshold – March of Progress, UK: It only takes a few notes into March of Progress to know that you are listening to Threshold – all their classic character is right there including their upbeat tone and Johanne James’s wonderful drumming. Too much of a self clone? No sir! The freshness of this release greets you like an old friend. If anything, the sound is heavier and fuller, helped by near perfect production.

12) Orden Ogan – To The End, Germany: Not all power metal appeals to me, but I have a soft spot for Orden Ogan. The BIG choruses, Broadway musical qualities, and Maiden guitars are irresistible. OK, there might be a bit of cheese, but it is done so tastefully that it fits perfectly. While falling a tad short of the brilliant Easton Hope, the fact that Orden Ogan came this close is quite an accomplishment. How ‘bout a US tour?

13) Diablo Swing Orchestra – Pandora’s Pinata, Sweden: While DSO’s previous albums put a smile on my face; I seriously doubted that a band could make a career of this madness. However, I am glad to be dead wrong. Pandora’s Pinata elevates the lunacy to new heights. Their previous offerings shone brightly due to the sheer eclecticism. Pandora’s Pinata has all of that wackiness, but now the musicianship and the production equally shine.

14) Dimension Act– Manifestation of Progress, Norway: This top notch debut continues to demonstrate that Scandenavia remains a formidable force in progressive metal. Expect DT feel, but with plenty of originality, and lengthy compositions. A multi-layered composition clocks in at 32 minutes and is sure to warm the hearts of the progressive faithful. Length doesn’t necessarily mean quality, but quality is what you get with this album.

15) Orange Goblin – A Eulogy for the Damned, UK: I have to admit that I hadn’t listened to Orange Goblin until this release. All that I can say is that I need to dig into their lengthy discography. As clean and pristine as Headspace is, the Goblin is rough, ragged, raw, and rockin’ - in a truly beautiful way. Definitely shades of stoner, doom, and a good dash of defiance are all to be found in their music. They definitely have defined their trademark.

16) Kamelot – Silver Thorn, US/Sweden: I have to be honest and say that I didn’t think that they could successfully go on without Khan, but I am delighted to be proved wrong by Kamelot and Tommy Karevik. All stops were pulled out on this release with great writing, playing, concept story, artwork, and a terrific limited edition. There is not much doubt that this is the best comeback story of 2012.

17) Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster: Exegesis, UK: I rarely get attracted to an album because of the percussion, but TNBD’s Exegesis is an exception with marvelous drumming from Alex Rainbow. On the instrumental Fractal, his drumming combines with the riffing guitars to create a mesmerizing sense of urgency. The tracks with vocals are very much there to further build the heavy atmosphere. Some of the vibe from TNBD reminds me of Riverside.

18) Caligula’s Horse – Moments from Ephemeral City, Australia: Guitar virtuoso Zac Greensill and Jim Grey (from that great Aussie band Arcane) combine forces on this intriguing album. The first track, The City Has No Empathy, opens with such tasteful and technical guitar work that I thought that I was listening to an instrumental album, which would have been fine, but when Grey’s haunting vocals started I knew that I was in for a real treat.

19) Suspyre – Suspyre, US: Progressive metal artists Suspyre return to challenge the listener with their “on-steroids” version of progressive metal. However, this third effort sports more accessible compositions and sound. Don’t worry that Suspyre has mellowed or somehow are attempting to become more mainstream. No sir, there is more “progressive” in one of their songs than most bands can achieve in an entire album.

20) Furyon – Gravitas, UK: Get ready to head bang with Furyon’s debut album of straight ahead high-energy metal. First-class vocals, catchy hooks, big riffs and flashy guitar are executed so well that there is plenty to hold the interest of this prog metal junky. Disappear Again charges out of the speakers like stampeding stallions. Voodoo Me is such an infectious bluesy romp that it also included as an acoustic bonus.

21) Epica – Requiem for the Indifferent, Netherlands: I have to admit that I wasn’t completely sold on Epica. But Requiem for the Indifferent has changed that. The song writing has really ratcheted up a notch. The growling is more subdued and far less distracting. Simone’s vocals are as angelic as ever and put to great use on the catchy Storm of Sorrow. Choir-like vocals with synchronized breaths open enchanting Delirium.

22) In the Silence – A Fair Dream Gone Mad, US: Desolate, cerebral, emotional, original, and heavy are all descriptions for the music by In the Silence – think Riverside with a much more metal sound. The vocals are beautiful and melodic, and contrast in a wonderful way with some really thunderous backing. There is a very contemporary air to their music. I think this band has a lot of upside, and could see them appealing to a younger audience.

23) Adrenaline Mob – Omerta, US: With misters Portnoy and Russell, it would have been impossible to ignore this release, which is generally heavier and closer to pure metal than either of their bands of origin. But inclusion on this list is purely based on its merits. Guitarist Mike Orlando more than contributes his share to the effort. The compositions are generally compact, not embellished, and feature some nice hooks.

24) Katatonia – Dead End Kings, Sweden: Katatonia describe themselves as “Sweden’s masters of melancholy”. Based on this latest release, I can find no fault with their claim. Melancholy oozes from every note. While definitely not uplifting, I don’t find Dead End Kings to be depressing. To me, their music expresses real human emotion. Good balance of heavy and lighter music creates texture that helps bring their music to life.

25) Bad Salad – Uncivilized, Brazil: You’ve got to love the name of this band. For a debut, Uncivilized is a very professional affair. The playing, sound quality, writing, and art work are at a standard of more established groups. Comparison with DT is inevitable, but the differences include a vocalist who is very different from LaBrie, and generally a darker and heavier sound. Bad Salad would seem to have a bright future.

26) Downspirit – Bullet Proof, Germany: I advocated for Downspirit when they released their debut. Bullet Proof is even stronger, affirming my support. Downspirit has the ability to sound both retro and modern at the same time. Injection of the blues and use of harmonica give that classic rock feel, but their delivery is contemporary. Their writing style has broad appeal with the potential to gain a considerable following.

27) Damnation Angles – Bringer of Light, UK/Norway: This powerful debut will appeal to fans of Kamelot, Serenity, and Nightwish. Wall-of-sound, epic symphonic metal is a description. Vocalist “Pellek” has amazing pipes and is possibly the best new talent in years. His range is amazing with the ability to hit high notes without falsetto. Pellek is surrounded by great musicians and guitarist Will Graney is a talented writer.

28) Heaven’s Cry – Wheels of Impermanence, Canada: Heaven’s Cry is not a new band with it’s start in the 90’s. After a seven year break, they deliver their third album and I am glad they did. Experimental and progressive, this album pleases with thought-provocating lyrics, virtuosity, and passionate delivery. With two vocalists, Heaven’s Cry often features duets that complement their edgy sound, not ever sounding sweet or poppy.

29) Delain – We Are The Other, Netherlands: If I weren’t so damn old, I would have a crush. I had a picture taken of Charlotte Wessels and me a couple of years ago – one of my all time favorite metal photos. Rest assured that Delain is more than a pretty face. Heavy backing combines with Charlotte’s lovely natural voice to create a very pleasing sound. If they visit the US again, I will be on an airplane to catch a show.

30) Earthen Grave – Earthen Grave, US: Excellent doom is delivered by this Chicago-based band. An interesting twist to their sound is the inclusion of a violin throughout, not just snippets here and there. Some of their songs include solos where guitar and violin trade ripping licks. Their sound remains firmly in the doom sub-genre and not traditional symphonic metal that you might expect with the incorporation of strings.

31) District 97 – Trouble with Machines, US: American Idol Top Ten Finalist, Leslie Hunt, and her band mates follow-up their debut with this strong offering. Back is the super rhythm section, jazz infusion, and of course Leslie’s fine voice. One difference to these ears is a somewhat heavier guitar sound, which given the talent of Jim Tashijian is greatly appreciated and positions District 97 between prog rock and prog metal.

