My DAW Pc build

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
I've decided to get a PC that doesn't suck and I don't want to build it myself. Cyberpower PC seemed to have the prices I was looking for. I am going to use this computer for recording which will also involves lots of sample libraries for film scoring. I'm also using it for web browing and to watch videos on. I'm not going to be playing games though. Maybe in the future (I know I'd need a new GPU). What do you guys think?

CASE: AZZA Silentium 920B w/ USB 3.0, Noise Reduction Material
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six-Core 3.30GHz 15MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler w/ PWM fan - Efficient Cooling Performance
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer
SSD: 256GB ADATA SP610 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 560MB/s Read & 290MB/s Write
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card
MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/2400MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X99 Extreme6 ATX w/1 x Intel LAN, 1 x Atheros LAN, 3x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1,1x Ultra M.2, 10x SATA 6Gb/s
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
NOISEREDUCE1: Power Supply Gasket
NOISEREDUCE2: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - Corsair CSM Series CS850M 80 Plus Gold Certified Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Price: $1,610USD

Everything looks good to me but I would add a couple more drives. For me, in a production machine, you want the following:

1. OS - SSD, absolutely
2. Active sessions - SSD, really helpful to have the speed of an SSD on your active sessions, only keep what you're currently working on here.
3. Samples - softsynths and drum samples - HDD; good to have these off the session drive if you're a heavy VSTi user.
4. Archive Sessions/backup - HDD, this can be 1 drive or two; this is where you keep your non-active sessions and backup of other things (drum samples, plugins, settings, etc)

If you can swing an extra SSD for active sessions on top of what you have now, I think you'd be in a good place.

yeah I do plan on doing that soon but for now that is all I have. I'll probably start with combining the OS drive with the active sessions and then have the sample libraries on an HDD. I have two external harddrives already for backup.

yeah I have one 256 SSD and 1 2tb HDD along with two external usb
harddrives

btw all that shouldn't cost more than 1400 USD.

I don't know if you are gaming, doing 3d art, bitcoin mining or video editing, if not you don't even need a video card or you could get one later if you wanted to. The power supply is high quality and a bit overkill, you could go cheaper with 600-700w and silver or bronze certificated but that one you chose it's very, very good. Overall the choices are good and "future proof" if that makes sense so that you won't need to upgrade in like 7 years or so.

exactly what I wanted. I want it to last at least 5 years. I'll of course add more RAM and SSD along the way. I was thinking baout forgoing the video card for now but I do plan on doing film scoring which I would need video imported into cubase. I don't know if that will matter or not. Also if I'm only paying that much over 1400 USD then I am happy to hear that because I knew I would be paying more having th em build it for me.

well I ordered the PC last night. I can't wait to try it out! I don't want to know how long it'll take me to install all my software again though! Now I'll have no more excuses not to work on music more. Anyone here using a multiple computer setup? I know film composers seem to do it quite often with all their sample libraries. They use additional computers as slaves. Not that I'll be doing that any time soon. I'm just curious about it.

do you guys think this is going to be reliable? I really hope so because I'm broke now lol. The PSU is much better than the generic stock ones that come with the computers from them but I hear it still isn't the greatest. Not sure if I believe it though. I just don't want an array of computer problems like my current (outdated) one. Of course the current one is a core 2 quad with a very old MOBO!