My Best Mix Yet!! FTFD Style + Tone Match

rchoi54

Sep 5, 2009
Lansing/Ann Arbor, Michigan
The band I recorded is called From Rise to Ruin. They told me they were going for a FTFD feel, so I tried to match FTFD's tone (for Relentless)

Although Sturgis used kick 10, i just used kick 7 for whatever reason, other than that check the guitar tone and the bass and the EQ on the vocals! I think I nailed it pretty well.

We just finished tracking a couple hours ago, so I'll be posting with bits of change here and there in the next couple weeks!

Comments are appreciated, thank you!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3371179/frtrINTRO.mp3

bass needs more low, and guitar needs better carving IMO. I hear a little phasing going on with the guitars also. good writing though, I like the vocals, maybe needs a hi pass? or maybe a little more hi's? bass needs to brought out more, I like being punched in the face by some good ol' bassiness!

Is it phasing as GearMan pointed out or the guitars are getting slightly out of tune in the end?

I wouldn't turn up the snare, it's fine w/me, but there's one small thing that seems out of place - the reverse-like sounding synth or a cymbal in the last verse - it doesn't fit there, IMHO. Never the less, apart from the lack of a bit of bass guitar, the whole song is a really good mix - I like it.

The mix is lacking low-end. Guitars sound like they're phasing or out of tune. Cymbals could stand to come up, the reverse-cymbal hit at 1:00 is much too loud, too. At 1:36 it sounds like the vocalist is hockin' up a loogie.