My Dying Bride - The Sexuality of Bereavement cover (need suggestions)

Terminus

Apr 19, 2009
Two things I keep coming back to to when I hear it are the hi-hat maybe not having enough sustain and might be tuned/eq'ed wrong and the lead needs a hammer-on in one spot instead of picking both notes (you'll probably be able to tell which one I'm talking about) but that I can go back and redo no prob. Anyway, if you guys could point out problems you hear I'd appreciate it. This is actually the 2nd time I've recorded the guitars all the way through, tried to hit the chords hard as fuck since it's so slow. I'm not really trying to emulate the original version, just trying to make it sound nice and punchy.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/994726/Sleepwalkers - The Sexuality of Bereavement_2nd_draft.mp3

Great tone...guitars sound very accurate in feel. Hihat sounds unrealistic and the drums are a bit "so there"...but i am listening back on office speakers so can't comment much. But nice cover!

Additional comment is the snare/kick sounds similar in tone.

Ok so the drums need work, as usual. :lol: Thanks! Not sure about the multitracks, as soon as we get vocals on it I'll decide in whether it's worth posting those.

Dude, I missed this when you posted, this is one my favorite MDB songs!

The mix is pretty cool, sounds very wide and heavy, nice job! I agree the hihat might be the only thing bugging me, sounds a bit too harsh in the high mids, MDB's hihats are typically even harsher, but in the highs IMO. I doubt Eqing would fix it much though, that tends to lie in the tone of the cymbal itself.

If you don't post multi-tracks, I'd still like to do vocals on it for fun, I just did vocals for Deathprayer's cover of She is The Dark (Gonna mix them and post it in the thread) and enjoyed it a lot, this one should be great fun.

Sounds good Dan with the vocals! I love that song. I am always looking for help with vocals in the black/death range for my original music if you are interested.

Sounds good Dan with the vocals! I love that song. I am always looking for help with vocals in the black/death range for my original music if you are interested.

I'll do it for fun and practice, but Mike already has an awesome singer for this, I imagine Caleb would be doing the "official vocals" cause he's the perfect voice for it.

About your songs, send me something and if I like it and can make time for it I'll gladly do it. You can hear my deep death growls in my band's album, just click the banner in my signature. And here's a goofy black metal song I did a couple of years ago: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u.../Trakian Forest - El Diablo Esta en Traki.mp3

Sorry to derail Mike's thread, moving on :lol:

Really great sound. As for the hi hats, maybe try to do a parallel compression of the overheads and smash it... I found that it brings more "motion" to the cymbals.

I'll do it for fun and practice, but Mike already has an awesome singer for this, I imagine Caleb would be doing the "official vocals" cause he's the perfect voice for it.

About your songs, send me something and if I like it and can make time for it I'll gladly do it. You can hear my deep death growls in my band's album, just click the banner in my signature. And here's a goofy black metal song I did a couple of years ago: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u.../Trakian Forest - El Diablo Esta en Traki.mp3

Sorry to derail Mike's thread, moving on :lol:

Sorry I completely forgot about this thread anyway. I havent done anything with this either, been busy doing other electronic stuff. Yeah Caleb is going to do these when he gets the time, it's actually supposed to be on our next release in some form, already got the ok from Peaceville. So yeah I'm going to work on those drums at some point and use some different sources. Thanks guys!