My first airplane experience

This blog is set to private. This user must add
you as a friend to see his/her blog.:erk:

Why not post it on this website?

If we keep getting reffered to Myspace what is the point of going here?

Don't kill this thing.

I have a 17" laptop monitor nimrod!

Oddly enough, the term nimrod used to mean "a swift hunter" or something like that back in the day....how did it come to mean something along the lines of dork or retard?

C'mon Steve-O, post your blog in here at a font size bigger than 1.7:p

~B

Ok, but only because you called me a nimrod. :loco:

A Weekend to Remember (my first flight)

Where do I even begin? I’ve spent my entire life afraid of these big metal air boats just assuming I’d never actually get on one. But my desire to see Scotland, Ireland and Germany some day put a little bug in the back of my mind that told me I’d eventually have to cave in and bite the bullet. This past weekend I finally did it.

For weeks the anticipation and fear consumed my life and everything I did was revolved around just getting through this terrible ordeal. The fear of sitting in the terminal with my heart racing, then walking down that make shift tunnel that leads to the impending doom only to be sent racing down a mile long stretch of runway to eventually become airborne stopped me from concentrating on work and music and everything else. I don’t know how many times, after being asked a question about events in April and May I responded with "Let me just get through Easter weekend and then we’ll worry about the future". It was like getting blood taken...I just couldn’t wait to get it over with (Not a big fan of needles and losing blood either)...

So, Thursday night rolls around and I was out with several friends and I couldn’t get it out of my mind. I just wanted to go home and go to bed, wake up and get to New York safely and AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. But I spent most of the night packing and didn’t get to bed until midnight.

At 3:15 my alarm went off. I hit snooze twice (giving me 18 more minutes of sleep). Then I rolled out of bed and went straight to the shower. From there everything happened so fast. I was out the door, in the truck and off to Sorrell’s house by 4:15, where he was already in his Suburban waiting for me, so we were leaving Fairfield by 4:35am.

The adventure of getting to the long term parking was almost enough to cause Sorrell to nut up. The signs led us astray and we ended up back on 101 south, going as far as Burlingame (way past the airport) before we got Jax on the phone (she was driving up from San Jose) and she guided us back in the right direction and actually ended up right in front of us to lead us to our destination.

Parked and ready to go, we grabbed our luggage and headed to the freezing cold shuttle boarding zone where we became human popsicles for fifteen minutes before finally getting on the shuttle driven by that Rastafarian head thing from the Harry Potter movie (you know? The one that drove the double-decker bus like he was a participant in the Indianapolis 500). We sped through streets and tunnels and under things and over things until we were finally tossed out and onto the pavement in front of the U.S. Airways terminal.

After our bags were checked in we went through a security zone that proves the 9/11 incident still has a huge impact on the way things are done in airports (I even had to take of my shoes!). As soon as John, George, Mary, Barbara, Tsing-Chun, Olaf and the other security guards were finished looking at our I.D.s and we were allowed to go beyond the nylon strip maze, Sorrell and I hit the restroom to relieve our bladders. There were no urinals left, so I grabbed a stall and laid my boarding pass and ID on the toilet paper rack, then took off my jacket. It took me no longer than ten seconds to take care of business, but, upon grabbing my jacket, I unknowingly sent my boarding pass and driver’s license airborne and down under the wall of the stall to the adjacent compartment. I didn’t realize my goof up until we were sitting in a café drinking coffee. Upon realizing what had happened I had to practically run back towards the restroom area right outside the security zone. There was nothing there. No one could help me. Ruh Roh Shaggy.

The looks on the faces of Sorrell and Jax were priceless….and ones I hope to never see again. We were scheduled to board in five minutes and I had no ID, which would result in me being stuck in New York. I had one final recourse. I headed the other direction to the gate. As soon as I rounded the corner several US Airways employees and security people were pointing at me. I knew instantly that they had found my missing ID and boarding pass. The guy in the stall next to me apparently watched as they sailed under the wall and landed at his feet. He tried to catch me but I was off and running, so he did the right thing, taking them straight to the gate. I waited just long enough to listen to the story of how this fortunate outcome came to pass before heading back to get Sorrell and Jax. The guy at the gate was shouting out to me that I needed to hurry because the plane was leaving any minute. What a rush.

So we reunited, headed back toward the gate, then boarded the plane before I could even catch my thoughts. My heart was pounding from the almost-disaster and all of the running back and forth. After all the leading up-to-this moment-events, we were finally here. Things had been so hectic and in fast motion since our arrival at the airport I really didn’t have time to think about anything else, so it hit me all at once. We taxied towards the runway for a few minutes and I closed my eyes and held onto the seat as the pilot hit the throttle. So far so good…not scary at all. But I knew it was going to be bad here any minute. I asked Jax how much longer it would be and she replied "Steve, we’re already in the air". What?! Where was the G-forces my brother had told me I would feel? Where was the stomach dropping out of my body feeling I was told I would get when the plane left the ground? Where was the loud clanking of the landing gear being sucked back up into the plane? This was nothing!!! I looked out the window and "Oh my God!" How awesome!!! Suddenly I was hit with the regret of not having my eyes open during take off.

I thought for sure I was going to need to put my headphones on, turn up the songs in my IPOD as loud as they would go and try to sleep. But "No". I spent the entire four and a half hours joking around with Sorrell and Jax and staring out the window (seeing the Mississippi was unbelievable!) with very little time to listen to any music. The flight was uneventful with little turbulence and not once did I feel any kind of panic or fear. The landing, however, was going to be scary….right? I mean, something had to live up to my expectations so I could justify my wussiness (yes, that is a real word....in the Koelling dictionary). Hell no! It was like being on a roller coaster! This was the greatest experience of my life!

As soon as we got off the plane I couldn’t wait to board the one in Charlotte that would take us to Albany. This time I had to look out the window and watch as the ground left the plane. What an incredible view! I can’t believe I was so scared all these years! This was nothing! All gloves were off now. Once we hit New York I actually got wasted on Friday night while bar hopping with DaveH (I very rarely go there – and never intentionally)… I tried swordfish for the first time (I was afraid of weird food like that) and loved it! I jumped a huge hurdle this past weekend that has forever changed me.

The radio interview went very well, but this blog is long enough so I’ll post more about that over at the band’s forum. My most memorable moments from the flights were flying over the Rocky’s and seeing the snow capped mountains and all the lights from the ski resorts, flying over the Mississippi, landing (in general) was just fun!, and descending into San Fran. What a beautiful city and view! I owe my buddy Jax big time for this incredible experience. She’s the best!

Sorry I missed the interview. I'm glad the flights went well. I knew you'd love it once the terror wore off! Now you know why I love to fly. 2 hours to vegas baby!

Z

I have flown into Russia , Africa , all over the US and Europe and have never had a interesting story to tell. Except the strip search and cavity check in Russia , but I don't wanna talk about THAT.I do have a packet of K.G.B.K.Y. they let me take as a gift though.The rough life of a rock and roll sound guy.....LOL