my dying bride question

Puzzlebox

Jan 20, 2006
what's the reason they dropped the death vocals..?

I used to try and listen to them before I got into death vocals, but found I couldnt do it...

Now that I am into death vocals, mostly because of Opeth, because of great music, I am curious why MDB dropped them. With their live stuff, it appears Aaron is still able to perform in this fashion, but they choose not to...

Was it a musical choice?

I hope Opeth does not choose to drop the death vocals.

Now that I am more into death vocals, I really wish MDB hadnt dropped them. I need to listen to their earlier stuff now, I guess, pre line of deathless kings...

Well their first release without the growls, 'The Angel And The Dark River' is definitely one of their strongest. But they have returned to using growls, I'd even say that his growls now are stronger than before they stopped using them.

Yeah, there's, what, one album sans growls? Good stuff, all of it.

EDIT: OP is sorta confused about MDB, I think...

Yeah they still use growls quite often. I only like two songs by them, Cruel Taste Of Winter and My Hope The Destroyer cuz those songs have so much swing and catchiness to them, compared with any other of their stuff.

Well they have some growls left, but most of the part it's clean. Listen to Catherine Blake and the (random) ending to The Blood, the Wine, the Roses.

For me, it doesn't matter. I like Aaron's clean vocals a lot. And seriously, the growls on latter records aren't the same as before (in other words, they're not as good).

You really should check out
this MDB DVD...

fde-dvd-2_medium.jpg

Its great, imho of course. ;)

long ago (around 1995) a friend of mine introduced me to mdb's "the angel and the dark river". this friend, he wasn't into metal at all, but he liked that record pretty much, as well as some of their older stuff, eg. "as the flower withers". at that time i couldn't really do with the death vox on atfw, but taatdr struck me as pretty beautiful in its sadness. nevertheless, it took several years until i bought that record for myself. i copied "the light at the end of the world" from another friend and that's a nice one, too. but still, the track i love most is taatdr's opening track "cry of mankind". it has this 6-note guitar lick carrying through the whole 12 minutes of the song. once, i watched an mdb concert fabchannel.com and one of their guitarists actually played that licked for the whole song, he had nothing else to do during that time. must get pretty boring after a while, although it's a great lick.

so, what's the point in this post? dunno. just my personal experience with mdb. maybe one day i should check out some more of their stuff.

^ Nice reply.

There are 2 versions of "Cry of Mankind" on
the above DVD IIRC

There are 2 versions of the cover art
the above one is the better one imo...

Do yourself a favour, grab one off of
e-pay, you will love it, especially the
song, "Forever People." :kickass: :headbang:

Here is the vid on u tube...

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: