My first interview!

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
Some of you may know I'm in a band. Well, we did a show last week and a friend who writes for a small ass local metal paper called The Berkshire 'Banger (yeah, I know it sound like the nickname of a rapist) was there, and did a little interview with me. So I decided to gloat and post it here and share it with my fellow Milano moshers! I'm posting it because I basically kiss Billy's ass when the guy asked me who my frontman influences are. I also give a tribute to Dime at the end of it. Enjoy!

For those who don't know, Cryptkeeper is a local death/thrash/grind metal band fronted by Tom. They recently played a show in front of a good number of friends and others who were invited. I was invited, and after the show, I was lucky enough to get this interview with the frontman, Tom.

BB: Great show, thanks for taking the time for doing this interview.

TC: Thanks. I jumped at the chance for this interview, it's my first!

BB: It isn't that big of a deal, we're a very small publication you know?

TC: Yeah, but for me and the band it's a big deal.

BB: Ok, for those who don't know, give us a quick history of the band.

TC: Well, at first it was just a few friends who got together to jam. But then we started to get better, and started doing covers. We though we sounded pretty good and decided to stick with it. We've only been playing and writing our own stuff since last year.

BB: You play a mix of death metal, grind and thrash with some other elements thrown in. Who are some of your influences?

TC: Man, we have a ton of influences! The top two are Slayer and Pantera.

BB: Do you have any influences on your style of vocals?

TC: No, but as a frontman, I've got some big influences.

BB: Like who?

TC: Well, number one is Billy Milano of S.O.D./M.O.D.

BB: Why Billy?

TC: Man, Billy speaks his mind, and isn't scared to. He's got balls, and writes what he want's to write about. I know I'm kissing his ass, but you asked the question. He really IS the rebel people love to hate. He's a Bush supporter and expresses that, even though the majority of the metal scene is very liberal. I have nothing but respect for that kind of attitude.

BB: You seem to express your views in the music quite often.

TC: I write what I think. It's a great way to express different things.

BB: You don't seem to be a big fan of metalcore. You even made an anti-metalcore comment on stage tonight. You also have anti-metalcore lyrics. What's your problem with the genre.

TC: Lots of thinks. First, all the music sound identical. Bands like Atreyu and 18 Visions are hard to tell apart, because of the music, the lyrics and the way they look. Lyrically, it's all "my girlfriend left me, I'am a big pussy wah wah wah!!!"

BB: Haha. Not a big fan of "love and girls" lyrics?

TC: If it's done the right way. Like Hank Willams Sr. That guy could write a song about heartbreak and not fag it up like those metalcore bands.

BB: Have you ever written a song like that?

TC: About a girl? Well, like a dipshit I did write one, but I doubt we'll record it unless I take some of the gay elements out of it.

BB: Haha. Is it about a ex-girlfriend?

TC: No, I girl I want to fuck

BB: Haha. You did two Anal Cunt covers tonight. Why those two, and why that band?

TC: I've always loved AC. Ever since I discovered them I have. The songs we did, "I Lit Your Baby on Fire" and "Into the Oven" are my favorites off the "It Just Gets Worse" record.

BB: I read that Seth is out of a coma.

TC: He said on his website that he's in rehab. Get well soon Seth!

BB: I see your wearing a Moonblood shirt. Do you like a lot of <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&k=black%20metal" onmouseover="window.status='black metal'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">black metal</a>?

TC: Yeah, I love black metal. I'd like to try my hand at it one day. I will probably suck at it.

BB: You said Pantera was one of your biggest influences. You must have been shocked when you heard what happened to Dimebag.

TC: Yeah, it felt like I just lost a friend. I've loved Pantera for so long it's hard not to feel that way. Dime was a one of a kind guy. I was lucky enough to meet him in 2000 on the Pantera/Slayer/Morbid Angel tour. He was one of the coolest, most down to Earth guys I've ever met. He chilled with the fans, talked and signed autographs. He was a legend on the axe, and will truly be missed. R.I.P. Dime, see you at the cemetery gates!

BB: If you could tour with any band who would it be?

TC: Hmm, Superjoint Ritual. That would be fucking fun!

BB: Well, that's all. Thanks again! Keep up with the music and get that fucking demo out!

TC: Thanks, and believe me, we will finish that demo!