My first mix, please critique it!

RobStorms

New Metal Member
May 26, 2012
What's up guys I recently started learning Pro Tools with a boot camp tutorial I found. This track I used in conjunction with the videos for a hands on learning . This is my first track/mix I have made in recording software. I am going to use it to promote my guitar lessons and hopefully soon enough promote myself for recording purposes.

I recorded with my ESP EC1000 & Schecter Hellraiser through amplitube amp sims and used superior drummer for the drums.

The middle riff doesn't have bass yet so may sound a little weak.

I am new at this, just want constructive criticism so I can get better

Last edited by a moderator:
The Guitars are really muddy, and try to tweak the amplitude for a better tone ( the better your raw tone, the less eq u have to use ) and try using filters and limiters, The Leads are nice but u need to compress it more and make it sound really bright

The Bass tone needs to work

Drums : Work on reverb, try using steven slate triggers , different snares and stuff

i think you are new to this forum, but in few days man you will learn alot of stuff if you keep hanging around here alot often , look out for joey strugis forum too and one thing my friend i am also a beginner in production too :D ( so i am also kind of training my ears ), watch out for more people replies, there are really awesome producers on this forum :D

Drums: They sound like superior, bone stock. Try different samples, tuning the drums differently and adding some reverb and compression to them outside of superior. Down the road you can try blending superior with other samples to make a new drum tone. The snare had some trouble cutting through at times. Try a bit more EQ'ing.

Leads: A bit too fizzy for my tastes. Experiment with narrow cuts in the fizzy hi frequencies.

Guitars: This is the big one for me. The guitars are basicly not EQ'd probably. They have an abundance of low/low-mid frequencies. Overpowering everything else when you palm mute.
Try a hi-pass filter at 100hz and find your particular setups resonant frequencies. On my setup usually I need to make a cut around 160hz, but you should try pinpointing yours. I'd suggest to start around 140-240hz starting with slight, narrow cuts to try and clean it up a bit. If you find that your tone suffers as a results of cutting the low-mids, try adding a multiband compressor to tame those frequencies when you palm mute.
I couldn't make out what part of the sound was the bass. Once you've removed some low end and low-mids from the guitars, you will be able to properly make a bass tone that works. Do be careful, though, as it usually takes less bass than it seems to make a good mix.

Mastering: I'll assume you're hammering everything with a limiter. IMO you overdid it and the mix is pumping too much for my liking.

And welcome to the forum!
I'm by no means a pro, but I have gotten better and better since I joined this forum. You can learn a lot around here if you care to look around.
In the past, my mixes had many of the problems that I mentioned above. Hope this is useful to you in some way. :D

Thanks so much guys:)

Yeah I noticed the pumping, I think it's caused by the gentle limiting compress I put on the master, really tightened up everything but also caused that.

The guitars are eq'ed but I'm new at it and wasn't sure what I should cut, I'm gunna try to get the best raw sound I can.

I will take all that into consideration and remix and post in here.

holy fucking shit
(no disrespect, we all start somewhere)
remove everything that is in the mastering chain, make sure the mix doesn't clip (go past 0dB) and please post again. we can't help you at all until you do that because all the transients are destroyed.