Thrash Metal Rapucore: Critique this mix please

Apr 5, 2015
NY
Hi guys,
I've thrown some basic EQ, compression, reverb on the track(no automation yet). My question is where to go next? What does it need? Your constructive criticism is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

ps. what a fabulous track

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I'll start....I find the low end to not be clear or have the kind of punch I want and I find the rhythm guitars to be a little weak(I'm holding off from turning the gain up because I like this gain level).....

help me out, what do i do?

I would suggest increasing around 120hz on the bass to make it hum a little more, which will also make the guitars sound a little fatter and I would also suggest using a different reverb vst on the vocal track, that one doesn't sound very good. When you set up your reverb for the vocals, make the size of the reverb a little bigger than what you have now, so that it becomes almost too much in a sense, and then just turn down the wet signal on the reverb until it is just "there, but still doing something" because I think the vocals are really good, you just have them way too colored with that reverb. Otherwise I would say the overall mix is good.

Sounds good man, I think the cymbals could be a little bit louder.

How are you panning the guitars and what amp/amp-sims are you using?

Here's my mix of the same track.

hi,

you can try a touch of delay on the vocals too. but very little. i don´t like the snare, it´s too sharp. maybe this is only my view. turn the hats and the ride a few db down. they could get a bit more thumb. and not that much low end eq as in the second mix. it´s too boomy.

best
jens

I would suggest increasing around 120hz on the bass to make it hum a little more, which will also make the guitars sound a little fatter and I would also suggest using a different reverb vst on the vocal track, that one doesn't sound very good. When you set up your reverb for the vocals, make the size of the reverb a little bigger than what you have now, so that it becomes almost too much in a sense, and then just turn down the wet signal on the reverb until it is just "there, but still doing something" because I think the vocals are really good, you just have them way too colored with that reverb. Otherwise I would say the overall mix is good.

Thanks man great suggestions, I implemented them in the mix below let me know what you think. I ended up buying valhalla reverb and using it in the way you advised. Am quite pleased with the result.

Sounds good man, I think the cymbals could be a little bit louder.

How are you panning the guitars and what amp/amp-sims are you using?

Hey, turned up the cymbals in the 3rd pass below, it gives the song a different feel, not good or bad per se, but the up front cymbals need some automation to prevent them from distracting from the song, i'll put in some automation on the overheads.

all guitars are using lepou 456 with different settings and cabs, rhythm guitars are panned hard right, leads are not panned hard.

check out the latest version below

hi,

you can try a touch of delay on the vocals too. but very little. i don´t like the snare, it´s too sharp. maybe this is only my view. turn the hats and the ride a few db down. they could get a bit more thumb. and not that much low end eq as in the second mix. it´s too boomy.

best
jens

I tried some slapback on the vocals but I didn't manage to make it sound good so i dropped the idea:)...the snare is definitely sharp, I cut some low mids on the snare because I found this song to be heavy in that area...I could possibly bring it out but I've always been partial to sharper sounding snares...hopefully over time I'll tame it better.....I didn't really understand the thumb part....i realized the second mix is boomy, have a listen to the one below, I mixed these on headphones(no monitors yet) so yea i expect the low end especialy is not behaving, thanks for the feedback Jens

Thanks for the feedback guys it's really helpful