My Dying Bride - A Line Of Deathless Kings

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
My Dying Bride - A Line Of Deathless Kings
Peaceville Records - CDVILEF150P - October 9th, 2006
By Brandon Strader

MyDyingBride-ALineOfDeathlessKings.jpg

From the first chugga-chug-chugs of A Line Of Deathless Kings, it is easy to tell the album will be a lot more uptempo than Songs of Darkness, Words of Light. It even sounds a lot less depressing when the vocals enter, following along with the basic melody laid down by the guitars. The introduction to their last album was absolutely classic. Their last album is probably one of the best, if not THE best doom album of all time. Needless to say, they could probably never top that, and if they had I would be truly amazed. A Line of Deathless Kings does not top their last album, doesn't even come close, but it seems to be directed in a different area. Rather than trying to make this extremely sad-sounding stuff, the guitars are faster, the tempos faster, and for the most parts, growls are gone... only making a couple brief appearances during the whole album. The vocals that introduce "To Remain Tombless" even sound a bit wimpy, and generally not Stainthorpe's best. It will have you wondering, "Oh my God! Has the guy lost it?!" The answer is no, as the chorus quickly attests. I'll just shrug it off as a creative choice. I was so determined to love this album after the immense joy of Songs of Darkness, Words of Light that I actually lit a bunch of candles, burned some incense, laid on red satin sheets covered with rose-petals and began listening... for maximum effect, of course.

That is the biggest dissapointment, I think. Their last album was utterly depressing, and Stainthorpe's vocals made me want to drive blindly off a pier while listening, and no - that's not a metaphor. Life-shattering performances are what made their last album so great. It almost made you want to put a bullet in your head after listening, or perhaps hang on just so you can hear it again... The upside of the new album is that there is definitely more varied guitar performances, and leads. The broodingly mournful harmonic lead sections are pretty much vacant on this release, and the lead sections that do arise are not nearly as harmonic as they could have been. Near the middle of "L'amour Detruit", the song mutates into a very atmospheric acoustic verse with a nice acoustic broken chord accompanied by a squealing guitar lead and some lightly layered vocals. "I Cannot Be Loved" begins to display some of the sorrowful sound they mastered on Songs of Darkness, Words of Light, though it doesn't quite reach that level. Also the vocals are a lot better here than they were in the beginning of the album, so I suppose that really was a creative choice... About 1/3 of the way into the song, it speeds up with some chuggy guitar leads and throws the verse back in at a slightly higher tempo. This might be the most enjoyable song to sing along with! Ahh I can see it now, The "My Dying Bride Singalong Collection" and what joyous karaoke fun we could have with that! About 2/3 into the song, and it really starts to deal out some slower doom riffs that slowly merge into an acoustic performance of the same riffs. Overall, A Line Of Deathless Kings seems a lot thrashier than their previous album with the exception of the occasional excursion of straight-up doom metal the way only My Dying Bride can do it.

All this sorrow over some chick. Really Stainthorpe, she's not good enough for you! Break up with her and start singing happy songs about cute little puppies, and flowers. I take that back; keep torturing yourself with your impotence and releasing magnificent doom records! Oh yeah, and keep crooning about your disdain for God. "Deeper Down" is the thrashiest track on the album, and also the most uptempo. Of course they chose this one to be the single. The vocals are surprisingly perfect on this track. The double bass sounds like someone hitting a plastic coffee can with a spoon... It's unique, I suppose, and really sounds better than you are probably inferring at this moment. Odd, I didn't notice that sound of the bass drum until this song. Perhaps because this is the first one to actually use a fast double-bass. The song really doesn't sound depressing or sad at all, and is actually enjoyable, and due to the heavy tremolo guitars, headbangable to the max. Oh, and the growls are mainly in this song! They are spectacular, thick, and demented. I just wish they would have appeared more often on the album. Stainthorpe's growls always sound fantastic on the albums, though perhaps he is limiting them because he is losing the ability? In conclusion, this is really an album you can grow to love for what it is, but you really shouldn't expect it to be as depressing or touching as their previous album. Despite not surpassing the glory that was Songs of Darkness, Words of Light, it is still great and will probably receive just as many spins. Definitely worth buying!

8.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official My Dying Bride Website
Official Peaceville Records Website

Sounds good, can't wait to get my hands on a copy. What make MDB so good is their versatility. No two albums were the same and they were never meant to be the same.:headbang:

Reactions: BrandonS
i think this release is definitely better than 'Songs Of Darkness...', which was a bit disappointing for me. a fine album with interesting, diverse songs. nothing overwhelming like 'Turn Loose The Swans', but definitely one of their better albums.

Oinkness you are an idiot. This is by far the worst MDB have ever come up with. Aside from a few brilliant moments (the last half of "Love's Intolerable Pain" for example) the majority of the album is boring, bland, uninspired and sounds like MDB have run out of ideas. This is a 6.5 at best. Unlike ALL other MDB releases, "A Line of Deathless Kings" does not have its own character or identity, it instead sounds like leftover riffs quickly thrown together. Disappointing.

Oinkness said:
Their last album is probably one of the best, if not THE best doom album of all time. Needless to say, they could probably never top that, and if they had I would be truly amazed. A Line of Deathless Kings does not top their last album, doesn't even come close, but it seems to be directed in a different area.

Are you saying their last album was better than Turn Loose the Swans? Better than Jerusalem/Dopesmoker? Better than the original fucking Black Sabbath album? To you maybe, but I think you need to revist, or listen to some goddamn doom albums.