32) Distorted Harmony – Utopia, Israel: Utopia is a highly refined prog metal debut. There is no doubt that DT has influenced another band of highly talented musicians. Kono Yume starts out with piano and orchestration, and then builds into a progressive workout with dynamics shifting between heavy and lighter moments. The use of piano provides a classy touch to their music.

33) Spheric Universe Experience – The New Eve, France: SUE’s fourth release is enjoyable and a bit disappointing at the same time. A shift in musical direction is clearly evident. The compositions are compact, easily accessible, heavy, and probably more appealing to a broader audience. And it works quite well. The disappointment is the loss of much of their progressive nature, which given the quality of their first two albums is unfortunate.

34) Tetrafusion – Horizons, US: I usually don’t include EPs on my annual list, but Horizons is such high quality prog metal that I had no choice! The tightness of the band, rampaging drums, and a beautiful sound, which allows each instrument to standout, makes this a winner. Bass lovers will find much to munch on and the guitar is sharp and punchy. Tetrafusion continues to hone their unique brand of intelligent progressive music.

35) MirrorMaze – Walkabout, Italy: Strong, distinctive melodic vocals help this gifted outfit from Italy stand out among an ever increasing number of bands charting a course through progressive metal waters. Many tracks feature catchy choruses that contrast nicely with aggressive backing. Good use of lighter moments and tasty acoustic guitar create an appealing diversity of sound.

36) Flying Colors – Flying Colors, US: Progressive genre superstars Portnoy, LaRue, Morse, Morse, and vocalist Casey McPherson join forces to create a very enjoyable prog rock album. I am not familiar with McPherson, but his earthy, emotive voice is a joy to hear. Everything is here that you would expect from this bunch and yet it offers freshness. I love how the album starts out with a sound check.

37) Prototype– Catalyst, US: Prototype is the “prototype” for progressive thrash. Brief quiet can be found in a few intros, but maximum mayhem is what Catalyst is about. Prototype has the ability to not over complicate and yet retain that distinct prog slant. Piercing solos cut through the mix to good effect. Muscular vocals fit perfect with the onslaught. The song Catalyst wastes no time in igniting exothermic reaction.

38) T.R.A.M. – Lingua Franca, US: This is my eclectic artsy choice of the year. Members from Animals as Leaders, The Mars Volta, and Suicidal Tendencies come together to form T.R.A.M. Eight string guitar shred, expressive woodwinds and horns, and heavy jazz drumming meld together to create truly innovative music. If you like to experiment, then give this a listen. If you don’t, then stay away.

39) Lanfear – This Harmonic Consonance, Germany: The strength of 2012 is exhibited by how far down my list this excellent release resides. Lanfear continues to blend melodic, power, thrash, and progressive metal together in a way that produces a distinctive sound. This Harmonic Consonance features excellent production that perfectly suites their aggressive and percussive riffs.

40) Jeff Loomis – Plains of Oblivion, US/Various: Jeff and his amazing chops return on this second solo effort. As if his shredding wasn’t enough, he invites Marty Friedman and Tony MacAlpine to mix it up. This time there are tracks with vocals. Christine Rhodes sings on the driven Tragedy and Harmony, and the subdued Chosen Time. Her lovely voice is juxtaposed with death metal vocals from Ihshan, who performs on Surrender.

Last edited by a moderator:
24) Katatonia – Dead End Kings, Sweden: Katatonia describe themselves as “Sweden’s masters of melancholy”. Based on this latest release, I can find no fault with their claim. Melancholy oozes from every note. While definitely not uplifting, I don’t find Dead End Kings to be depressing. To me, their music expresses real human emotion. Good balance of heavy and lighter music creates texture that helps bring their music to life.

Have you heard Woods of Ypres-- Woods V: Grey Skies and Electric Light from 2012?

Wow, that Caligula's Horse is excellent! Kind of reminds me of Redemption, the vocals set a similar kind of tone to "This Mortal Coil".