My fave cover of all time.......

I have that one on a Scorpions tribute. Not bad, but the original doesn't make me shiver either.

My favorite cover will probably be Heavens Gate version of Judas Priest 'The Sentinel', but there are a lot more I like, I'm a big sucker for covers records.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I love the Scorps, I never was real big into that song. Avalon absolutely nails it though. Of course Chity could sing the phone book and it would sound great, but the whole band really did a great job on that cover.

Bryant

Well, I love 80's Scorpions and I love Chity (Red Circuit/Avalon etc.) singing.... so this has to be good. Right ?

http://www.myspace.com/avalonlive/music/songs/alien-nation-42307057

Bryant

My mom used to play 80's/90's Scorps all the time. I'm more a fan of their 70's material; that would be one of my favourites by them, and a great cover for sure.

My favorite cover will probably be Heavens Gate version of Judas Priest 'The Sentinel', but there are a lot more I like, I'm a big sucker for covers records.

That was fantastic. And cover albums are indeed fun. :)

As far as favorite cover song, personally I'd have to go with Voivod's rendition of "Astronomy Domine". However, Priest's "The Green Manalishi" + "Diamonds and Rust" also deserve a special mention.

My favorite cover will probably be Heavens Gate version of Judas Priest 'The Sentinel',

Funnily enough, one of my all-time favorite covers is Heaven's Gate covering Animal by Dalbello (a Canadian new wave group that Queensryche famously covered on Rage For Order).

My favorite cover would probably be either Machine Head's cover of The Sentinel

Not really a fan of Machine Head, but I checked out that cover and it's really good. Solid production and performance. The raspy vocals remind me of Ripper Owens a bit - without the screams of course.

Funnily enough, one of my all-time favorite covers is Heaven's Gate covering Animal by Dalbello (a Canadian new wave group that Queensryche famously covered on Rage For Order).

Yeah that song is fun. Didn't know it's origin until now, thanks for the info.

As far as favorite cover song, personally I'd have to go with Voivod's rendition of "Astronomy Domine". However, Priest's "The Green Manalishi" + "Diamonds and Rust" also deserve a special mention.

Great calls indeed.

Priest is tough to beat.

My favorite cover would probably be either Machine Head's cover of The Sentinel or Megadeth's cover of These Boots Are Made For Walking.

Not crazy aout Machine Head, but haven't heard that cover.

Having said that, I really can't stand death vocals, but I love the Dummy Burger cover of Metal Heart. Somehow it fits that song well.

Bryant

I usually only get excited about cover songs when they're really adding something new to the song (i.e., crossing genres or giving a real twist to the original).

One of my fave covers:

Led Zep I album basically qualifies as well.

I love the original too and probably would never have heard it had it not been for the cover but the Metallica version just has the edge for me. Lyrically one of my favourite songs ever!

LOVE that cover. To say nothing of the music video! It completely blew my mind as a kid - I had never seen anything like that before. Talk about "the end of innocence!"

I remember back in 98 (or was it 99?) WRIF here in Detroit posted a 3 minute sample of the song in real media format on their site. I listened to it every day for probably a month until the CD came out.

Defleshed's cover of Mötley Crue's Red Hot is awesome. Never have listened Crue but that song sure kills. Eviles cover of Cemetery Gates is worth checking out too maaan.

Not originally a metal song, but tech thrashers Realm did a badass cover of "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles.