My First Mix - Metalcore

XNightrage87X

New Metal Member
Apr 8, 2011
Temecula
Hey guys, this is the first full mix that I've done and posted. I've learned so much from these forums and want to thank all of you for the advice you guys give. Please give any constructive criticism you can! I mixed these using my bad M-Audio AV40's(Planning on upgrading very soon), so I did the best I could. I hope there wasn't too much low end in the mix that I could not hear due to these monitors. Hope you enjoy the music! Please let me know!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10029722/NiC.mp3

Well, great mix but there's really too much low-end in the kick (sub-frequencies) and it's a bit too clicky for my taste.

Yeah for the most part it is good, but it seems that the bass is made up of everything below 100Hz, and I prefer a bit more midrange on bass. You could possibly be a bit more daring with the panning of your leads though. What you've got is to the point but boring to listen to mix wise. I usually go for two tracks playing the same lead riff at say 60% either side, and the harmony part in the centre.

Edit: I'm guessing you're a fan of Sturgis :p

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Yeah, I'll definitely try to fix the sub-frequencies in the kick, and adjust some of the bass EQ to throw some more mids in there. My monitors make it hard to hear what's going on in those areas.

Well, great mix but there's really too much low-end in the kick (sub-frequencies) and it's a bit too clicky for my taste.

Agreed with Redline. Too much lowend on the kick. Try cutting some of that out to make space for the bass, which will make it even BIGGER! Great mix though man, props. I'd prefer more verb on the snare and less ring on the toms, but that's just mho. :)

Thanks for the input Lane. Yeah, I have a 60 Hz Tone on the Kick, so I lowered that some, and lowered the low end on the Kick EQ. For the toms, would I just need to find the frequency in which the ring lies and take it out?

Try Hipassing your kick out from 50hz and your bass from 70hz, and gtrs from 80-100.
Then you should be able to adjust it to your liking, those numbers don't guarantee shit though.

I adjusted around this and everything sounds way more balanced, I just got new monitors that actually pick up the low end way better than my previous ones. The one thing I was having trouble with is trying to get the ring out of the toms. If anyone has any tips to help me out that would be much appreciated! I'm using SD 2.0 - TMF for the toms.