There was nothing new on the last My Dying Bride album Songs of Darkness that hadnt been already done before in previous albums. Moreover, I dont feel the songs were any better or more refined than those found on Turn Loose the Swans or The Dreadful Hours. And furthermore, Turn Loose the Swans set the foundation they;ve used for every "non-experimental" album.

I've not heard the new album; but in the future, my god, dont just throw around words, "This and this album is the best album ever" Especially if your opinion is far from the consensus.

Thanks, folks, for following the Irritating Elitist's Review Script. No, stating that the artist's older stuff is better does not make you seem cooler. It makes you the same as those black metal retards that say that it if it isn't recorded with a 4-track and sounds like bees in a can, it isn't "troo kvlt".

I give the reviewer credit for actually having the courage to admit that he liked a more recent album by MDB (oh the shock!). Have you considered the possibilty that bands sometimes improve over time?

Are you saying their last album was better than Turn Loose the Swans? Better than Jerusalem/Dopesmoker? Better than the original fucking Black Sabbath album? To you maybe, but I think you need to revist, or listen to some goddamn doom albums.

My opinion? yes, yes, and yes. I'm sorry, black sabbath is over-hyped crap with a horrible singer and crappy tone. TLTS is good, but is non-coherent and the songwriting is less polished compared to later albums (specifically The Dreadful Hours, which has some of my favorite MDB songs).

Now you may be a "true doom fan" and I am not - I cut my teeth on old in flames and testament and now listen to opeth, nevermore, and agalloch among others - but i think the somewhat faster pace of A Line of Deadless Kings is great. It's another solid release with it's own voice, distinct from the others, that cements my appreciation for MDB's ability to produce a beautiful, depressing, and crushing soundscape.

longfalcon13 said:
I'm sorry, black sabbath is over-hyped crap with a horrible singer and crappy tone.

You better be sorry after posting one of the most ignorant statements I have EVER fucking read in my lifetime.

You ignorant fuck.

I'm not even going to comment on the beginning of your post.

longfalcon13 said:
Thanks, folks, for following the Irritating Elitist's Review Script. No, stating that the artist's older stuff is better does not make you seem cooler. It makes you the same as those black metal retards that say that it if it isn't recorded with a 4-track and sounds like bees in a can, it isn't "troo kvlt".

I give the reviewer credit for actually having the courage to admit that he liked a more recent album by MDB (oh the shock!). Have you considered the possibilty that bands sometimes improve over time?

My opinion? yes, yes, and yes. I'm sorry, black sabbath is over-hyped crap with a horrible singer and crappy tone. TLTS is good, but is non-coherent and the songwriting is less polished compared to later albums (specifically The Dreadful Hours, which has some of my favorite MDB songs).

Now you may be a "true doom fan" and I am not - I cut my teeth on old in flames and testament and now listen to opeth, nevermore, and agalloch among others - but i think the somewhat faster pace of A Line of Deadless Kings is great. It's another solid release with it's own voice, distinct from the others, that cements my appreciation for MDB's ability to produce a beautiful, depressing, and crushing soundscape.

Its pointless to argue objective opinions in music. That was my partially my point for taking said reviewer to task for making his "best ever" statement when he is supposed to be a somewhat objective reviewer.

And my point about Turn Loose the Swans is, it represented a total revolution for the band and doom metal. The addition of the violins that they started in a few songs from Trinity were used to wonderful effect; the whole album was fresh, unlike other doom albums, full of emotion that has diminished as the band refines the same formula. It begins sounding familiar and fomulaic, it loses some emotion, the freshness of a new sound etc.

I really dont understand the Black Sabbath comment. Crappy tone, horrible singer? My god, those are some of the best goddamn parts of the original album.

It IS pointless to argue opinions for music - my thoughts about black sabbath illustrate that. note i said "crappy singer, crappy tone" two comments that are purely subjective.

the point of my post is that i too often see knee-jerk elitism among metalheads when big names of various genres release albums. it is especially true of niches like black metal and doom metal. it's possible that what MDB have made the last few albums isn't technically doom metal (that doom metal even would have a technical definition is hilarious) but I like it. my point is that arguing the quality of the album should not be restrained by what genre you want it to be in.

in other words, saying "this album sucks because the earlier stuff was troo doom metal" overlooks that it doesn't matter what genre it is, as long as it's good. on the other hand, this review of A Line of Deathless Kings seems to be a fanboi review, and i would agree it's probably not a good review.

BTW: I don't mean to insult those who like black sabbath; it just isn't my cup of tea. by the same token there is alot of music i listen to that i'm sure most of you would ridicule (dimmu borgir comes to mind).

And my point about Turn Loose the Swans is, it represented a total revolution for the band and doom metal. The addition of the violins that they started in a few songs from Trinity were used to wonderful effect; the whole album was fresh, unlike other doom albums, full of emotion that has diminished as the band refines the same formula. It begins sounding familiar and fomulaic, it loses some emotion, the freshness of a new sound etc.

that's a good point - experiencing music in the context that it was released into is key. when iced earth's burnt offerings came out it was pretty good for it's time - but over time iced earth have not really progressed from that point. while some of the newer stuff is fun to listen to, it's not really groundbreaking.

there is something to be said however, for bands that can do pretty much the same genre from release to release, and make it seem new and fresh each time: in my view, MDB, opeth and nevermore.

I've never much of an MDB fan, but something bout this release makes me question that stance. Must look into them some more.