My first mix in my new building

brianhood

No Care Ever
There are a few things about this particular mix that i'm not especially happy with, but i'm getting use to my new control room. My biggest problem in the new place is the low frequencies. It seems to be a lot more bass heavy in this room, so im having trouble figuring out how to get the low end to sit in the mix.

The drums are pretty much my usual. Slate kick 10z3, slate maple toms z1, but the snare is a sample i made in my new tracking room. It's a big room, so i wanted to try out some "real" drums, so i can start weening myself off of slate samples eventually. It's a Black Beauty 13" snare, so not a whole lot of body to it, but it has a nice crack. I did drop the pitch by 5% in drumagog though.

Guitar was just podfarm, and bass is sansamp RBI. On the section where it's just bass and drums, there is a maxon OD 808 on there as well.

Another big issue in my new building is vocals. I tried doing it in my drum room, and it's a bit too echoey in there, so it's very apparent with the amount of compression used. I'm building a vocal booth in my control room asap to fix this problem.

let me know your thoughts dudes. I'm eager to make more drum samples and try out my 5150 in this new room

The vocals are too loud listening in headphones.

It's 4:20 AM here so I couldn't listen through my monitors.

But listening on headphones, the vocals become VERY fatiguing.
Maybe some more compression?

However, the vocals are definitely very crisp and clear! :)

Also, this may just be personal taste, but the kick drum seems like it needs more click?

It just seems muffled.. I'm not sure?
Or maybe too much in the 2.5K area?

Remember, I'm listening on headphones, so take this with a grain of salt! :)

Cheers, mate.

Sounds amazing overall, though.

The vocals and kick are too loud. Kick sounds really good though.

Focusing more on concerns that may stem from the new setup... Not much to complain about. I fuckin love that snare sound. Brian, now that you're finally working in this new building and such (very sick btw) I think you really need to try to incorporate more organic techniques. You definitely have a live room for it now, an ear for it, and the talent.

ps strategically placed bass traps in your control will clean up your low end issue.

can't wait to hear new mixes and updates :kickass:

Vocals and kick (especially vocals) are too loud as it was said, vocals are not consistent too, lower screams are louder than higher ones (at least when the higher ones start coming).

I'm not too fond of the kick to be honest, but if it's your usual drum sound then it's just a preference thing I guess.

IMHO think the clean guitars stand out a bit too much, and it has to do with the tone, which is pretty bland. The distorted guitars, especially on the tremolo picked part, sound pretty digital. A lot of nitpicking but the mix, as a whole, sounds pretty good. Snare is really great.

Vocals are so fucking fatiguing, daaamn. But apart from that, this sounds good. I'd say the kick is perfect.

and if i may add, my compliments to the band for this gorgeous clean section, this is fucking beautiful \m/

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/536384/this Horrible machine/Mix 1/Mix 1 song 3.mp3

There are a few things about this particular mix that i'm not especially happy with, but i'm getting use to my new control room. My biggest problem in the new place is the low frequencies. It seems to be a lot more bass heavy in this room, so im having trouble figuring out how to get the low end to sit in the mix.

The drums are pretty much my usual. Slate kick 10z3, slate maple toms z1, but the snare is a sample i made in my new tracking room. It's a big room, so i wanted to try out some "real" drums, so i can start weening myself off of slate samples eventually. It's a Black Beauty 13" snare, so not a whole lot of body to it, but it has a nice crack. I did drop the pitch by 5% in drumagog though.

Guitar was just podfarm, and bass is sansamp RBI. On the section where it's just bass and drums, there is a maxon OD 808 on there as well.

Another big issue in my new building is vocals. I tried doing it in my drum room, and it's a bit too echoey in there, so it's very apparent with the amount of compression used. I'm building a vocal booth in my control room asap to fix this problem.

let me know your thoughts dudes. I'm eager to make more drum samples and try out my 5150 in this new room

how come people arent yelling at you for editing / punching the crap out of those guitars

I'm not digging this mix at all, sorry Brian. I've really loved some of your material, but this isn't doing it for me.

Kick and vocal issues have been addressed. The vocals need ambience. I feel like there should be some reverb on 'em. You may be worrying about the overcompression issue a little, lighten up on those vocals. They just won't sit in the mix.

Also, the guitars are over-edited, the chords... don't sound like chords inbetween transitions.

I think you should give this a go from scratch again.

I would try to cut some nasty low-mids out of that bass.

how come people arent yelling at you for editing / punching the crap out of those guitars

because i'm not famous yet hahaha :lol:plus im a n00b

and thanks for the input guys. definitely helping me get started in the right direction in my new place.

As far as the vocals are concerned, i didn't compress them nearly as much as usual because of it showing the room ambiance too much(and not the good kind of ambiance that a reverb would give)

You want something with a pretty heavy emphasis on highs and lows and not much midrange, in this case. You want something that has a nice chime to it. The 5150 can actually do some pretty chimey cleans if you know how to dial it in.

my best 5150 clean tones had bass 10 mid 0 treble 0 i shit you not
neck pickup
always

but if you want a really good clean tone just go get a fender twin and chime the fuck out

I guess since my 5150 has upgrades tubes and trannys/mods, it makes a difference. I've never had the treble and mids off on my 5150 for anything. I don't reamp clean often. Maybe I'll write some clean stuff in the near future and show you, Gareth.

now now gareth and joseph, play nicely ;)

the vocals are a bit fatiguing, perhaps, but i quite like the mix overall. the clean section in the middle didn't seem to work at first, but at the end of it, i was loving it!

i have to agree with joey about cleans through pod farm. pf is very versatile, and there are some awesome clean tones to have.

one last thing, i see what you mean about making bass freq's sit in the mix properly, it's not quite as clear as your other mixes. reference with your own mixes in the room, perhaps?

once more, awesome mix, i hate you, etc..

thanks,