My first listen of Astral Doors

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I am already familiar with Nils Patrick Johanson as I saw Wuthering Heights live (at one of the ProgpowerUSA shows) but somehow I let Astral Doors continue to slip through my fingers even though I had a friend of mine give me two discs of theirs years ago. I finally checked out "Evil is Forever" and I am totally digging the musicians. .
The musicians on the faster songs fill that void in my ears that Tad Morose left when they went on hiatus. I love that driving twin guitar attack. in fact, they sound closer to TM as far as their rhythm guitar structures on three or four songs on this disc than anyone else I have ever heard. Great guitar tone as well. The drumming is not up to TM's level, but still adequate.
NPJ I like at times and at times he tends to way over accent his vocals. Everyone says he is a Dio clone, but at times he sounds exactly like Tony Martin as well. He sounds more like Ronnie than Tony most of the time, but their are times he sounds exactly like Tony. Does anyone else here that ? It's a bit freaky.

Anyway, those two guitarists (don't even know their names yet) are fucking badass rhythm players !! I am going to go to their site.

Bryant

Astral Doors is one of my favorite bands thesed ays and the main reason for me to go to PPIX. Although the last album is not as good IMO as their predecessors still kick ass. The band has 4 LP and one EP straight almost one a year, one of the most prolific not to mention Nils energy to be in AD, WH and also in the new Lion´s Share (highly recommended btw).

He joint prior to the recording of the last album, and trust me is one of the best of the year. "Emotional Coma" is a must be for 2007.

NP: Bloden Wedd - 'Winter Son'

Well you have a headbanging pal for PPUSAIX. I am digging Astral Doors.

Bryant

Astral Doors is one of my favorite bands thesed ays and the main reason for me to go to PPIX. Although the last album is not as good IMO as their predecessors still kick ass. The band has 4 LP and one EP straight almost one a year, one of the most prolific not to mention Nils energy to be in AD, WH and also in the new Lion´s Share (highly recommended btw).

Just found an 2003 Astral Doors "unreleased album" floating around on the net. Sounds pretty good... not sure why it wasn't released. Tracklist:

01. I Don’t Give A Damn
02. From The Sky (Cloudbreaker rough mix)
03. Turn It On
04. Backbeat Lemonade
05. Side By Side
06. Sold My Soul
07. Look Into My Eyes
08. Stay The Night

'Backbeat Lemonade' probably because of it :lol: